Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, Destino said:

Cap goes up but max deals are set numbers that don't adjust.  Let's say the cap in two years is much higher, if traded Ottos deal would pay him as much as 15% more of the remaining value (not including the 4th year) without exceeding the new max contract number.  

Cap won't go up anywhere near 15% though.  7% is very optimistic.  Most projections have been below 4 and some even have the cap going down.

I think the cap might have flattened and that the NBA experienced a bubble.  And I think the slow death of the current cable TV model is going to have a major impact on NBA revenues unless they can change the paradigm of how their sport is watched.

Andrew Sharp (didn't realize he was working for SI now) stated in an article this morning that the 15% kicker is a nonfactor that would come into play only if Otto opted into his fourth year (and thus was eligible for a 30% max as a seven year vet).

So the only thing that really sucks about Otto's contract is the player option.  But someone on RealGM also pointed out that if the cap does go down, then a shorter deal is more advantageous to us.  There will be like three teams with max room by Otto's UFA summer, his market will be dry and he might even have to take a pay cut.  Still feels way too much like the Gordon Hayward and Kevin Love situations for me though.

Bogdanovic's rights were officially renounced. Now he a UFA.

A bad trade at the time because you dont trade first rounders for bench players, just became the worst trade in the NBA in 2017, and Ernie's worst trade imo. We got nothing for him.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

We did WHAT???

Damn right, this is right up there with trading our high first rounder for those two role players a couple years ago.  Team winning in spite of this nonsense, not because of it.  Just wow...

• Like 1

Just now, Renegade7 said:

We did WHAT???

Damn right, this is right up there with trading our high first rounder for those two role players a couple years ago.  Team winning in spite of this nonsense, not because of it.  Just wow...

yup, he just signed a 2 year deal with the Pacers.

If we strike out next summer, Wall is gone. And he should be. He should not waste his prime years playing under the Grunfeld regime.

10 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

A bad trade at the time because you dont trade first rounders for bench players, just became the worst trade in the NBA in 2017, and Ernie's worst trade imo. We got nothing for him.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

We did WHAT???

We traded the 22nd pick for BB and McCullough who was drafted 27th in 2015...I think.  We retained McCullough.

Deep breaths, gentlemen...

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

We traded the 22nd pick for BB and McCullough who was drafted 27th in 2015...I think.  We retained McCullough.

Deep breaths, gentlemen...

I genuinely don't care about McCullough. Never seen him play, and he working back from an ACL tear.

This was a terrible trade. We got NOTHING for a first round pick.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

I genuinely don't care about McCullough. Never seen him play, and he working back from an ACL tear.

It allowed Grunfeld to make people forget that he gave Nicholson all that money

• Like 3

Just now, StillUnknown said:

It allowed Grunfeld to make people forget that he gave Nicholson all that money

and thats the other thing.

The Nets NEED salary. There was no reason to give up a first round pick to them to offload Nicholson. The Nets need the salary to be at the salary floor.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

We don''t know if we got anything for our first round pick.

Let's see if McCullough can develop into a rotation player.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

It also got rid of Nicholson...who inexplicably lost the ability to play basketball sometime last summer.  

We gambled the 22nd pick for Boj to light it up off the bench and spark a run to the ECF.  Almost worked.

I'll take that gamble 10 out of 10 times.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

We don''t know if we got anything for our first round pick.

Let's see if McCullough can develop into a rotation player.

I think what we missing is that McCullough's worth isnt the point. There was no need to get rid of a first. I said it at the time too.

43 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It also got rid of Nicholson...who inexplicably lost the ability to play basketball sometime last summer.  

We gambled the 22nd pick for Boj to light it up off the bench and spark a run to the ECF.  Almost worked.

I'll take that gamble 10 out of 10 times.

it was a stupid gamble as a)Bogdanovic was scared in the playoffs b)Bogdanovic is no longer here c)The Nets needed salary to reach the floor. 

Giving up a first round pick was not necessary but Ernie does what Ernie does.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

10 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Just a reminder that last year was our best season and first division title SINCE NINETEEN SEVENTY-NINE.

That's both inspiring and depressing.  Less inspiring when you consider the team that took us out got a lot better and our franchise player isn't sure about a huge extension.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Just a reminder that last year was our best season and first division title SINCE NINETEEN SEVENTY-NINE.

No doubt in my mind we'll be in the mix come May.  I've been in denial about Wall possibly leaving, but if 2nd round exits are our ceiling...man...

I think it depends on if we can get Cousins.

Cousins makes us instant championship contender and is buds with John wall.... two birds one stone

Mahinmi/Gortat/Morris would have to be dealt (all doable). If Ted is willing to pay the luxury tax for a 4-5 year window, we would have a very good shot at getting a championship in that time frame

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That's both inspiring and depressing.  Less inspiring when you consider the team that took us out got a lot better and our franchise player isn't sure about a huge extension.

I'm not so sure that dumping Bradley/Olynyk to get Hayward is really much of an upgrade.

• Like 1