Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Randy is still not good enough.

Yeah but the team isn't good enough yet either. Even with a much better coach, I don't think this team is ready to contend yet. Wall and Beal are still too young.

I would definitely keep Randy around. Right now he and the team are growing together at a really rapid pace. I wouldn't get in the way of that by making a coaching change.

If we get further into our window and plateau and the only way to get better is to make a coaching change, then so be it. But for now Randy is the right man for the job.

• Like 1

I've been curious about something too: Randy. Has your opinions of him changed? If so,how? Does it say anything about being a successful coach in the NBA?

No, he's the same poor coach during the game that he's always been. Grunfield has just given him a much better team to mismanage, and they have the ability to overcome his inability to coach. 

I would definitely keep Randy around. Right now he and the team are growing together at a really rapid pace. I wouldn't get in the way of that by making a coaching change.

If we get further into our window and plateau and the only way to get better is to make a coaching change, then so be it. But for now Randy is the right man for the job.

I didn't say fire him.

I've been curious about something too: Randy. Has your opinions of him changed? If so,how? Does it say anything about being a successful coach in the NBA?

I have changed a bit on Randy. He's never going to be mistaken for an offensive mastermind, but he has the pulse of his team, and more importantly, the star players.

I don't think you win a championship with Witt at the helm, but he's earned some rope for the time being. I wish we were a bit more innovative on offense, but Witt's "old school" mentality cuts both ways. He doesn't strike me as the type that is open to new lines of thinking. He's more of a "just do whats worked over the years, but better" kind of coach.

Another thing, this is truly Randy's team. They've got complete trust in him and this roster has really been shaped by the FO to suit Randy's coaching style and personality. Quiet, serious, professional, and tough. I like that Randy is also patient (with everyone but GRJr apparently). Maybe sometimes patient to a fault but he's a very steady hand on the wheel and this really showed up as an advantage last year in the playoffs. With the type of players we have, this team doesn't need a lot of hard coaching or a very controlling coach. Honestly, I don't see a very controlling Thibs-type being as effective here as he is in Chicago.

Also, he's got a really good relationship with Wall and Beal and Porter are his guys. That's really important for the future direction of the team.

Randy kind of reminds me of Doc Rivers in style, defensive-minded with a mid range heavy offensive system. That's part of why I think Pierce has been such an immediate and easy fit. And stylistically, we've got a lot of players now that can thrive at a slow pace, hit mid range shots, and play defense. What we do works now.

I'm pretty confident in Randy now, where I wasn't last season. No, he's not a Carlisle-caliber coach with the Xs and Os. But he does have a real strength handling the Jimmys and Joes part of coaching and in some ways that's more important. Look at Cleveland's situation with David Blatt. Probably one of the smartest coaches in pro-basketball but he's an NBA neophyte and he doesn't have that locker room. That's a pretty big problem, to the point where they're already talking about him being on the hot seat. I wouldn't want to risk going through something like that by trying to replace Randy.

I'll say this about Randy, this team fits him and his style so much that there aren't many coaches I'd want other than him right now. This is not to say that their are none, just not that many. Grunfeld has provided him the guys that play Wittman's old school style, that must seem like a slap in the face to advanced metric nerds, and it's working. Replacing him with the wrong coach, even a coach most think is better, would likely get less out of this roster.

To be fair, but also not trying to pile on Randy, our guys dont seem like the toughest group to work with. No big egos or diva personalities.

I disagree. Lots of big egos here, but they are happy so it's not a problem. I'd bet Nene and Gortat are a huge pain in the ass given a coach they dislike. Paul Pierce is not a humble man that would just play a way he thought was wrong. Andre Miller sure as hell didn't see eye to eye with the nuggets.

What we're seeing here is happy players and great team chemistry.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

Calendar hasn't reached January yet and we're already almost half way to 50 wins. Amazing. We beat my hope that we'd get to 20 by the end of the month. We've got a really great chance to win 56+ games this year so long as we hold form.

Remember how happy we were when we finally hit .500 last season? We were bouncing off the walls. It was a major milestone for us.

Now we're cruising at over 70% wins. Feels too good to be true. I know January is our most brutal month on paper. But we also aren't even close to playing our best basketball yet. Hell we just got our starting line up this week.

This team is being really good to us fans. They're winning and surpassing our expectations. They're exciting. And every player is likable. I've never had a more enjoyable fan experience than rooting for these current Wizards and Nationals teams.

• Like 2

Its not just ESPN, I was watching NBA network (Game Time) and Brent Barry was all over the Rocket's jock. Even in the loss he was going on about how they were just tired from playing the Spurs the night before. The only thing he said about Washington was that they need to play better and not let leads slip away. 

• Like 1

Its not just ESPN, I was watching NBA network (Game Time) and Brent Barry was all over the Rocket's jock. Even in the loss he was going on about how they were just tired from playing the Spurs the night before. The only thing he said about Washington was that they need to play better and not let leads slip away. 

I saw that. 

Been looking at the power rankings from about 5 different sites, just for laughs. We're barely in the top 10, yet somehow the Bulls have vaulted from as high as 7 or 8, to the number one spot in most rankings. The lovefest is strong.

Bulls have played most of their games on the road and when they click... they really do look impressive. With Butler having a monster season they have two big time scorers and that great defense. Gasol is also a huge upgrade over Boozer.

I could see them beating most of the western teams in the nba finals.

Edited by Destino