Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Is he really saying that thy should just be able to do the same thing in the second half? Did any of the media there respond to that with gasps of outrage and thrown shoes? They should have.

I'm almost convinced that CSN has a gag order in place preventing them from discussing the problems with the offense. They never mention it on air or in interviews.

Edited by StillUnknown

I can't believe they lost.

Hornets are playing better now.  After thinking in the off-season we would be a 5 seed at worst, then starting out the way we did and wondering if we would even make the playoffs, it was a rough ride.  Still is.  

Y'all have a 10 1/2 game lead on us for the #3 spot, we are 11 games out of 4 and 5, 5 games out of 6th.  Only 33 games left.  Honestly, I don't see us moving up more than #6.  Possibly #5 if someone tanks.  

But I see the danger in y'all dropping to 4-6 pretty easily if you don't pick up the pace.

Click to read

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2015/2/5/7984791/p-a-n-i-c-the-wizards-have-some-real-issues

P-A-N-I-C! The Wizards Have Some Real Issues

With all due respect to Alan Jenkins' excellent FanPost, the Wizards are in serious trouble. Deep down, you know it, I know it, and yes, the team knows it. Sure, recent misfortune aside, the team is still clinging to that 3rd spot in the East. This, of course, is Fool's Gold because Cleveland's on a nice run and will probably elbow their way into that spot by week's end. The fact remains, this team's got some glaring issues (depth, reliable shooting, defense, age) that aren't just gonna magically fix themselves. 

Look at all the flotsam on the roster right now.

* Martell Webster

* Andre Miller

* Dejuan Blair 

* Garrett Temple

* Drew Gooden

* Rasual Butler

There's 6 of your 14 roster spots used on guys whom you can't rely on to contribute on a nightly basis. A team this old, and this unathletic simply can't win with what's essentially an 8 man rotation. Not when your starting bigs are hit and miss, and the guys you bring off the bench for them are role players with glaring limitations of their own. Bradley Beal is in his 3rd year and still struggles to create his own offense. I don't care what fancy crunch time stats you show me, the eye test clearly tells you that Paul Pierce is washed. Otto Porter's never going to grow as long as he's out there playing with second units. There's not another recent draft pick developing in the D-League to rescue this bench

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

We're got our money's worth from Rasual Butler. But Miller, Blair, Temple, Gooden, and Webster are all useless though, unworthy of cracking a playoff team's rotation. Blair appears to have forgotten how to play basketball, Temple is probably the worst shooter on the team and has always been a deep bench guy, Webster is probably done as an NBA player (and his contract is hurting pretty bad), and Miller and Gooden are just old. We milked the last bit of good basketball out of them.

But Pierce isn't washed. He's old but he's doing as well as you can expect him to do at his age. He'll have a great couple of nights and then a rough couple of nights. Still a useful player on a bargain of a contract. But I don't know that he deserves to start any more.

We're also getting nothing from Otto and I think that author is right, he's playing with scrubs and it wastes his game. Otto is a glue man, not a ball dominating alpha scorer. Randy has got to make some kind of changes. He should start by starting Otto and letting him play with the 1s permanently.

As it is right now, we're spending 20 million dollars and 7 roster spots on guys who are giving us absolutely zero most nights. Starting Otto and having Pierce as the lead scorer on the bench might make it just 15.7 million and 6 guys.

Ernie has flubbed the bench situation so poorly. He built an unbalanced roster that was too front court heavy coming into the season and it's biting us in the ass. He's currently gotten zero from all but four of our draft picks in the past six years (and three of them are top three picks). He screwed up the back up PG situation last summer by giving Eric Maynor that stupid contract and he still hasn't been able to fix the issue. And the Webster contract has been a total failure. And moreover he deserves to get roasted for leaving the final roster spot open because he wants to chase a 39 year old player sitting at home who would be here if he ****ing wanted to.

There are no obvious solutions out there, but Ernie needs to make some trades and save his ass because this team is not just going to play their way out of this mess.

Per a poster from realgm:

John Wall said he's just running the plays that are called nonono.gif 

If Randy loses Wall, its over.

Gortat.. just listen to him.. Sounds like Randy is already lost him.. Dude is beaten down. And we are talking Gortat. One of the most upbeat people on the team.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... und-2-2-15

" Some things just don't work more for me"
" Running for 30 mins and it like I'm invisible "
" I'm trying to adapt "
" Some things don't work for me "

This is coaching. Gortat is a PnR player and they aren't using him that way.

Randy is a defensive assistant like EFJ was an offensive assistant. Coaches like that are 1/2 coaches. There are two parts to the game. Offense and Defense. The good team have coaches they run sound systems for both.

And as some mentioned, coaching is more important as less teams are able to get away with running isolation offenses. Zone scheme and otherwise smothering defenses that rotate well have change the game. And even on of the great iso player ever to play, played best in a triangle offense, not an iso offense.

Look a ATL offense. Then look at ours. Is there anything similar at all ?

Randy's offense is so predictable, other team just jump the lames. That has a lot to do with the turnovers.

Randy will tell you, we turned it over to much. We didnt move the ball and share it. 
I would say, its he crap offense to leads to those problems.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 2

I agree with starting Otto, and having Pierce come off the bench. Otto is being wasted with the second unit. Let Seraphin and Pierce be the go to scorers for the second unit, and Otto can give the starting unit some better perimeter defense. 

Or, he's a grand idea, maybe Witt could stop platooning the rotation and actually coach during the game. Use some smart substitutions to take advantage of mismatches. Something different than the crap he's been doing all year. 

• Like 1

Kind of amazing how the back up PG situation can cause the team to fall apart like this but there it is. We are overworking Wall because we can't trust our back up PG and it's wearing him down and consequently wearing the team down. And we can't trust any back up PG because the roster and system demand elite PG play to score.

A good combo guard coming off the bench and a stretch four with three ball range could fix so many of the roster's problems. A great coach with a good offensive system could do it too.

One more thing, if Seraphin is about to get offers of 8 ot 10 million a year from teams, then it is time to friggin trade him!! No way we can afford to pay that to keep him.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

One of the reasons the back up PG is such a big deal is because Beal can't initiate the offense.  He gets compared to Harden because of the rumored trade and this is where the two seem to really separate.  When Harden was young in the NBA he was much more advanced at taking over some point responsibilities than Beal is now.  The Wizards seemed to really want him to be that guy last season but this year they seem to have given it up on it lately. 

The Wizards are desperate for a guy that can fill that role, they tried to get Otto creating off the dribble in summer league and it was a disaster.  Too bad Jordan Crawford had to have an attitude problem because he'd be a nice third guard right now.   

Sad to say but I knew deep down inside going into this year with wittman still the coach we were in trouble.. Not sure why they finally corrected that issue with the caps this year and not the wizz, seemed obvious he got as much/far as he was going to get last year. Oh well tis the life of a dc sports fan mediocre at best...

Oh man this comment lol. The pic hes referring to is at the top of the article..

Edited by STBonecrusher21
  • Like 1