Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

On 7/28/2017 at 7:41 PM, TheItalianStallion said:

But do you think he's on an irreversible decline now?

Yeah.  He was awful after the AS break because he can't handle 82 games of true starter's minutes any more.  It's also clear he can no longer jump unless he's going up off of one foot after a running start.

But everyone loses their athletic edge after they hit their late 20's. The 20 year olds are the best athletes in the league for the first four or five years of their career, but they're not the ones who win.  Winning in the NBA is all about strength and skills and experience.  Gortat has a high floor for an old player in athletic decline, kind of like a poor man's version of the Gasols.  His game is based on strength and cleverness.  His production will diminish but he'll hold up and still give you a ton for a middle of the rotation player.  We just have to figure out how to manage his minutes to keep him from wearing down in February again.  If properly timeshared, I think he can be a 5 win share player this season and remain productive into May and June.

****ing Mahinmi was supposed to give us that option last year.

34 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Thought the same thing but I didn't want to be the guy to say it. 

I don't hold his political apathy against him.  It's cool when they do, but no successful person is obligated to become a political leader or "give back" in that way.  And to my knowledge, Jordan never cynically played the race card to serve his own self interest.  Nor did he pull the ladder up behind him.  If anything he built a ladder for today's players to use.

Also I think his legacy and business empire depended on him being apolitical when he was most relevant.  80's and 90's America would have disliked or ignored him if he'd been like Muhammad Ali.  We had not come that far from the 60's yet.  I absolutely get why he presented himself as very corporate and neutral.

But that also means he doesn't deserve the same kind of respect and legacy that athletes like Muhammad Ali and Jackie Robinson earned.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't hold his political apathy against him.  It's cool when they do, but no successful person is obligated to become a political leader or "give back" in that way.  And to my knowledge, Jordan never cynically played the race card to serve his own self interest.  Nor did he pull the ladder up behind him.  If anything he built a ladder for today's players to use.

Also I think his legacy and business empire depended on him being apolitical when he was most relevant.  80's and 90's America would have disliked or ignored him if he'd been like Muhammad Ali.  We had not come that far from the 60's yet.  I absolutely get why he presented himself as very corporate and neutral.

But that also means he doesn't deserve the same kind of respect and legacy that athletes like Muhammad Ali and Jackie Robinson earned.

Thats basically how I feel. Make ya money playa. Who am I to disagree? Its possible I would have done the same thing faced with the same decision. 

But that pretty much gets you off of Mount Everest on my back when the rest of them went the other direction. I totally feel you. 

Still gonna call it the phone booth until some thing better comes along.

On 8/1/2017 at 5:02 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Seraphin got waived today.

Should we?

Can we?

Why did he get waived?  I thought he was decent last time we played against him, but I guess that was above the average.

22 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

The crazy thing is, I generally am not a fan of corporate sounding names for stadiums, unless it either has a generic sounding name or has a ring to it.  I dont think I like how Capital One Center sounds.  It would be cool if they went retro and just called it the Capitol Center though.

Edited by justice98

Episode 5- Steve Buckhantz & Phil Chenier
Andy Pollin's DC Podcast
Duration: 1:12:47
Published: Wed, 02 Aug 2017 08:00:00 +0000
URL: http://traffic.libsyn.com/andypollinsdcpodcast/08-02-17_Andy_with_Steve_Buckhantz_and_Phil_Chenier.mp3?dest-id=538860

<p>Andy brings on the duo Bullets/ Wizards fans have listened for years, Steve Buckhantz & Phil Chenier.  They discuss how they first met, Phil and Andy go year by year for the Bullets in the 70s, why...

Subscribe to this podcast: http://andypollinsdcpodcast.libsyn.com/rss

----
Sent from Podcast Republic 3.1.3
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.itunestoppodcastplayer.app