Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

On 7/13/2017 at 4:15 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm surprised Robinson didn't get drafted.

PLEASE don't put much stock in to this, and who actually knows how much college hoops Kenny Smith actually watches...but he said that if Robinson had stayed another year at UF, he'd be lottery next season. 

4 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

PLEASE don't put much stock in to this, and who actually knows how much college hoops Kenny Smith actually watches...but he said that if Robinson had stayed another year at UF, he'd be lottery next season. 

I was wondering why his name sounded so familiar during the tourney.  He's from the Richmond metro area and I think he used to pop up in the local paper a bunch.

He's going to need some more time in the oven, but I think he's got a classic NBA skill set and he could end up being a better fit for the NBA game than he was in college.  He's a three and D wing.  No handle and he struggles to finish around the basket when he can't jump over guys.  But today's rotation wing mainly needs to keep the ball moving and make his set shot threes.  Defense is the real key for them.

He reminds me a little of Oubre.  Not as quick and explosive as Kelly but he's a lanky leaper who loves playing above the rim and is a tough rebounder in traffic.  I also see Thabo Sefalosha to him.  He's smoother than Kelly and seems to play within himself better.  But he's a little slow in his release on his jumper

I think his success is going to hinge on getting stronger and honing his three ball.  His form on his set shot is good and consistent and he shoots with confidence and he has NBA three point range.  He got good results this season, shooting just under 40%.  But his shot has a lot of knee bend and the ball starts from a bit of a low point.  He's lanky and doesn't have a lot of twitch to him so it looks like he's gathering himself for the release.  He doesn't have a handle, so the way you guard him is to crowd him at the three point line and he won't be able to get his shot off.  He'll have some spacing issues if he doesn't get faster with his release or doesn't play with good shot makers and creators that can get defenders cheating off him.

But if he does get stronger and more capable of absorbing contact and speeds up his process on his three ball, then I think he's going to have an NBA career.  He's a really good fit for what the league is looking for in a modern small forward.

8 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

he would have been a senior if he stayed another year

when's the last time a senior went in the lottery?

if guys are staying in college these days, it usually ends badly for them, look at Ivan Rabb

That's why I took what Kenny Smith said with a grain of salt.  For as much potential as Robinson may have, he's 22...not 19.  Hopefully his learning curve is greater than what we're seeing out of our *first round pick* Chris McCullough. 

Also, this was a good read on BF which pretty much highlights the struggles we all see. 

We're scraping the UDFA and G League barrel for our young talent.  You're going to get like a 10% hit rate on guys that aren't lottery picks.

Summer League is meaningless.  But not making draft picks has already become a cascading issue.  We had no depth because we don't have cheap draftees in development and missed on most of our FA signings, so we trade a first for a three month Bojan rental.  That just makes the bench a year or two from now even more shallow.

Missing on so many later draft picks and free agents hasn't been a huge issue until now because our core was on rookie deals but we have three max players now.  We have to make these free agent signings work and we need to keep our first rounders.

• Like 2

A main reason for our low success rate in free agency is that we keep trying to buy low on guys who are injured or coming off bad play in the hopes they will bounce back.  The success rate reflects the realism of that strategy.  We rarely get guys who are just obviously solid rotation players.  There is always some sort of asterisk and hope that John can work some magic for them.  And we never get young, athletic bigs.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 0:12 PM, Destino said:

Beal was paid on expected future potential and when he received a max deal he was a major gamble IMO.  Let's no rewrite history because he finally put together a good season, after he received his max extension.  Prior to this season he couldn't stay healthy, didn't put up impressive sustained season-long numbers, and had some serious personal clashes with John Wall on the court.  That's not the resume of a player that would normally be considered a safe bet.  The market is what earned him a max extension.  He did have one thing that made a max deal feel like it made sense; he could create his own offense.

Otto Porter is basically the opposite of Beal.  He has significantly better advanced numbers than Beal did on both sides of the ball and is a better shooter.  The problem with Otto is that he's missing that key component, he does not create his own offense.  There aren't a lot of star wings that can't create their own offense.  Can anyone think of a current all star wing that can't create his own shot? 

I'm not rewriting history. I just disagreed with you. I was all for the Beal max way before he got it and played this season. Sure he had some injury problems, but  leading up to that offer he had three straight years of 15+ points and shot roughly 40% from 3, could make his own, and showed his playoff version. Injuries and him not being a 20+ PPG player yet (per 36 he was his final year before the max) was not going to stop me because the kid showed a lot of talent and was oh yeah 22, so no where close to his potential.

All you had to due was look at how Ray Allen started because their career tracks have been very similar thus far

If Otto doesn't work on his handles, or worse never hit the gym, then he never was and never will be worth a max contract. I'm hoping he does