Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We only had three good three ball shooters: otto, beal, meeks.

Five in the regular season.  Scott shot .405 from three and in his last healthy season he shot .392 with Atlanta so it wasn't an statistical anomaly. That's pretty good for power forwards.  It's also better than Meeks managed.  Morris wasn't bad either at .367 (also better than Meeks) but his shot vanished in the playoffs.  The offense had enough shooters to have gotten many more threes up.

If you are still wasting your time supporting this organization after that article, then I feel bad for you.

As long as Ernie is around, I’m out.

10 hours ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

I wish we had Joe Ingles instead of Porter. We’d still be playing.

Man, Donovan Mitchell >Bradley Beal, right now

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

At a minimum, Ernie is here until Wall departs and this team has to be blown up.

It remains to be seen if Ted gives him another rebuilding chance. But at this point, why not? We might as well rename ourselves the Washington Ernie's.

That graph showing that every GM with same or longer tenure had at least one championship and he hasn't gotten past the second round here is indescribable.

I love basketball, I love DC, I'm sticking with the Wizards for their basketball and what winning will do for the area. Everything above the players and coaches is dead to me right now, they can pretend all they want, they don't have our best interests at heart (and if they do, they're too stupid to act on them anyway).

The Redskins taught me that what I want is very different from what will happen.  If I knew what was going to happen, I wouldn't watch.  I can separate the players from the front office, but man oh man, why in the hell is every Ernie extension top secret until weeks or months after its done?  It makes me impossible to trust Ted, its like he knows this is wrong but doing it anyway in a way like he's trying to hide this.  We aren't stupid, stop talking to us like we're stupid.

The fact that the Wizards feel they need to keep Grunfeld's contract extensions quiet is telling.  I'd love to know what makes Ted believe in Grunfeld so strongly that he's willing anger the fan base to keep this man around after so long.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

The fact that the Wizards feel they need to keep Grunfeld's contract extensions quiet is telling.  I'd love to know what makes Ted believe in Grunfeld so strongly that he's willing anger the fan base to keep this man around after so long.  

I am beginning to think that Ernie is not making decisions anymore.

Ted is.

But he wants Ernie around to absorb the blame.

There is simply no explanation left because no one can look at Ernie's record and say that his tenure with the Wizards is justified at this point.

Purely from a money standpoint, this team blew like $100 million dollars on a bunch of D-league players. How can an owner justify his money being wasted like that? Only if he was the one who made the choice to do it.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I am beginning to think that Ernie is not making decisions anymore.

Ted is.

But he wants Ernie around to absorb the blame.

There is simply no explanation left because no one can look at Ernie's record and say that his tenure with the Wizards is justified at this point.

Purely from a money standpoint, this team blew like $100 million dollars on a bunch of D-league players. How can an owner justify his money being wasted like that? Only if he was the one who made the choice to do it.

So I have to ask, how similar is our situation to the Capitals? 

I asked that in the Caps thread, didn't really get a response (I guess because they were expecting me to already know the answer), but as some point they did fire their GM.  Your theory of Ted really making these calls make sense, I just wish I understood why he fired the Caps GM and if we're at a similar point with Ernie (we might not be, so that's why he's still here).

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So I have to ask, how similar is our situation to the Capitals? 

I asked that in the Caps thread, didn't really get a response (I guess because they were expecting me to already know the answer), but as some point they did fire their GM.  Your theory of Ted really making these calls make sense, I just wish I understood why he fired the Caps GM and if we're at a similar point with Ernie (we might not be, so that's why he's still here).

Ted has always been more invested in the Wizards than Capitals. 

If I recall correctly, he took on the Capitals only because it would pave the way for him owning the Wizards once Abe Pollin passed away. 

I have a feeling that he’s living out his fantasy of playing NBA GM, obviously sucks really bad at it but is a raging narcissist who can’t admit that he’s bad at this. I have had the displeasure of communicating with him when he was more open to fan input. He is an enormous asshole. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

The Caps are/were a lot closer to a Cup. Realistically they should have won at least one by now or at least gotten to a SCF. McPhee was a MUCH better GM than Grunfeld ever was(as evidenced by his new team Las Vegas being a Cup contender in year one).

2 hours ago, Destino said:

It's his business model. "good enough" is what they want. Good enough for the playoffs. That's it. Why spend and spend and spend to compete with Apple or Google or Microsoft when you are still following the AOL blueprint? This is the same as sending out cds with 15 free hours of America Online. 

2 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

It's his business model. "good enough" is what they want. Good enough for the playoffs. That's it. Why spend and spend and spend to compete with Apple or Google or Microsoft when you are still following the AOL blueprint? This is the same as sending out cds with 15 free hours of America Online. 

It would be easier to believe that if the Wizards were actually making money.  Every year we hear the opposite, that they are in fact losing money.  This year will probably end up worse because they paid NBA tax for being over the cap and had the 5th highest payroll.  All that money and the team is mediocre and as like to get worse as better this offseason. 

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

It would be easier to believe that if the Wizards were actually making money.  Every year we hear the opposite, that they are in fact losing money.  This year will probably end up worse because they paid NBA tax for being over the cap and had the 5th highest payroll.  All that money and the team is mediocre and as like to get worse as better this offseason. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a huge reason we aren't turning a profit because of the stadium deal Ted took over from Abe?  How much long until that's resolved and gets off our books?  Not negating your point at all, there is very little about this franchise you could consider successful right now from a business standpoint.

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Ted has always been more invested in the Wizards than Capitals. 

If I recall correctly, he took on the Capitals only because it would pave the way for him owning the Wizards once Abe Pollin passed away. 

I have a feeling that he’s living out his fantasy of playing NBA GM, obviously sucks really bad at it but is a raging narcissist who can’t admit that he’s bad at this. I have had the displeasure of communicating with him when he was more open to fan input. He is an enormous asshole. 

He's a self made rich guy and I happen to know a lot of these people.  They project a lot of confidence but are also very defensive.  Ted actually fought a caps fan once didn't he?  He might not be a bad guy at all, but you'd need him to see you as a friend to see that side of him.  I like your theory of Ernie as a figure head, though I doubt Ted would pay him if that was all he was.  I think you might be onto something when you say Ted is making a lot of these decision. 

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a huge reason we aren't turning a profit because of the stadium deal Ted took over from Abe?  How much long until that's resolved and gets off our books?  Not negating your point at all, there is very little about this franchise you could consider successful right now from a business standpoint.

I'm sure you're right because I remember reading the same thing.  I'm not sure when that stops, but I doubt Ted is pleased to be losing money until things change.  They've been selling 2nd round picks, which to me suggests that cash is certainly a consideration. 

14 minutes ago, Destino said:

I'm sure you're right because I remember reading the same thing.  I'm not sure when that stops, but I doubt Ted is pleased to be losing money until things change.  They've been selling 2nd round picks, which to me suggests that cash is certainly a consideration. 

That would be a ****ty reason to do this to your fan base but at least it would make cents.