Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Also, we finally have some continuity heading into a season.  Same coach, same starters, and a few bench holdovers in the rotation.  Plus John is healthy and should be in good shape.  Bunch of little things that make a difference.

I don't think John, Brad, and Otto are done improving either.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Also, we finally have some continuity heading into a season.  Same coach, same starters, and a few bench holdovers in the rotation.  Plus John is healthy and should be in good shape.  Bunch of little things that make a difference.

Otto sure as hell better not be finished improving.  

• Like 1

Two notes -

How uninspired with the uni's. Fans loved the Stars/Stripes white home uni's and the alt-blues. Maybe they will still have those. I don't know. But to just show the same uni's with smaller numbers. Why announce anything?

Capital One Centre would be an ok name for the area. Kind of a hat tip to the past. 

I can't tell a difference in the design between the new jerseys and the old ones.  It looks like there is stitching around the team name and it looks like they're made out of some kind of mesh now.  Other than that, they're basically the same.

I too will be disappointed if they don't keep the alternates.

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

I'm not sure how much of a future Sato has. His value takes a hit if he's not a pg, removes a lot of the intrigue behind him

He's stuck between positions.  He's a natural wing but he can't shoot and that's a requirement of the position now.  But I don't now if he has the pick and roll game to play point and he also might be too tall and slow for the position.

He'll also have limited opportunities to run point in DC because John and Brad push everyone off the ball for almost the whole game.

I think his career in DC depends on learning to shoot.  If he does it, he's a natural 3 and D wing with some ball handling and shot creating utility.  Otherwise I think he'll wash out and need to end up on a good offense that keeps the ball from sticking in any one guy's hands like Denver, Golden State, or San Antonio to stay in the league.

But he can definitely learn to shoot.

21 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Yall need Jesus.

I think we all could use more of Jesus...

Doesn't take from the fact that he (I'm not even going to say his name in this thread anymore) is a subpar GM.

Can we get one of those filters to replace "Ernie Grunfield" with "he"? I would like that.

On 8/3/2017 at 7:21 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yep, plus two of the top players in the east (Butler and George) went west and hopefully Kyrie as well.  And we shouldn't start 2-8 again either.  I like us improving over our win total next year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-walls-bond-wizards-special-era-staying-put-harder-ever-151736303.html

Why John Wall's bond with Wizards is special in era when staying put is harder than ever

WASHINGTON – In this era of unprecedented superstar movement, when pledges of commitment can be quickly flipped into trade demands or free-agent departures, John Wall had the easy part down when presented with the chance to commit his prime to the team that drafted him: He wanted to be in Washington.

When he hops on a scorer’s table and shouts, “This my city!” – as he did after his game-winning 3-pointer in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against Boston – Wall truly means it. Wall might rep Raleigh, North Carolina, and one season in Lexington, Kentucky, established the deepest of bonds, but Washington is home. He also has one of the more unique connections to the NBA community that he represents because he plays basketball in the hometown of his late father. So, unlike other stars who have been in similar positions, Wall wasn’t approaching with wandering eyes the expiration date on his tenure.

“I think a lot of players want to be in a certain place. Who wouldn’t want to be in L.A.? Who wouldn’t want to be in Miami? Those are amazing cities. Well, I’m in one of the best cities you want to be, in D.C. So I’m fine,” Wall told The Vertical, explaining why he agreed to a four-year extension worth $170 million that starts in 2019 and should keep him with the Wizards through 2023.

Leonsis has invested more than $400 million over the past two summers to keep Bradley Beal and Otto Porter and to reward Wall with the third-richest contract in NBA history. Beal and Porter benefited from the salary-cap spike that turned the $86 million extension Wall received in 2013 – when Wall was coming off a serious knee injury – into one of the league’s best bargains. Wall just had to wait his turn for the generational, nine-figure hook-up.

Wall has never forgotten how the Wizards’ organization never let him test the open market as a free agent, never let his name leak out in trade rumors and has always stepped up to take care of him at the first opportunity. “I know where I want to be. I know who I’m committed to,” Wall told The Vertical. “I could see if they did something disloyal to me, where I could be, ‘I got something on them, I’m going to pay them back.’ They have done nothing to me but been loyal to me. They stuck with me. They could’ve been, ‘Oh, he’s injury-prone, he’s not doing this, we’ve got to get rid of this guy.’ They’ve stuck with me through those tough times. And the player and the person that I’ve become now, is the same reason why I stuck with those guys.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 2