Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

Amazing what happens when you don't gun a bunch of threes and Beal doesn't take a million shots because he just has to win a scoring title. 

Guys were hitting shots tonight so there was no need for Beal to force the issue.  Dinwiddie was awake in the first half too which is nice.  

I’ve watched a few replays of the Harrell technical.  I don’t know what is there.  He’s making a basketball play.  I’m assuming it was for an elbow and not something he said based on the timing of the whistle and the referee’s motion.  But, if it was the elbow, why didn’t they review it for a flagrant?  Weird.

So far I've been wrong about Unseld. Thought he was hired because nobody else wanted to work for Ted, and they figured the Unseld name had enough good will still. 

The coach appears to be steady in the way he leads his team. He stresses Defense and it seems a lot of guy are buying in by showing effort there. 

The guy is "Staying Medium" when they win or lose so far in a very young season. 

I probably don't have this right, but to me a max player should be that guy that you think can take you all the way. Beal has kind of proven that he's good, but he's not even good enough to lift his team to the playoffs. He's an important piece to the puzzle. Not a key to the puzzle. 

If the Wizards lose Beal they lose the first round of the playoffs when the rest of the team is working. Is that worth 100m?

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I probably don't have this right, but to me a max player should be that guy that you think can take you all the way. Beal has kind of proven that he's good, but he's not even good enough to lift his team to the playoffs. He's an important piece to the puzzle. Not a key to the puzzle. 

If the Wizards lose Beal they lose the first round of the playoffs when the rest of the team is working. Is that worth 100m?

Beal’s contract would be for well over $200 million 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Michael Porter Jr signed a max contract this season and he’s arguably the Nuggets fourth best player.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

I mean, if you want to compare Doncic to Beal, have at it. You are probably on an island on that. 

I’m not putting Beal on his tier I’m merely bringing up the fact that Doncic has been off this start of the season.  Would be unreasonable to say they shouldn’t sign him to a super max.  Beal has been off.  Slow start.  But he’s getting a max contract somewhere.  

2 hours ago, -JB- said:

I’m not putting Beal on his tier I’m merely bringing up the fact that Doncic has been off this start of the season.  Would be unreasonable to say they shouldn’t sign him to a super max.  Beal has been off.  Slow start.  But he’s getting a max contract somewhere.  

Problem for a lot of teams in the NBA is giving max contracts to players that don't deserve max contracts. 

• Like 1

NBA max contract is weird.  You probably need 2-3 to contend.  The question is not whether Beal is a top 5-10 player.  The question is whether there's a path to getting another superstar with Beal getting a supermax.  If the answer is no, then blow it up.  If you think Unseld and the improved team could entice another superstar, maybe you roll the dice 

• Like 1

Avdija has the second-best defensive field goal percentage on the team at 36.2%, second only to Bradley Beal. According to Second Spectrum, opponents shoot 5.4% lower against him compared to their season averages. 

Head coach Wes Unseld Jr., who was brought in to lead the Wizards in part because of his defensive reputation, has also noticed Avdija is being targeted. But given how well Avdija tends to rise to the challenge, he has the utmost confidence in his ability to make teams regret doing so.

"I think he's done a terrific job. Keep doing it. It's one thing if it's hurting us and it's a deficit or an issue we have to try to fix. But it bodes well for us, he does a great job keeping those guys in front and making them take tough, contested twos. So, I have no problem. If they want to, it's almost doing us a favor," Unseld Jr. said.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/teams-keep-testing-deni-avdija-defense-wizards-love-it

I noticed that teams have been forcing a switch onto Deni season, and it hasn’t gone their way most times.  As a fan I want him guarding the ball when we need a stop, and I’m not sure when that happened. I didn’t feel that way last season.  Glad to see the young man getting credit.

still find it funny that the guy we drafted because of his offensive versatility, is shining as a defender while missing layups.  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

Problem for a lot of teams in the NBA is giving max contracts to players that don't deserve max contracts. 

What I’m saying is guys like Otto Porter can command 100+ mill contracts.  Guys who are really good get the max deals nowadays.  Beal can score 30 a night he’s going to get paid regardless.