Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

He's gonna get killed on the road this year by opposing student sections.

1767-anthony-davis2011_150a.jpg

---------- Post added November-16th-2011 at 06:21 PM ----------

:doh:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/claire-danes-mocks-the-wizards-in-homeland/2011/11/16/gIQAc5p5RN_blog.html

Claire Danes mocks the Wizards in ‘Homeland’

By Dan Steinberg

Have you been watching the new Showtime series “Homeland,” starring Claire Danes, Damian Lewis and Mandy Patankin?

If not, here’s a brief synopsis, from Showtime:

When MIA Marine Sgt. Nicholas Brody returns home to a hero’s welcome after eight years in enemy confinement, brilliant but volatile CIA agent Carrie Mathison isn’t buying his story. She believes that Brody has been turned and is now working for Al Qaeda. What follows is a dangerous game of cat and mouse with nothing short of American national security at stake.

How does this relate to D.C. sports? Well, in a recent episode, the characters played by Danes and Lewis are leaving a drinking establishment, when they have this conversation:

Danes: “I can’t STAND the Wizards. What kind of name is that anyway? For a basketball team? The Wizards? What? Like, magicians in hoods?”

Lewis: “Redskins?”

Danes: [Gasping, holding heart, as seen above] “I LOVE the Redskins. No, I grew up on the Redskins. My father thought he WAS a Redskin. He used to take me to games in the freezing cold. One time, we wore sleeping bags. We climbed in, we zipped em up, all you could see was our eyes.”

Lewis: “You have great eyes”

Danes: “Thank you.”

Lewis: “Kind of secretive.”

Danes: “It comes with the job. Secretive eyes. It’s a requirement. Really. Oh jeez. We drank too much. Oh, I’m going to puke.”

Ok, kind of got off-topic by the end there. But still, to have your nickname mocked in a critically acclaimed TV drama...that’s good times.

Many thanks to Reader Jason for the help on this.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Does the FO view Jan as a SF or a PF? I'd guess SF. No way can he guard a Bosh, Amare or any other NBA PF for that matter. I guess Vesely is house $ and you take the best player available that isn't a PG. Sullinger looks like he's lost weight and has gained some explosiveness, which is interesting. I never thought he would be a great fit alongside Wall due to his lack of athleticism.

Based on the team we seem to be setting up, I'd go with a full court player, like Andre Drummond. Wall to Drummond could be a more athletic Nash to Stoudemire. I also like Lamb from Uconn. We need shooters and he's athletic enough to run with Wall.

Anthony Davis is the truth and man the thought of him here would be something special to watch

Anthony Davis has JaVale McGee written all over him to me. I've had enough of undersized athletic "big men" who make flashy dunks and blocks. I'd rather have a skilled guy who plays defense, has post moves, and has a reliable back to the basket game rather than the guy who gets a few highlight dunks and blocks each game

---------- Post added November-16th-2011 at 05:55 PM ----------

btw....when I say undersized, I'm talking bulk...not height. You can be 7 foot+ all day, but if you've got no bulk, you are getting pushed around in the paint.

My draft board for the Wiz:

1. Anthony Davis

2. Andre Drummond

3. Jared Sullinger

4. Harrison Barnes

5. Perry Jones

Say what you want about Anthony Davis' lack of bulk, he is the real deal. He moves his feet extremely well, plays excellent help defense, and understands how to get positioning down in the paint. He's essentially JaVale McGee with brains, I'll take that any day of the week.

I'm really intrigued by Sullinger though, I figure we'll have a legitimate shot at him in the draft, and wouldn't mind Grunfeld drafting him. He's a good fit in the front court, Vesely and McGee can compensate for his lack of athleticism. Fact is, we need rebounders, and Sullinger is the best one in the nation. He showed glimpses of an improved jumper, but obviously the verdict isn't out on that as the season has just started.

Barnes would be an ideal fit next to Wall, he needs a great passing PG in order to maximize his talent, just look at what he was able to do once Kendall Marshall got the nod as the starter. He has a great jumpshot, albeit a streaky one. He knows how to play within an offense, and isn't a high usage player like most guys on our roster. Problem is, we don't know whether or not Vesely is a SF or PF, my guess is SF, but we have yet to see him play.

Yeah I've heard multiple things on Vesely's position. Last I heard was that they were gonna start him at SF where he can just get out and run, but at the same time develop him as a 4 to use his height (post moves and the like). I don't have real high hopes for him but I think he was BPA and his athleticism is definitely intriguing. Also like that he doesn't have that typical ***** Euro personality/attitude.

Yeah I've heard multiple things on Vesely's position. Last I heard was that they were gonna start him at SF where he can just get out and run, but at the same time develop him as a 4 to use his height (post moves and the like). I don't have real high hopes for him but I think he was BPA and his athleticism is definitely intriguing. Also like that he doesn't have that typical ***** Euro personality/attitude.

Is it offense they are worried about when deciding where to put him on the floor or defense? He has to develop post moves certainly but the problem day 1 is that he doesn't match up defensively on an NBA team. Can't stay with a 3 and will get eaten inside by a 4. He needs time to grow as a player but he won't stay on the floor long as a major defensive mismatch. Hopefully he's working on his defense some during the extended offseason.

Edited by Destino

Is it offense they are worried about when deciding where to put him on the floor or defense? He has to develop post moves certainly but the problem day 1 is that he doesn't match up defensively on an NBA team. Can't stay with a 3 and will get eaten inside by a 4. He needs time to grow as a player but he won't stay on the floor long as a major defensive mismatch. Hopefully he's working on his defense some during the extended offseason.

Not sure where this is coming from, but Jan has terrific lateral quickness, he will definitely be able to keep up with NBA SF's. He may not be a great individual defender, I'm sure he will struggle alongside the perimeter and in the paint, but as for team defense, he will be great because of his motor and athleticism. Not to mention, he has the speed, size and length to close out on shooters, and can block shots as a help defender, which is great in Flip's zone schemes.

Offensively, he moves well without the ball, is great in transition, and doesn't need the ball to be effective. That is all I need to know in order to feel optimistic about his potential in the league.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/11/15/2565099/report-ted-leonsis-not-among-10-owners-who-wrote-letter-opposing-50

Report: Ted Leonsis Not Among 10 Owners Who Wrote Letter Opposing 50/50 Split

So, this is interesting. The Indianapolis Business Journal, a somewhat random source, is reporting that 10 NBA owners drafted a letter to the league's labor relations board saying that they strongly oppose David Stern's 50/50 proposal that was rejected by the players on Monday. For our purposes, the most notable element of the report is that Ted Leonsis and the Washington Wizards were not one of the 10 teams named.

According to sources within the NBA, the league’s labor relations board received a letter from 10 owners strongly opposed to the final offer Stern put on the table offering a 50-50 split.

Owners for Indiana, Atlanta, Charlotte, Denver, Memphis, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Portland and Sacramento said in the letter that they feel that a 50-50 revenue split represents a bad deal for the owners.

Leonsis and the Wizards have been described elsewhere as being in the hard-line group, so if true, this is an interesting tidbit. I, for one, find it nice to consider that Leonsis may not be as much of a hard-liner as previous reports may have indicated.

All of the above, hence "and the like". I think the biggest thing is getting his strength up. He's ridiculously athletic (the "European Blake Griffin") but like you said, he'd get eaten up and pushed around inside.

And again, I've heard several things about where they project him going forward. That was just the last (start as a 3, develop into a 4).

---------- Post added November-16th-2011 at 11:44 PM ----------

I am calling BS on this. Not saying that it is impossible, I am just thinking that the idiot is throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. It seems like that is the MO of most journalist today...... :kickcan:

That story seems like a positive to me :whoknows:

I read that wrong then. I thought they were trying to say that Ted wanted a bigger split in favor of the NBA. My bad, I failed on that one. That being said, I still stand my ground that journalist make stuff up.

I actually read it wrong as well. Took me three reads to get it right. I think it's the headline.

And definitely agree with you on journalists. ESPECIALLY sports journalists. Especially local sports journalists. Especially local sports journalists when it comes to the Skins. And especially 106.7 (if you can even call them journalists).

For those interested, Kansas vs Georgetown is gonna be on ESPN2 in about 20 minutes. The player to watch there is DC-native Thomas Robinson on Kansas. #0, a 6'8" PF. DX has him at #6 in their top 100.

Some others:

Tyshawn Taylor - PG - #10 - Kansas (#53 on DX)

Elijah Johnson - combo guard - #15 - Kansas (#70 DX)

Hollis Thompson - SF - #1 - Georgetown (#79 DX)

http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Top-100-Prospects

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 01:10 AM ----------

Robinson just picked the PG's pocket, went coast to coast annnnd...rimmed the dunk. Still, very impressive for a big man. Already had one dunk to start the game.