Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Frustrating. Not going to blame anybody.

Just am going to say that for a few years this team isn't nearly good enough at FTs. They should stay after the arena clears out, get in line, and start shooting those. Randy needs to add extra time to practicing that because they are not nearly where they need to be.

Hope they are as pissed as we are.

Frustrating. Not going to blame anybody.

Just am going to say that for a few years this team isn't nearly good enough at FTs. They should stay after the arena clears out, get in line, and start shooting those. Randy needs to add extra time to practicing that because they are not nearly where they need to be.

Hope they are as pissed as we are.

No single person is to "blame". The team just missed two opportunities to win games vs. teams playing road back to backs.  Two team failures and you best believe Randy is included.

If I was on the fence about making a move for Durant, I'm all in now.  This game just proved how badly we need a player that can truely take over and close games for us.  We all hope Beal and/or Wall can be that, but the top teams in the East have been underestimated.  As good as we are, we need help to seperate ourselves from the pack.

Man, I can tell we're in a funk. No posts in the thread since a little before 11:00. It's still early enough in the season where I can't trip off of back-to-back loses. If we lose on Christmas though, I don't know how bad I'm going to feel. That is a must win game for me. lol

There are five legit good teams in the East.  Eight in the West.

Us, Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, and Atlanta???

Warriors, Mavs, Spurs, Grizzlies, Clippers, Thunder, Blazers, and ???

Man, I can tell we're in a funk. No posts in the thread since a little before 11:00. It's still early enough in the season where I can't trip off of back-to-back loses. If we lose on Christmas though, I don't know how bad I'm going to feel. That is a must win game for me. lol

Us, Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, and Atlanta???

Warriors, Mavs, Spurs, Grizzlies, Clippers, Thunder, Blazers, and ???

I assume he meant Rockets?

Wittman shoulda went small earlier. That was a big mistake.

Im very worried about Beal as well. He needs to be a big time scorer for us.

Refs saved Chicago last night but like I said weeks ago, thats the best team in the East. They may even be best team in the NBA if they are all healthy and right.

The problem with going small early is that Noah and Pau do have scoring ability and Pierce can't guard either of them.  We can get away with it for a time but if you do it early the Bulls will eventually exploit it.  It's easier to go small early against teams running smaller stretch 4's. 

Also the reason the Wizards lost was not everyone.  It was largely Gortat, Nene, and Wittman.  I included Wittman because he's too in love with the pick n pop and has our bigs settling for mid range jumpers far too often.  Neither of our best two bigs impressed on defense and both had horrible shooting nights.

We aren't ever going to beat the Bulls with Gortat and Nene having more shot attempts than points and shooting in the 30% range. 

Edited by Destino

The problem with going small early is that Noah and Pau do have scoring ability and Pierce can't guard either of them.  We can get away with it for a time but if you do it early the Bulls will eventually exploit it.  It's easier to go small early against teams running smaller stretch 4's. 

Also the reason the Wizards lost was not everyone.  It was largely Gortat, Nene, and Wittman.  I included Wittman because he's too in love with the pick n pop and has our bigs settling for mid range jumpers far too often.  Neither of our best two bigs impressed on defense and both had horrible shooting nights.

We aren't ever going to beat the Bulls with Gortat and Nene having more shot attempts than points and shooting in the 30% range.

I didnt say early, as in first quarter. I meant early like 2nd half when the Bulls made their run to pull away for a bit. Spacing the floor got us back in it. Also, and more importantly, it freed the lane for Wall.

Another thing I notice is a problem with this team is we dont have another slasher outside of Wall.

Another thing I notice is a problem with this team is we dont have another slasher outside of Wall.

We don't have another guy the defense has to focus on at all.  If a big had to be doubled that would help create space.  If we had a slasher at the 2 or 3 that would help Wall find room.  We have neither.  Defenses have hurt our offense the most when they force Wall to give up the ball early and send help to take away his dribble penetration.  When they do that this offense comes to a screeching halt and suddenly everyone is taking jump shots. 

I like Beal in many ways but I'm starting to think he doesn't have "max star" in him.  He is looking more and more like a really good role player.  My main concern is that he requires a screen beat his man off the dribble, and for a guard that simply is not good enough.  Think of the all star guards in this league and tell me which ones struggle to penetrate with the ball in their hands against a single defender?  That ability to drive is essential. 

Edited by Destino

We don't have another guy the defense has to focus on at all.  If a big had to be doubled that would help create space.  If we had a slasher at the 2 or 3 that would help Wall find room.  We have neither.  Defenses have hurt our offense the most when they force Wall to give up the ball early and send help to take away his dribble penetration.  When they do that this offense comes to a screeching halt and suddenly everyone is taking jump shots. 

I like Beal in many ways but I'm starting to think he doesn't have "max star" in him.  He is looking more and more like a really good role player.  My main concern is that he requires a screen beat his man off the dribble, and for a guard that simply is not good enough.  Think of the all star guards in this league and tell me which ones struggle to penetrate with the ball in their hands against a single defender?  That ability to drive is essential.

Its why I keep saying this needs to be asked. I am not sure Beal is really that guy either. And that has been evident since day one with his inability to beat someone off the dribble and it has not improved at all.

It concerns me tremendously because thats the difference between a Kelvin Martin and a Klay Thompson.

He is still 21 so I can give him some time, but idiots like Feinstein who say that he is the best player on this team look like fools at this moment when talking about Beal.

One thing I am grateful for, and I give myself credit for asking Wall to do this on here (lol), he is taking over scoring when its needed. And in the 4th quarter, he is reminding me of CP3 a few years ago. He doesnt make many bad decisions anymore.