Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

16 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

You setting yourself up for disappointment if you think the Wizards are better than Boston.

Last season Boston had just one perimeter scorer. Shoot just one scorer period. Now they have two at least all star level perimeter scorers.

They need to find a two guard but that team is a legit finals contender now with their moves. 

Meanwhile the Wizards have done nothing. Beal, Otto, and Johnny have to move up a peg this season for the Wizards to compete with them but the bench is going by to be the weak spot yet again.

i guess.

Ultimately, it comes down to you believing Boston's new perimeter players will overcome the loss of Crowder (for now), Bradley, Olynyk etc.

Personally, I don't think so.

Teams that can score generally aren't a problem for the Wiz. In fact, it plays into our hands.

The Wiz want an uptempo game.

It's the defensive teams with the "hardworking", borderline dirty teams (Utah, previously Boston) that give us problems.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Yeah teams like Utah stifle us.  Those were painful games.  They could physically overpower our perimeter players and our bigs.

The other type of team that hurt us were the ones who can shell us from three (swept by Dallas and Houston, blown out in Golden State, lost the season series to Cleveland, two embarrassing losses to Philly).

• Like 1

If this trade goes through, then Boston will lose almost all of the physicality in their perimeter defense and they've already lost a lot of their perimeter shooting.

Fine by me.  The thing that sucks is that Thomas and Crowder had to end up on Cleveland.  They're going to have a team that'll be even stronger against us than they were last year.  If IT is healthy in May, we'll have no chance of beating them in a series.  They're going back to the Finals and we're stuck hoping LeBron leaves next summer.

• Like 1

We sucked against Utah because of Stifle, not the perimeter D. Same goes for Miami. And to a lesser extend, Boston, because Marcin couldn't guard Horford or Olynyk anywhere on the court, and Ian was either injured or in foul trouble. Oh, and Boston is about to pick up Bogut for $5. 

Yeah I don't know where this sudden fear of perimeter defense is coming from.  Boston beat us because we couldn't guard them and our bench was utter garbage.  The teams that shut our offense down have tend to have a shot blocker that eats up our drives to the rim. 

What?  What games were you all watching?  Avery Bradley killed us.  And Crowder was a constant pest that Porter could not match up with.  Beefy, physical perimeter players have always given us trouble.  Kent Bazemore.  Demarre Carroll.  CJ Miles.  Gerald Henderson.  Norman Powell.  Solomon Hill.  PJ Tucker.  James Johnson.  All lit us up and none of them are actually good.  Not to mention Jimmy Butler, James Harden, Paul George, LeBron, Kawhi, and Melo kill us every time.

By all means, the game plan should always be to let the likes of Bradley, Bazemore, Henderson, Hill, etc get the points. They are not going to win you the game. Thomas and Horford were. Now they have two other guys who get theirs no matter who guards them. That's a problem. Bradley was never ever a factor for us, even with his defense. Hell, I'm not even sure if he played against us more than once last year due to injuries. 

Washington struggles against teams with a good interior presence and teams with a legit bench. We haven't fixed those problems pretty much ever. 

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What?  What games were you all watching?  Avery Bradley killed us.  And Crowder was a constant pest that Porter could not match up with.  Beefy, physical perimeter players have always given us trouble.  Kent Bazemore.  Demarre Carroll.  CJ Miles.  Gerald Henderson.  Norman Powell.  Solomon Hill.  PJ Tucker.  James Johnson.  All lit us up and none of them are actually good.  Not to mention Jimmy Butler, James Harden, Paul George, LeBron, Kawhi, and Melo kill us every time.

Here are the scores of the games we lost to Boston in the playoffs:

123-111

129-119

123-101

115-105

Here are the scores of the games the Wizards won:

116-89

121-102

92-91

So I say again, the Wizards lost because they couldn't stop Boston.  Not because Boston could defend the Wizards so well.  You're not going to win a lot of playoff games in the NBA when the opponent scores 120+.  Ours is the team that that should be worried about perimeter defense because Boston spread us out and shelled us. 

Also Beal and Porter didn't miss threes because of great perimeter defense.  They couldn't hit open threes, we all saw it.

John Wall, Washington Wizards

Wall isn't the off-the-dribble shooter that Paul is. Among those 89 players who attempted at least 200 pull-up jumpers last season, Wall ranked 73rd in effective field goal percentage on those shots. But he's a terror on the break and is one of the best passers in the game. He ranks sixth all-time (second behind Paul among active players) in assists per game and was one of three players (James Harden and LeBron James were the others) who broke the previous record for most assists on corner 3-pointers in a single season.

Defensively, Wall ranked second in steals and deflections per game. According to SportVU, he ranked second in suppressing the scoring of the player he guarded last season.

I'll take the positive recognition, but if I'm being honest, they've overrated John's defense last season.  There were issues with consistency of effort and it was probably his worst season on that end of the court.

Last year was curious in that almost all of the star players in the league declined in defensive performance except Davis, Durant, and Paul.  Even Leonard was worse.  The standard for defense in the NBA has very rapidly turned to ****.

That said, John is a transcendent defensive player for a PG when he's feeling good and focused.  Judging by the intensity of his offseason regime this summer, I think we're going to get an amazing season out of him on that end of the court.  And I think arguments for his MVP case will help restore some of the expectation that the MVP play that side of the court too.

On 8/28/2017 at 11:47 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'll take the positive recognition, but if I'm being honest, they've overrated John's defense last season.  There were issues with consistency of effort and it was probably his worst season on that end of the court.

Last year was curious in that almost all of the star players in the league declined in defensive performance except Davis, Durant, and Paul.  Even Leonard was worse.  The standard for defense in the NBA has very rapidly turned to ****.

That said, John is a transcendent defensive player for a PG when he's feeling good and focused.  Judging by the intensity of his offseason regime this summer, I think we're going to get an amazing season out of him on that end of the court.  And I think arguments for his MVP case will help restore some of the expectation that the MVP play that side of the court too.

Its hard to commit that much energy to defense when he also has to play a ton of minutes as the focal point of the team's offense.

A better backup PG = better D from Wall

On 8/29/2017 at 6:45 PM, justice98 said:

Vegas over/under has the Wiz at 47.5 wins.  45-49 seems perfect.  Maybe they squeeze out one or two extra, but that's it.

Over. Easily. Vegas is just taking advantage of all the numbskulls who still think we're  #6 seed type team.

• Like 1

LeBron is a robot.  Mechanics look consistent off the catch.  He could shoot 60% from the field and 40% from three and lead the league in ORtg if he'd play off the ball with a top level creator like John or CP3.  But I just can't see him ever accepting a situation where he spends the majority of possessions of the ball.  He would push them off the ball instead, and while I think CP3 could thrive in that situation, John couldn't.