Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

37 minutes ago, DemSkinz said:

I really wished that Buck was on the call for the dagger, but great ending despite Beal being dumb at the very end.

I shouted dagger at home and then felt disappointed when the broadcast team didn’t.  They need some catch phrases.  

• Like 1

Setting aside Beal stuff for now, does Deni becoming a better player put KCP on the block if Rui comes back and plays solid ball? I know a big if, but Deni is earning minutes and needs to continue to be developed even when he has bad games. 

KCP has a team option for next season which means he could help a team clear salary. I would be shocked to see him back next season. You could use that salary to bring back a good piece or package it with a another salary. 

Edited by Hersh

Shep dug in his heels and completely built this roster around Beal the way Ernie did Wall. 

Everything Shep has been up to has built up to this roster we have now with a clear identity and clear roles for our top to bottom players. 

Taking Beal out the picture ruins all that with no clear answer for what comes next.  Its NOW a bad idea to trade him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Shep dug in his heels and completely built this roster around Beal the way Ernie did Wall. 

Everything Shep has been up to has built up to this roster we have now with a clear identity and clear roles for our top to bottom players. 

Taking Beal out the picture ruins all that with no clear answer for what comes next.  Its NOW a bad idea to trade him.

I don't disagree with your assessment. Shep has been more concerned with keeping Beal than anything else but to me, Beal creates a ceiling. Also, unless it's maybe one of the 5 best players in the league, it's a bad idea to build around one person. 

20 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don't disagree with your assessment. Shep has been more concerned with keeping Beal than anything else but to me, Beal creates a ceiling. Also, unless it's maybe one of the 5 best players in the league, it's a bad idea to build around one person. 

Yea, im not defending sheps plan, jus calling it what it is now.  Folks like @Warhead36 have warned repeatedly about building around guards in today's NBA, but Shep doesn't seem to care.  We are trapped with Beal and i don't know what that ceiling is yet. I dont believe its a formula for a ring, but we still have players that haven't played yet this year.  We are overachiever, thats for sure. 

47 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

7-3?

We gonna do a tailgate meetup this year or what?

Someone needs to bump that thread...

Edited by Renegade7

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I think Beal is Ted digging in. He didn't want to move on from Wall but Westbrook made it easier for him. He didn't want to move on from Westbrook either but Russ wanted out. Ted was upset when that happened. Remember? He made some Ovechkin comparison like it was the same sport and a guy who had been here for a while. Then went on his list of teams that Russ wanted out from.

9 hours ago, Destino said:

Deni is going to start feeling some pressure with all the praise rolling in.  People are going to get carried away and start killing him on Twitter if he fails to put the clamps on KD if this keeps up.  

Expectations aren't a bad thing.

• Like 1

I took a look at existing minutes to see who will be affected when Rui comes back.

Kuzma has been terrific.  I’d have Rui come off the bench for the time being.  Get him around 23 minutes a night through New Year’s, then evaluate.  

Bertans is listed as week to week, but I don’t see him helping the team the way it is currently constructed.

Right now, if you take the top 10 active players (no Bertans, Rui, or Bryant) their minutes add up to an extra 6 per game because of overtime and some guys missing games.  Here’s how I see it when Rui gets back (proposed, current)

Dinwiddie (28, 29)

Neto (20, 22)

Beal (36, 36)

KCP (25, 30)

Avdija (23, 22)

Kuzma (25, 33) - he’s been averaging 25/game over the last three.

Hachimura (23, 0)

Harrell and Gafford split 48 mins at the 5.  Currently it’s Harrell 30/Gafford 18.

Holiday/Kispert split the remaining 12.  Currently Holiday 16 and Kispert 10.

One look that I haven’t seen yet is a big lineup with KCP, Beal, Deni, a 4, and a 5 and have Deni facilitate.