Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

In related news…

Yikes.

I dont get it, jus a little reading the rockets are saying they don't want to play him, get him hurt, and ruin his remaining trade value.  That they are moving in another direction and nothing he actually did wrong himself.  That really sucks, man.

18 minutes ago, Destino said:

Him and Kuzma.  Tough choices ahead.  

It might not be so bad, but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Harrell and Bryant are free agents at the same time, thats easy, let Bryant walk.  

A year later Kuzma and KCP are both free agents, I say let KCP walk and give some of the money to Kuzma.

The Bertans contract loons worse by the minute in context.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/WAS.html

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont get it, jus a little reading the rockets are saying they don't want to play him, get him hurt, and ruin his remaining trade value.  That they are moving in another direction and nothing he actually did wrong himself.  That really sucks, man.

I feel bad for him.  He’s stuck in limbo, and while he isn’t what he was, he’s too good to be out of basketball.  

I don’t feel too bad though, cause he’s getting paid crazy money.  His professional situation is bad right now, but he’s thriving,

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Kyle Kuzma said hecklers motivated him, that the ending was "their fault." He said it was Cavs fans had a sign that said "Without LeBron, Kuzma wouldn't have a ring." He told them: "Cleveland wouldn't be **** without LeBron."

When Kuzma came over in the Westbrook trade, I was eager to flip him.  Thought this would be a big year for Rui and Kuzma would eat into his minutes.  I was wrong and I’ve done a 180 on him.  He put up some really bad shots mid game.  But he keeps shooting.  Like he said in the post game, he’s very confident and believes every shot will go in.  I’ve come around on him.   I believe his career can take off here.

40 minutes ago, Destino said:

Him and Kuzma.  Tough choices ahead.  

Rui and Kuzma are up at the same time. Hopefully Shep moves one to get future/other assets cause unlikely to keep both. 

23 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It might not be so bad, but maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Harrell and Bryant are free agents at the same time, thats easy, let Bryant walk.  

A year later Kuzma and KCP are both free agents, I say let KCP walk and give some of the money to Kuzma.

The Bertans contract loons worse by the minute in context.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/WAS.html

Bryant is interesting because he was putting it together offensively. He was terrible on defense but Harrell isn't great there either. He could be a lot less expensive to keep if he plays well when back than trying to keep Harrell. The latter is going to want to get paid and there might not be much of a market for Bryant. If money was no issue, Harrell over Bryant. Not sure the Wiz can afford that contract though. 

KCP should not be back next season. 

26 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

When Kuzma came over in the Westbrook trade, I was eager to flip him.  Thought this would be a big year for Rui and Kuzma would eat into his minutes.  I was wrong and I’ve done a 180 on him.  He put up some really bad shots mid game.  But he keeps shooting.  Like he said in the post game, he’s very confident and believes every shot will go in.  I’ve come around on him.   I believe his career can take off here.

You still might be right. No one could have seen what Rui is going through and he may come back and be better than Kuzma. Lots have players can look great for short stretches so it's tough to say for players that have been inconsistent. 

EXTENDED FAMILY

Wizards coach Wes Unseld Jr. and Cavaliers coach J.B. Bickerstaff grew up together as the sons of NBA royalty in Washington, D.C. Wes Unseld was a legendary player for the franchise, while J.B.’s father Bernie was a longtime coach with the Bullets/Wizards. “We would play around the Capital Centre locker room together,” Unseld said, chuckling. “Our family has been connected to his for decades.”

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Bryant is interesting because he was putting it together offensively. He was terrible on defense but Harrell isn't great there either. He could be a lot less expensive to keep if he plays well when back than trying to keep Harrell. The latter is going to want to get paid and there might not be much of a market for Bryant. If money was no issue, Harrell over Bryant. Not sure the Wiz can afford that contract though. 

A lot of factors, jus if I'm not mistaken we are trading for contract that he signed as a free agent when he joined the Lakers recently. Is he that much better now? He's coming off the bench.

I really like Bryant and his energy, but coming of an ACL, im not comfortable giving him another contract if he pushes to get paid, too.  If I have to pick one, Harrell is more likely to be worth their contract.

Bryant a lot of times looked straight lost on defense, im not expecting an Dani type leap in improvement after missing so much time and all of training camp.  Door is open to if he does, so maybe we do have to wait and see.  That knee still concerns me, high energy player, likely to reinjure it again.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

A lot of factors, jus if I'm not mistaken we are trading for contract that he signed as a free agent when he joined the Lakers recently. Is he that much better now? He's coming off the bench.

I really like Bryant and his energy, but coming of an ACL, im not comfortable giving him another contract if he pushes to get paid, too.  If I have to pick one, Harrell is more likely to be worth their contract.

Bryant a lot of times looked straight lost on defense, im not expecting an Dani type leap in improvement after missing so much time and all of training camp.  Door is open to if he does, so maybe we do have to wait and see.  That knee still concerns me, high energy player, likely to reinjure it again.

Good question. Depends if Harrell plays better overall defense. Given some of the contracts I see given out, which blow my mind, I suspect he will get more money this time. He hasn't had that really big contract by NBA standards so I'm sure he's hoping for that. 

Agree about Bryant. The only thought I have about him is that he would make for an interesting pairing with Gafford on the floor. Bryant is a legit stretch 5 and Gafford could play PF. Bryant came out on fire last season. Maybe a one year extension if he shows something later this season would make sense. 

What a great win. Just a well played game of basketball all around despite down games from Beal and Dinwiddie.

It's so refreshing to see so much ball movement and off the ball movement. That combined with guys like Harrel crashing the boards is a recipe for a good season. 

• Like 1

When will you people realize John Wall sucks ass hahaha.

Anyway...as a longtime Wizards poop dumper, just gotta say, this is a different team.  They are playing with chemistry and greater than the sum of their parts.  I'm actually enjoying watching them play and inexplicably find myself rooting for them and interested in their fortunes.  

Good luck moving forward.  There might just be something happening here.

PS- the Wall->Westbrook->Kuzma, Harrell, KCP deals were fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Lol, fine.  But he's been terrible for like 5 years.

He's been injured a lot lately  but when playing for Houston he was still averaging 20ppg. 

Thats not terrible, thats jus not max contract numbers.  Hell, his last year playing here he was averaging 20.7ppg and 8.7assists per game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/walljo01.html

You're a hater, whatever your beef is, let it go.  Don't come in here bringing flowers you jus pissed on.

• Like 1

Just now, Renegade7 said:

He's been injured a lot lately  but when playing for Houston he was still averaging 20ppg. 

Thats not terrible, thats jus not max contract numbers.  Hell, his last year playing here he was averaging 20.7ppg and 8.7assists per game.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/walljo01.html

You're a hater, whatever your beef is, let it go.  Don't come in here bringing flowers you jus pissed on.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Bro

Its all context when it comes to the NBA. You think its a *conspiracy* nobody wants him?

Anybody who monopolizes the ball and takes enough shots can average 20 in this league.  The question is whether its effiecient and conducive to winning the game...at the salary cap dollars dedicated to that same player.  John Wall is negative EV and has been for 5 years and yes injuries count.  He's Derrick Rose without the 2nd chapter.

Sorry if you have some kind of problem accepting this.  I'm just telling the truth.  Whatever your attachment is, you should let go of those first couple years.  Its as gone as RG3.

But I genuinely do wish the Wizards well this year.  Its a much much better team.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Kyle Kuzma said hecklers motivated him, that the ending was "their fault." He said it was Cavs fans had a sign that said "Without LeBron, Kuzma wouldn't have a ring." He told them: "Cleveland wouldn't be **** without LeBron."

Beal’s body language was so bad tonight.  You knew something was up with him.  That’s sad.  Nice to see his teammates pick him up.

9 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Hahahahahahahahaha

Bro

Its all context when it comes to the NBA. You think its a *conspiracy* nobody wants him?

I dont, no one wants that contract and thats fair.

Anybody who monopolizes the ball and takes enough shots can average 20 in this league.  The question is whether its effiecient and conducive to winning the game...at the salary cap dollars dedicated to that same player.  John Wall is negative EV and has been for 5 years and yes injuries count.  He's Derrick Rose without the 2nd chapter.

We were winning when he was healthy, and as our PG and typically 2nd best scorer, thats not shocking for him to have the ball a lot.  He was the #1 pick, the team was built around him and his skillset, Beal just finally got to the playoffs without him last year.

Whats happening to him in Houston doesn't make sense, how can he have a Rose type comeback if Houston doesn't want him to play?

Sorry if you have some kind of problem accepting this.  I'm just telling the truth.  Whatever your attachment is, you should let go of those first couple years.  Its as gone as RG3.

But I genuinely do wish the Wizards well this year.  Its a much much better team.

Nah, im past the acceptance stage of grief on the Wall era.  That doesn't mean I have to say nothing when you start with trashing a fan favorite and claim to come in peace. I'm hoping for the best for him, however it plays out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've made fun of how Ted has run this team for years. But damn if they aren't at least easier to watch right now. Guys mostly on the same page. When it looked like an L last night, they were still grinding and nothing was out of hand. 

I was thinking that maybe a big part was that when you add 3 guys from outside the org and the mess of previous years, they weren't tainted by that stuff. 

Condolences to the Beal fam.

7 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Hahahahahahahahaha

Bro

Like you said, it's all about context.  John Wall as a max contract is a terrible roster spot.  John Wall as a vet minimum would be an incredible addition.  No one wants his contract.  That's not the same as him being a terrible player.

@Renegade7 said pretty much the same thing and said nothing about some stupid conspiracy by the teams to stop him from playing.  Stop creating strawmen to shadowbox with.

• Like 1