Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wall wants to win, at least that what he says. At times, it appears he's all about getting his numbers. He takes entirely too many shots for my liking. 

Oh, and Ted and Ernie SUCK! That secret extension was cowardly and totally undeserved! 

1 minute ago, ksun247 said:

Wall wants to win, at least that what he says. At times, it appears he's all about getting his numbers. He takes entirely too many shots for my liking. 

Oh, and Ted and Ernie SUCK! That secret extension was cowardly and totally undeserved! 

I think he lacks basketball IQ, at least at times, or has too much heroball in him.

He needs a real Xs and Os coach to get the best out of him. Look at how much better Curry got under Kerr, or Irving got under Stevens before he got hurt.

If we ever decide to punt and rebuild, I'd be happy trading Wall to a coach like Pop to see what he can really do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Who do yall want at 15?

Of course the Wiz get a #15 pick in a draft that is weak in bigs, when that's just what they need. 

I'd love to get Bamba, but they'd have to move up, and I don't trust Ernie to do that without screwing the franchise's future, even more. They can hope Williams drops, or take a flier on Mitchell, but they've GOT to get a big. Heck, I'd even consider Fernando if he stays in the draft. Already has an NBA body.

55 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

It would work CBA-wise and yeah, it's going to happen.

What time frame?  Cousins is hitting free agency and New Orleans won't have the rights to trade him unless they sign him or do a sign and trade.  Where you thinking sign and trade?  I honestly can't remember how those work any more.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

sigh... We're going to trade Otto for Cousins, aren't we?  I'm not even sure how it could work, CBA-wise, but that is the writing on the wall.

I thought the new rules basically killed the sign and trade.  

The only way that happens is if Cousins really wants to play in D.C.  Bird rights don't transfer with sign and trades anymore so he'd be paid the same if he just signs as a free agent somewhere and the process would be simpler as negotiations wouldn't include a second team.  

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What time frame?  Cousins is hitting free agency and New Orleans won't have the rights to trade him unless they sign him or do a sign and trade.  Where you thinking sign and trade?  I honestly can't remember how those work any more.

Yeah. It would be a sign and trade.

I posted an article a few weeks ago in which Zach Lowe discussed Cousins to Washington 

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd trade Porter for Cousins. Why the hell not? At worst it blows up in our face and we suck but so what? We aren't winning a title with this core anyway.

At worst Porter isn't as good as his contract, but is still a fairly good player overall.  Cousins is much higher risk than Porter.  If the Wizards offer him a max deal and Cousins' injury is career damaging (and it's the kind that is) the Wizards slam the door shut on any chance of the Wizards building a contender in the Wall era.  

This is doesn't mean the Wizards won't do it.  I think the player Walls been ****ting on all season, but hasn't named, in his media takes is Otto.  If I'm right, they have to trade him.  (And Gortat)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destino said:

I thought the new rules basically killed the sign and trade.  

The only way that happens is if Cousins really wants to play in D.C.  Bird rights don't transfer with sign and trades anymore so he'd be paid the same if he just signs as a free agent somewhere and the process would be simpler as negotiations wouldn't include a second team.  

I don't understand S&Ts any more and haven't put in the effort to learn it.  The NBA's CBA is so God Damn Byzantine.  BTW guys, ready yourselves for some offseason posts where I call for specific reforms to the NBA.  I'm working on a broad idea for how to rationalize the cap and player acquisition systems.

BUT, my guess is that we'd be able to acquire Cousins in a big deal through an S&T by giving away a ton of salary in return, i.e., trading Otto.

The kind of S&Ts that Miami did to get LeBron and Bosh are definitely dead.  In those, they got a max player without sending out any salary and, for Cleveland and Toronto's trouble they got a pupu platter of late draft picks.

Better than getting nothing in return, but still a pittance in return value.

I don't know how the NBA killed those kinds of deals, I just know that they did.  An S&T of Cousins for Porter is a much different animal--New Orleans would presumably be facilitating our signing one of their former players when we don't have the cap space to do so otherwise in exchange for a substantial return for their trouble.

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Can I point out that no team with Boogie Cousins had ever won more than 33 games until last year when Boogie Cousins got hurt?

I am not a big fan of blaming a player for a team's failures, but that's sort of insane.

He'd be our 3rd best player.

I'd take Boogie Cousins for Porter in a heartbeat. I like Porter, but he isn't an aggressive player. He's frail, kinda soft and injury prone and they constantly freeze him out of the offense. While he does the little things to help the team like rebounding and defense, we need more scoring from him. He's one of the best shooters on the team, if not the best. Coach Brooks and the rest of the team, especially Wall need to get him the ball more. Playing that ISO/Hero Ball doesn't work. And get rid of Gortat while we're at it.  But give me Boogie Cousins any day, all day over Porter. Hopefully, Cousins heals from that injury and is back to 100%. 

8 hours ago, ksun247 said:

I'd take Boogie Cousins for Porter in a heartbeat. I like Porter, but he isn't an aggressive player. He's frail, kinda soft and injury prone and they constantly freeze him out of the offense. While he does the little things to help the team like rebounding and defense, we need more scoring from him. He's one of the best shooters on the team, if not the best. Coach Brooks and the rest of the team, especially Wall need to get him the ball more. Playing that ISO/Hero Ball doesn't work. And get rid of Gortat while we're at it.  But give me Boogie Cousins any day, all day over Porter. Hopefully, Cousins heals from that injury and is back to 100%. 

You just made a strong case for Porter's value, and then noted that playing hero ball doesn't work.  And yet you still want Cousins over Porter?  What gives?

1 hour ago, pjfootballer said:

Achilles injuries are not career enders anymore.  Modern medicine is light years ahead of what it was, plus Cousins is young. If he was 30 or older, I’d pass.  

I don't know man, Cousins is 7 feet tall and 300 pounds and I'm not sure he's the kind of worker who I'd trust to beat the odds on such a severe injury.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Can I point out that no team with Boogie Cousins had ever won more than 33 games until last year when Boogie Cousins got hurt?

I am not a big fan of blaming a player for a team's failures, but that's sort of insane.

Well, until this season he also played in Sacramento.  He might be a loser whose habits are set.  But he might also thrive with a true scene and culture change, like ZBo did.  Not sure the Wizards offer that kind of culture though.  We're underachievers too.

There are so many ways that jettisoning Porter for Cousins could go wrong, I'd give that move about a 25% chance of working out.  Well, mainly it's that he could continue being the childish turd he was in Sacramento, or he could never get healthy again.  Or he could facilitate our worst habits of turning it over constantly and playing up or down to our competition.  And Brooks is the wrong kind of coach to deal with Cousins IMO--he isn't any kind of sheriff and he will let Cousins walk all over him.

Here's another litmus test we should run before considering a Porter trade: if given the choice between the two, would the Warriors or Spurs rather have X player or Otto Porter?  Cousins probably fails this test.

I think we need a culture and scheme change more than we need dramatic personnel changes.  If you could replace our front office, coaching staff, and offensive and defensive schemes with San Antonio's, they could make what we have work.  Those are the changes we need to be demanding.