Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

22 minutes ago, Hersh said:

You can't just wish there to be flexibility. If KCP has his option picked up, there isn't flexibility. 

What option are you talking about?  Both pro basketball reference and spotrac have his contract is not fully guaranteed. 

The question we should be asking is how much cap space do we get back if we cut him in the offseason.

@Hersh looking at our best start since the 70s and be like...

nj02sbmhlq861.jpg

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'm not in it for a few weeks or a season of good basketball. I want years of being good. I'm tired of bad contracts being given out by this team. We just saw a supermax cripple this team for years. I'm not in a hurry to give one out to Beal. 

KCP contract is partially guaranteed for about $4m I think. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

$134. Just under the tax line. I was thinking the tax line was $131 or $132 and I knew they were under it. The point remains the same. They are up against or over it was those two contracts. Gotta have a backup PG and SG at a minimum plus need a true big center. Another reason I didn't understand the Kispert pick when there were guys available that could serve one of those roles next season. They could use KCP in a trade to acquire a couple of pieces from a team looking to shed cap space. 

That Bertans contract is the big killer here. Not having that solves some of the cap issues. 

What big did you want to grab instead of Kispert and have they shown that they are going to be materially better than Todd?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I'm not in it for a few weeks or a season of good basketball. I want years of being good. I'm tired of bad contracts being given out by this team. We just saw a supermax cripple this team for years. I'm not in a hurry to give one out to Beal. 

Its all good, man, but cmon, Wall's contract only crippled the team because his knees crippled him. We were regularly going to the second round of the playoffs when he was healthy. 

Blame those team building errors on Erine for doing stupid stuff like not getting KD and blowing that open cap space on bad contracts like Ian instead, not Wall's fault at all.  We were basically winning in spite of our GM, not because of him.

40 minutes ago, Hersh said:

KCP contract is partially guaranteed for about $4m I think. 

Feel free to correct me on this, but wouldn't cutting him in the offseason give us an extra $10 million to play with? I'm sorry, but i don't see this dire need to unload Beal because of our cap situation, and this doesn't help your case at all.

We don't play Chicago until January, but we have three games against Miami and a west coast trip between here and then.  I say we revisit this team's potential after the 1/7 Chicago before writing us of as an unsustainable fluke, fair?

14 minutes ago, Hersh said:

PG or SG instead. 

Who?

Also, the idea of getting a shooter off the bench on a rookie salary allowing them to dump Bertans wasn’t a bad idea.  Now Kispert has been disappointing thus far, but it’s too early to give up on him.  They have had excellent back up guard play for under 6M with Neto and Holliday.  Kispert may not work out, but it wasn’t a bad thought process for using that pick.

The story all season last year was that the team didn’t play a lick of defense and now that they have a 3 and D wing on a team with three other scorers, we don’t think he’s worth having?

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Who?

Also, the idea of getting a shooter off the bench on a rookie salary allowing them to dump Bertans wasn’t a bad idea.  Now Kispert has been disappointing thus far, but it’s too early to give up on him.  They have had excellent back up guard play for under 6M with Neto and Holliday.  Kispert may not work out, but it wasn’t a bad thought process for using that pick.

The story all season last year was that the team didn’t play a lick of defense and now that they have a 3 and D wing on a team with three other scorers, we don’t think he’s worth having?

Who is the 3 and D wing you are talking about?

The Wiz have had solid backup guard play. But the point of Kispert isn't about this year it's about getting a player ready for next season. Think beyond 10 weeks and future seasons. 

11 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Who is the 3 and D wing you are talking about?

The Wiz have had solid backup guard play. But the point of Kispert isn't about this year it's about getting a player ready for next season. Think beyond 10 weeks and future seasons. 

KCP.  I know you think he is trash.  And you think Beal is trash.  And you think the Holliday pick up was dumb.  Is our defense better than last season?  Why is that?  

And why won’t you say who they should have drafted at 15?  Why are you going to wait three/four years down the line and then say who they should have drafted in hindsight?

You also killed Shepherd for the Dinwiddie deal.  Hoping we couldn’t create the space to sign him.  Now you want two of him 13 games in. 🤣

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 1

I own being wrong about Din so far. Hope he stays healthy. Dude has the clutch gene and seems like a good person, which I appreciate more these days.  

There was really only one person right about the Wiz back on draft night or a few days after: @abdcskins

I don’t view any player as trash but I view them to how they match up to their contract. KCP at $5M is better than KCP at $13-14M.

Beal at $33M is way better than Beal at $42-55M per, which were the projections around draft day and I would assume that hasn’t changed. 

Harrell, relative to his contract, is spectacular. He’d be a great value at $18M too. 

On 8/15/2021 at 6:45 PM, Ball Security said:

Saw something on bleacher report (trying to get clicks) about trades for Lillard, Simmons, and Beal.  They had Beal and KCP for Kuminga, Wiseman, Wiggins, and Moody.  I’d do that (have a future 1st added) if I could line up other trades for future picks to trim the roster.  Go into the season with: 

Dinwiddie, Holiday, Neto

Wiggins, Moody

Kuminga, Kispert, Deni

Rui, Todd, Gill

Wiseman, Gafford, Bryant.  And then add a few futures for Bertans, Kuzma, Harrell.  Build around Kuminga, Wiseman, and Rui.  Have a sharpshooter off the bench with Kispert and a developing 3 and D wing in Moody.    May be able to move Wiggins and Bryant as the season goes on.  That wouldn’t be a bad way to rebuild, IMO.

I saw this and thought it was me that had typed it back then. 😉

• Thanks 1

It is interesting reading all the posts from a few months ago. Nobody wanted Din at $25M. Everybody was in agreement that there weren’t enough minutes to go around. That has sorted itself out unfortunately, cause I’d rather see Rui balling. 
Be interesting to see how all these comments look 4 months from now. 

Btw, as we talk about the Wizards and the cap, I’m just insanely jealous of GS. They are way over the cap cause money is no concern. They also have the best team, are super deep with some really solid young players/prospect and don’t even have Thompson or Wiseman back yet. They fleeced Minnesota and they are set for another 5 year run. 

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

KCP is trash, but he’s good trash.  Great locker room/glue guy with a winning pedigree.

And you never know…he may finally fix that jumper when he’s 30.  It can happen.

KCP also happens to be one of Beals best friends.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

It is interesting reading all the posts from a few months ago. Nobody wanted Din at $25M. Everybody was in agreement that there weren’t enough minutes to go around. That has sorted itself out unfortunately, cause I’d rather see Rui balling. 
Be interesting to see how all these comments look 4 months from now. 

Btw, as we talk about the Wizards and the cap, I’m just insanely jealous of GS. They are way over the cap cause money is no concern. They also have the best team, are super deep with some really solid young players/prospect and don’t even have Thompson or Wiseman back yet. They fleeced Minnesota and they are set for another 5 year run. 

I envy their passing.  Unlike the Wizards they have off ball movement down to a science.  They’re never standing around and they all seem to know who is going to be cutting before they even start moving.  They’re moving almost as well on defense right now too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ball Security said:

This you?

he was 7-25 with 10 boards, 3 dimes and 5 turnovers that game. Do you think that’s good? For the season, he’s been trash for someone wanting a supermax deal. Stats and 4th quarter play back that up. 

Edited by Hersh

24 minutes ago, Hersh said:

he was 7-25 with 10 boards, 3 dimes and 5 turnovers that game. Do you think that’s good? For the season, he’s been trash for someone wanting a supermax deal. Stats and 4th quarter play back that up. 

It’s not a good game.  But I am not the one who called him trash and then said that I don’t view any player as trash when called out about it.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

It’s not a good game.  But I am not the one who called him trash and then said that I don’t view any player as trash when called out about it.

Okay dude. I'm sorry I didn't say it exactly to your liking. From here on out, if a game is going on, I will make sure I clarify any comment about a player as to whether I mean it for that game or for the season or for their career or if it's about their character. Will that make you happy sunshine? 

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

There was really only one person right about the Wiz back on draft night or a few days after: @abdcskins

To be fair, @Destinogot a lot right as well. Don't want to leave anyone out.

57 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Okay dude. I'm sorry I didn't say it exactly to your liking. From here on out, if a game is going on, I will make sure I clarify any comment about a player as to whether I mean it for that game or for the season or for their career or if it's about their character. Will that make you happy sunshine? 

To be fair, @Destinogot a lot right as well. Don't want to leave anyone out.

Saying a guy is trash and a guy is playing like trash is entirely different!!  I said Beal was shooting like trash because he was!  But he ain’t trash!

• Thanks 1