Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/11/26/2587953/nba-lockout-rashard-lewis-the-amnesty-clause-and-the-new-salary-floor

The new agreement (or at least the one released to players before -- haven't seen any reported change in the current proposal) raises the team salary floor to 85 percent of the salary cap (it was at 75 percent) for the first two years, followed by 90 percent thereafter. The salary cap for this season will be identical to the cap for last year, with the only difference being that it's all pro-rated. Last year's salary cap was $58 million. Eighty-five percent of $58 million is ... $49.3 million.

As you can see, then, the Wizards still need to spend some money. Take away the qualifying offers for Young, Owens, Jeffers and Ndiaye, and the Wizards' total team salary will be $41,575,733. That means the Wizards will need $7,724,267 on at least four players in order to reach the minimum salary floor. Lots of that can go to Young, so it's not like this is insurmountable, but it's worth noting.

But here's the thing: this is all with Lewis on the team. If the Wizards use the amnesty clause on Lewis, that means 75 percent of his salary will be wiped away from the cap. Therefore, the Wizards will need to spend another $16,614,000 just to reach the salary floor, raising the total amount they need to spend to $24,338,267.

That's the big reason why I doubt Lewis will actually be amnesty'd. This is a weak free agent class, and given where the Wizards are in the rebuilding stage, I strongly doubt they'll want to spend that much money this summer. Instead, they'll keep Lewis, let him go next year and give themselves more money to spend in 2012, when there are a ton of marquee free agents available. That would be the smart play, at least.

Edited by StillUnknown

Are we allowed to save our amnesty clause for next year? If so, then yeah I'd go ahead and do that. Shard can at least man the SF position for a year until we get another with what should be a high lotto pick in 2012. Then we amnesty Shard and make a run at Howard. Wall/l2012 pick/Howard is a hell of a trio and Young, Crawford, Blatche, Vesley, and Booker are a good supporting cast. Can't forget Singleton and Mack who we also drafted this past year.

The only thing is, would Howard want to come here? We're probably gunna be a bad team again this year, although if Wall busts out I could see Howard wanting to play with him.

Remember, McGee is a FA too after this year, so we gotta commit one way or another at the C position. Going after Howard means we could end up not getting either.

Read on another forum that we can amnesty Shard this year, add depth with that money and still have the ability to max Howard next year.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing who comes in shape and out of shape. Willing to bet that Blatche is either overweight or poorly conditioned. Sorry, I just don't buy his "working out" in Miami (of all the places) BS. The rest of the guys were busy taking part in basketball games and programs around the country and you heard nothing about Dray. Same old.

Edited by No Excuses

Read on another forum that we can amnesty Shard this year, add depth with that money and still have the ability to max Howard next year.

I'm wondering if we could trade Rashard to a team that is trying to blow things up and start over, but doesn't have a max guy to drop 20 million in salary at once. Maybe a team like the rockets. We need front court help in a bad way!

So glad we have a season coming. I was fortunate to attend an NBA/military event at the gym I go to and it had quite a few players. I know one thing, Javale Mcgee will be ready!

he'll be ready to do dumb **** like trying to dunk over an opposing player from the charity stripe or trying to break the NBA record for most goaltendings in a 66 game season. JaVale is garbage. Hope we can somehow land Dwight Howard.

he'll be ready to do dumb **** like trying to dunk over an opposing player from the charity stripe or trying to break the NBA record for most goaltendings in a 66 game season. JaVale is garbage. Hope we can somehow land Dwight Howard.

Way to be a douche when I shared a cool experience I had involving a lot of NBA players.

Lewis needs to be cut. His contract is holding us down.

Its not really. He's only on the hook for this season, and i think a partial guarantee of 10+mil next year. If you amnesty him this year, you would have to overpay in a weak free agent class this year just to meet the salary floor. Rashard's contract actually allows us the flexibility to be patient in a weak market.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if the Nuggets make a run at Nick Young since JR Smith is stuck in China.

Edited by StillUnknown

I remember Blatche trying to set up an offseason practice/workout with the team, but nobody responded or showed up. That tells you just what you need to know about him. :ols:

With that said, he's still good value. He doesn't make that much $(relative to some other real scrubs in the league)and can play a little bit. He isn't worth amnestying.

The plan is likely to not amnesty Shard until next offseason where we could make a run at more quality FAs. I think there are some other good ones besides just Howard available next year.

Young's a nice player, but not worth breaking the bank over. He is a good compliment to Wall because of his ability to catch and shoot, and a Wall/Young backcourt is very lengthy and athletic which should make them a damn good defensive pair.

But I still wouldn't give him more than $4-5 Mil tops.

I remember Blatche trying to set up an offseason practice/workout with the team, but nobody responded or showed up. That tells you just what you need to know about him. :ols:

With that said, he's still good value. He doesn't make that much $(relative to some other real scrubs in the league)and can play a little bit. He isn't worth amnestying.

The plan is likely to not amnesty Shard until next offseason where we could make a run at more quality FAs. I think there are some other good ones besides just Howard available next year.

When his attempt to organize team workouts failed so miserably I thought the same exact thing - his own teammates can't stand him.

I disagree though with your contention that he is good value. I've had it with him. He is easily the most frustrating player in the NBA. We can find another 7 footer who would actually be more dependable on defense and rebounding. He is good for that rare glimpse of unreal talent, where he tricks people into thinking he has turned the corner. But it's all a sham. A farce, I tell you. Trust me. And yes, while his money is not that bad, his attitude is horrific. The Wizards are a young team, being build around a bonafide and deserving star. All day Dray will just undermine that natural progress we expect to see over the next 2-3 years. He is too selfish to be the third option. He is too lazy to give a 100% effort in the minutes he plays. Despite his age, he is considered a veteran in the league . . . and the idea of him mentoring our younger guys is scary as hell.