Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

Did I just see a Deni Harrell pick n roll?  

That was nice, really nice finish from Harrell on that play.  And a nice little pop by Deni to drain that three at the end of the third too.  He's in a smooth rhythm tonight.

Defense was awesome during the first three quarters.  That's how you build a big lead on the road without your best player.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

13 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Pretty good stat line by Avdija.  Kispert, on the other hand, not so good.  I didn't watch the game maybe he played solid defense.  

Kispert played worse than his stat line.  He’ll be ok, bad games happen.  

It’s nice to see the Wizards just play good basketball against a bad team.  They didn’t come out sleepwalking expecting a win, but maintained the defensive intensity and won easily as a result.  

Wizards have one more easy one against the Pelicans coming up and then a tough stretch.  Two against each Charlotte and Miami.  Including a road back to back.  It’s early in the season but those games will matter for playoff seeding.  

• Like 1

Just going to enjoy this November level of play while it lasts because I don't think Montrezl Harrell is going to play at an MVP level for much longer.  His numbers are insane right now.  .334 win shares / 48 puts him on pace for like a 16 win share season if the team continues their win/loss ratio.  To put that into context, that's slightly better than Jokic's rate from last season where he led the league in the metric and won the MVP.

Whatever happens next, the team stumbled upon some magic with Harrell and Kuzma, and I think they need to be extended.  Their defense has been so much better than we could have anticipated, and their offensive contributions have been pretty huge.  Harrell's dominant finishing in the paint has been what we searched for the entire Wall era.  And he seems like the kind of intense player who isn't going to completely lose his legs as he ages like most bigs.  We've got to keep him.

I also think we're going to need Bertans and Hachimura to show up at some point this season to maintain enough of a pace to stay on track for the playoffs.  Especially to keep pace for a home playoff series.  Beal hasn't shot well, and I don't trust Kuzma, Kispert, Avdija, and KCP to space the floor against good D.  And we need more interior scoring options than just PnRs to Harrell when the offense bogs down from range.  For all of their flaws as players, Bertans and Rui have pretty good gravity and I like the potential balance of line up combos with them and Kuzma/Avdija.

It's crazy that this team is the one seed.  Don't know what's going on in Milwaukee or Miami, and Philly and Brooklyn are dealing with a lot of off court stuff that has hampered them.  Seems like all of those teams will eventually get right and supplant us.  But I do think this team is built for regular season success because of it's depth.  And it found an early harmony that could last, and winning and playing good basketball builds good habits that also last throughout the season and even into the postseason if we make it.  We're not done getting better either.

• Like 1

Not having a legit seven footer is hurting us tonight.  Jonas is bullying both of our bigs.  Gafford more than Harrell, but they’re both getting it.  

Ingram looks like one of those dudes that smoked so much weed they never came all the way back down.  

oh no Kispert.  lol. 

• Haha 1