Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

17 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

As usual, Steve is right.  I'm not high on Jordan for these exact reasons.  He'd be a blast out of the gate, but 2-3 years from now he'd be an absolute albatross on the roster/cap.  Plus...50% FT shooting?!?  Please no.

It's an issue of supply though.  Despite his many flaws, DJ is still really valuable because of the scarcity of top notch defense and rebounding centers.

I've been watching around the league this year trying to find rim protectors/rebounders who could both be an upgrade over Gortat and Mahinmi AND might be available and this is my list:

1 - DeAndre Jordan

2 - Clint Capela

3 - Nerlens Noel

4 - Ivica Zubac

5 - Salah Mejri

6 - Alex Len

7 - Ekpe Udoh

8 - Bebe Nogueira

It's a pathetic list that gets real shaky after the first two names.  And I have my doubts that Houston will actually let Capela test the market.  Most of those guys will never be starters for a good team, much less championship caliber cogs.  Not even sure they'd pan out to be upgrades over what we already have TBH.

Teams just aren't letting glass-eating rim protectors go unless they have major question marks.  That's why I've been so willing to take a big risk on a guy with some upside like Noel or Zubac.

So, shaky and flawed as he is, Jordan might still be our best option after Boogie Cousins.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I watch Houston all the time.  They're my WC team.  No chance they let Capela go...he fits what they like to do perfectly right now and he's barely even tapped his upside.

Yeah he's too good to let go.  The only way I think it could happen is if they're trying to afford some big fish like LeBron and someone Otto Porters Capela.

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I watch Houston all the time.  They're my WC team.  No chance they let Capela go...he fits what they like to do perfectly right now and he's barely even tapped his upside.

Somewhere buried in this thread I mentioned trading for him while Dwight was still there.  You could plainly see he'd be one of those "good enough" centers when he was a back up playing few minutes.  That all the wizards need.  We don't need a huge contract just a guy that's good enough not to hurt the team on both ends.  That's what Capela is.  He's probably going to get overpaid though.  Sharing the floor with a Harden and CP3 has to be a centers dream.  

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I can't stand the guy.  I want him off the squad.

When he plays like this, me neither.  He thinks he can give effort once every ten possessions/stands and that's good enough.  Dude will hold his man to avoid having to move his feet on defense.  He just doesn't care.

And to add, Mike Scott and Jason Smith will play hard.  Oubre always plays hard.  Sato plays hard.  These guys deserve to get minutes and Keef deserves to ride the pine.

• Like 1