Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

7 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Like I said last week, I don't know why a lot of fans think playoffs is a foregone conclusion with this team. They may not make the postseason.

Also, I think if the Wizards dont make it past the first round, Ernie gets fired. (if they may the playoffs)

Leonsis is cheap and don't want to spend money on a Wizards team that doesnt sell out. They are in Lux Tax range, and I know that pisses him off.

he was a bad hire. I think a lot of people are realizing this.

Bruh, don't make me start rooting against us. ?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Bruh, don't make me start rooting against us. ?

Im just speculating.

But I know Leonsis wont spend on the Wizards if they aren't selling out. It may actually force him to do something.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

We'll make the playoffs but at this rate we'll end up with a crummy seed and have to play Boston or Cleveland in Round 2 where we'll lose.

I really do not share your optimism.

I see a team with little depth. I see a team that has only one reliable shooter who inexplicably isnt hitting 3 pointers this year. I see a team with bad centers. Last year our starting 5 was one of the best in the NBA. It isnt there this year. And I see a team with a coach who is getting exposed nearly every game.

This team may make the playoffs, but its not a foregone conclusion at all.

I think fear is over rated in a league with guaranteed deals.  The Warriors aren't fearing for their jobs, they're out there trying to be great.  The Wizards just aren't playing well together, which is a huge red flag for a team returning all 5 starters, and they're very obviously poorly coached.  The inconsistency problem I suspect that's just the reality with this teams culture.  The Wizards just aren't an organization that expects peak fitness and high energy from it's players.  Right now the team has chemistry, coaching, and injury issues.  Things are bad. 

But... we've been here before.  We've seen this team go from inexplicably bad to good again during the season.  I haven't thrown in the towel yet because of that.  Just got to stay tuned and see if this one turns positive or if the team implodes.  Sad to say, but either possibility feels equally likely right now. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They're playing .500 ball, the bottom isn't falling out and they're going to make the playoffs.  Otto is hurt.  John is still recovering.  Beal's legs are gone.  But those things are temporary.  The only serious weakness is center.  Upgrade the 5 and we'll be fine.

The Wizards lost Wall for just two weeks and Otto has a bruise that only cost him a few games.  Otherwise the starters are the same and the bench is better than it has been in years.  There is no reason for them to be hovering at .500, especially when you consider their relatively easy schedule thus far.

.500 ball is bad for any talented team, but it's worse for a team with a veteran roster returning all 5 starters.  These guys should have excellent chemistry because they've already been through the grind.  If you watch them play though, you'd be forgiven for thinking this is their first year together.  That's alarming.  

I agree that it's likely they'll make the playoffs if they avoid major injuries.  The roster is just too experienced and talented not to.  I'm not confident they'll finish in the top 4 though.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The starters and bench play an entirely different brand of basketball 

Like they aren't even on the same team.  Very strange.

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Totally different team tonight.  I suppose the boys had a couple heart-to-heart talks today.

Standard wizards.  Fail to show up one night, try hard next time.  Always inconsistent.  

It just doesn't add up. The bench cuts, they hustle, they rebound. They move the ball quickly and everyone gets involved. On top of that... Everyone picks. 

But the starters just wait for their turn, or wait for wall to give them magic. The only picks being set are by Marcin, who is not a threat to do anything but roll to the basket. Beal goes off on some Kobe ISO stuff. It's not the same team. 

• Like 1