Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

23 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Crappy part is that of the 3 max players... you might break even trading Wall. 

And that is a huge... might. 

I'm not even sure why you're bringing this up.  If anyone is going, it's Otto, and I don't think breaking even would even be the point if we did that, it'd just be trying to get that cap space back so we can go after someone else to take his place as the third star.  I'd trade him for a box of condoms so he can make balloon animals with them on the way out if I could.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not even sure why you're bringing this up.  If anyone is going, it's Otto, and I don't think breaking even would even be the point if we did that, it'd just be trying to get that cap space back so we can go after someone else to take his place as the third star.  I'd trade him for a box of condoms so he can make balloon animals with them on the way out if I could.

Umm, because that is the only player that most folks would even try to attain. The rest of the team is fodder. 

Otto has one good game out of every 15-20. Beal maybe one of five, Wall 3-4 of five ( when healthy). 

4 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Umm, because that is the only player that most folks would even try to attain. The rest of the team is fodder. 

Otto has one good game out of every 15-20. Beal maybe one of five, Wall 3-4 of five ( when healthy). 

That doesn't matter if they aren't on the market, which I guess I'm trying to get your point of bringing it up because sounds like your suggesting we should break this up.

1) I disagree with you if that's what you think we should do

2) Porter would do better on a team with a offense to take better advantage of him.

I don't have the patience for figuring that out anymore, but the Nets might (since they're the ones that forced our hand by offering him Max while he was a restricted FA.  Like I said, I'd be fine losing that trade to get that contract of the books because it would be a win for us.

Edited by Renegade7

Pretty sure most of the Wiz fanbase agrees with me about what I said about him ( Otto) at the time of his contract. 

Let him go. At the time it was probably 50/50. 

Unless you find a new coach, a new GM, and a freaking center. This team and it's best players will leave. 

I bring it up because even though you have 2 really good players... the only way to build now is to tank or get rid of players. 

I don't see anyone taking that contract, Beal...maybe, Wall...your best bet. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Pretty sure most of the Wiz fanbase agrees with me about what I said about him ( Otto) at the time of his contract. 

Let him go. At the time it was probably 50/50. 

Unless you find a new coach, a new GM, and a freaking center. This team and it's best players will leave. 

I bring it up because even though you have 2 really good players... the only way to build now is to tank or get rid of players. 

I don't see anyone taking that contract, Beal...maybe, Wall...your best bet. 

I'd be one of them that didn't like it, hell, I didn't want to give Beal max, either, but at least he showed me more then Porter up to the point that we did.

I'm honest with myself, of the three, the center is most likely to happen.  I have no idea what to make of the decision to stick with Brooks if we do, I don't want to, but Ted is the opposite of Snyder in the sense of being trigger happy.  For all I know, Porter will snap out of it next season, then our problem is figuring out how to combine the best of Wall with a motion style offense.  I don't think Brooks can pull it off, but he showed he can get the ball to move around a helluva lot more without Wall, we just have to figure out how to do that when he's on the court.

I don't understand why you think we need to tank to get players.  Even if we don't get another all-star, that's not more of a need then just having a competent front court and plan for how to best involve Otto in the offense.  I'm hard on him because he's not taking life by the horns, but if he's not going anywhere we're paying Brooks millions of dollars to figure out how to make that work anyway.  

I hate the idea of trusting Ernie with a tank, this is closest we've ever come to a young core all growing up at the same time, that's hard, especially for someone that's stupid.  I'm hoping Brooks gets fired, but he won't.  We've wanted Ernie gone, but that won't happen.  Now what?

Edited by Renegade7

I still don't think Beal is a Max player. 

You realize you just said the team played better without Wall ?  Please don't edit that part. 

Porter will be a bench player in the near future or simply cut/traded. 

I would hate to see the team tank... but they are in the situation of being the Atlanta Hawks of the Wilkins years. 

Good, but never going to get it done. Time for a reboot, and if trading your star player and taking the hit of cutting another makes it happen...so be it. 

Folks get it twisted, I don't root against the Wizards, I just don't root for them. I'll say the same about the Hornets.

26 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I still don't think Beal is a Max player. 

You realize you just said the team played better without Wall ?  Please don't edit that part. 

Porter will be a bench player in the near future or simply cut/traded. 

I would hate to see the team tank... but they are in the situation of being the Atlanta Hawks of the Wilkins years. 

Good, but never going to get it done. Time for a reboot, and if trading your star player and taking the hit of cutting another makes it happen...so be it. 

Folks get it twisted, I don't root against the Wizards, I just don't root for them. I'll say the same about the Hornets.

I didn't, that's your interpretation, I'm not going to edit it, because that's not the same thing.  

They started losing games with the #EverybodyEats because they didn't have another scoring threat to go with Beal.  What's your definition of a Max Player then?  He was our leading scorer (right between Klay Thompson and Oladipo for ppg), an all-star, and the only reason we made it to the playoffs this year (where he typically averages 21-24 ppg).  A lot of people getting Max that shouldn't have Max, but that's a whole nother problem for league in general, not just us.

And can't believe you're making me defend Porter, but no, his problem is he doesn't want to be the guy even though he's being paid like it.  That needs to be somebody else's problem, but right now, its ours and we need to figure out how to make the most of it.  Right now our backcourt has two all-stars that are making up close to half of our scoring output each game in the playoffs and by themselves are either wiping out teams in the east or taking 1 seeds to 6-7 game series.  I do not understand why you don't think we can build around that, let alone trust Ernie to find something better.

There is a difference between what one wants a team to do and what's actually going to happen.  It's typically somewhere in the middle.  I don't know how many Wizards games you watch, but please don't come in here like watch them more then I do.  I appreciate your outside looking in perspective and respect you a lot in general, especially outside of basketball, but telling us our situation is hopeless is not helping and not true.

Edited by Renegade7

I wish I can leave... I just love watching too much to stop. Ernie ain't going anywhere. That article Brave posted all but confirms he and Brooks are locks to comeback. That's what pisses me off though. He and Brooks are PROVEN bums.

But it wouldn't make sense to fire them this year. If we want them gone, the team has to have a major collapse and it has to happen this year.

Might be the first time I go into a season hoping we suck. 

3 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

Might be the first time I go into a season hoping we suck. 

Us missing the playoffs might help get rid of Ernie, but that's another year of Wall's prime wasted if we do.  I'd rather that happens because it happens then root for it happen, there's no telling the ramifications from something like that happening, we're just hoping that its good.

• Confused 1

These words from Wall in that post article aren't encouraging. 

“Some people don’t understand their roles, so if you don’t understand your role and you think you deserve a bigger role, that’s not about to happen,” Wall said, responding to a question about the Wizards not being on the same page.

“If you not built for it, why would you want to be put in that situation? But a lot of people say they want that pressure or that situation and then they get put in it and they act totally different. Don’t ask for something you can’t handle. But at the same time, if we have a team meeting and we’re brothers if you’re a grown man like you supposed to be, if I have a problem with somebody, I can confront you and talk to you without having to have a problem. You’re supposed to talk to your brother, you’re supposed to have arguments, you’re going to have fights, you’re going to do all that, but at times if you can’t talk to somebody because they always think it’s negative or taking it the wrong way, we’re going to have issues and problems in the locker room and that’s where inconsistencies happen.”

If that's what passes for leadership in the locker room, this team has a major leadership problems. 

I wonder who he's talking about specifically? Someone wanting a bigger role that can't handle it...Gortat maybe? Or Oubre?

You're right though, Wall really isn't a true leader right now. There is a big time lack of accountability in the locker room.

On 4/28/2018 at 10:03 PM, Destino said:

If that's what passes for leadership in the locker room, this team has a major leadership problems. 

To be honest that wasn't what I took from that.

To sum it up: Some people in that team meeting didn't say what was actually on their minds.

And I don't think it was because John/Bradley didn't let them speak either.

We all know John is direct and I get the vibe that some of these cats (Gortat etc) are just non confrontational.

And that's fine.

But what isn't fine is not saying whats directly on your mind when you have the opportunity and then proceed to talk **** (if you believe Stephen A Smith) behind someone's back.

I'm not sure I'd characterize that as lack of leadership in the locker room.

I just think we have some (insert whatever word you like) in the locker room.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 2

He ain't wrong though. You should be able to have honest conversation about what's wrong. If you can't you wont fix it. 

I still think facilitating this kind of stuff is the coaches job. Especially in this case where John is clearly not a people person. 

Edited by Llevron

17 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Gumps. I'm going to go with Gumps... 

And he's definitely talking about Otto. He didn't mention him in the press conference and that's the one player that's been struggling pretty much the entire season. Even without the injuries, he's been inconsistent as hell. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

To be honest that wasn't what I took from that.

To sum it up: Some people in that team meeting (imo) didn't say what was actually on their minds.

And I don't think it was because John/Bradley didn't let them speak either.

We all know John is direct and I get the vibe that some of these cats (Gortat etc) are just non confrontational.

And that's fine.

But what isn't fine is not saying whats directly on your mind when you have the opportunity and then proceed to talk **** (if you believe Stephen A Smith) behind someone's back.

I'm not sure I'd characterize that as lack of leadership in the locker room.

That's all well and good but leadership is about finding ways to motivate.  Insisting that your method of leadership is great when it's clearly failed is bad.  Talking **** to the media is worse.  He's blaming everyone else for failing to behave as "grown men" which is always a bad angle to take.  This after he talked **** on espn during the season.  At this point I'm left hoping he just stops talking about it because none of this is helping.