Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Did anyone else catch the Bad Boys 30 for 30? I've been saying from the moment we won that lottery and the opportunity to take Wall that that's who we need to be emulating. That's the last team to win it all with a PG as their premier player (Zeke). I like to think that's exactly what we're doing. Beal is Dumars. Surrounded with tough bigs like Gortat and Nene and high energy guys like Booker. We REALLY need Otto to develop into something special.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Zeke and Dumars was the only truly great PG/SG duo of the past 30 years IMO. Maybe I'm missing someone. But that's the only one that comes to mind.

Porter really does need to become something for us. If he becomes a third foundation piece, then we've got something special here already.

So then you see where I'm coming from with the comparison?

And if you haven't already, check out that 30 for 30. Promise you'll enjoy it. I'll check when it comes in again and post it

Edit

Comes on today on ESPN2 at 9:00AM. Not another showing until next Saturday so catch the one today if you haven't seen it already.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Wiz beat Bulls in Round 1.

Wiz beat Pacers in Round 2.

Wiz beat Miami in Round 3 when Lebron is unable to play in the series due to an injury in previous round.

Wiz lose to Thunder in finals.

KD comes to DC.

Book it.

• Like 1

Been thinking a lot about this. Is Durant more likely to leave OKC if he wins a ring there in the next two years or if he doesn't win a ring there? The Decision experience would be if he doesn't. But Durant isn't LeBron. Maybe he wins a ring, says he's given OKC a title and now it's time to go home and do the same there? I don't know

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Lol, wanna do something fun? Go back to the start of this thread and start reading. I was looking for my past posts about emulating the Bad Boys. The debates about Baltche, Nick Young and McGee are pretty amusing. Apparently I went full douche and was bookmarking any posts that were in support of Baltche. So I could call them out later. But I was all about Jordan Crawford. Yikes. I definitely called Wall being the best PG in the league though.

Wall is averaging more assists this year than Rose, Williams, Paul and Rondo did their rookie seasons. And is ****ing sixth in the NBA right now. That is absolutely amazing. Wall is legit. He is a franchise player. And, in my opinion, he will be the best PG in the league in 3 years. I just pray we put a good enough team around him to keep him here.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/319902-the-official-washington-wizards-thread/page-78#entry8221358

First post I can find here about the Bad Boys

Great post Des. The model to emulate that I've had in my mind ever since we won the lottery, is the Bad Boy Pistons. That was the last team to win a championship whose franchise player was a point guard (Zeke). I think we saw Ernie moving in just that direction with the drafting of Booker and Seraphin after Wall.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/319902-the-official-washington-wizards-thread/page-78#entry8221439

I know I posted on WE (RIP) about it the night we won the lottery.

Shared this story before, I was delivering pizzas that night and listening to the lottery in my car. OMG I was so hyped we won it. Had to tell someone so next customer answers the door, first thing I say is "are you a basketball fan?!?!" So the customer happened to be a Black gentleman and he didn't like my question. I think he thought I was asking him because he was Black. But when I explained why I was asking, he got hyped too. God that was a great night. So nice to win the lottery in a year where there was a legit #1, #1.

So then you see where I'm coming from with the comparison?

And if you haven't already, check out that 30 for 30. Promise you'll enjoy it. I'll check when it comes in again and post it

Edit

Comes on today on ESPN2 at 9:00AM. Not another showing until next Saturday so catch the one today if you haven't seen it already.

I watched it. Fantastic documentary. I really enjoyed the Laimbeer & Mahorn & Salley commentary. That team had some characters. The really poignant moment for me was when Mahorn got picked in the expansion draft. Can't imagine how much that must have sucked. Why didn't they protect him?

I liked how well the conveyed the importance in basketball of chemistry, of being a true team. You can start seeing our identity come together like Detroit's did.

I also liked how they showed what a ****ing cancer Adrian Dantley was, but did it without judging him. Let him tell his side of the story, let him condemn himself with his own mouth. They were graceful enough not to point out that he was just about washed up by the time he got to Detroit.

I really cannot see the Wizards beating the Bulls. We have more talent but the coaching gap is too wide.

It's really wide. And Chicago is a more mature team. Experience matters. They're players are talking about us in a way that makes me nervous. Giving us a lot of credit, but it sounds like the vet team saying, "nu uh young bloods, wait your turn."

If we lose but give them a good series. I'll be alright with that. Chicago is a class organization and that's and impressive team. Fan base is good. They're kind of where we want to be. If NBA history is a gauge, they'll win and the natural order of things will be maintained.

BUT, you can't help but notice we've got more talent. And sometimes coaching doesn't give the edge. OKC gets out coached by pretty much everyone, but they can beat anyone. Most teams don't have a coach anywhere near as good as Pops or Carlisle or Thibs. This Bulls team definitely isn't a powerhouse. We've got a legit chance.

Been thinking a lot about this. Is Durant more likely to leave OKC if he wins a ring there in the next two years or if he doesn't win a ring there? The Decision experience would be if he doesn't. But Durant isn't LeBron. Maybe he wins a ring, says he's given OKC a title and now it's time to go home and do the same there? I don't know

Durant is more likely to stay if he wins a ring I think. So we gotta hope he doesnt win so that he comes to da Zards

I'm serious lol I just started watching the NBA like 4 months ago so I don't really know much about other teams.

The short of it is that Thibs has kept Chicago prosperous despite losing a former league MVP. Randy Wittman is a career assistant with a winning percentage below .400. 

I know nobody wants to talk about this yet, but where exactly do we go from here?

We don't have a 1st round pick, Gortat and Ariza are FAs, and we are still stuck with Nene's burdensome body and contract. This team is the most classic EG team, topping out as a second round playoff team at best. 

We have to let Ariza go, he isn't a star player and we need Porter to get minutes to you know... actually give him a chance to develop. 

I love Gortat, but I sign him to a 3 year deal max (he is 30), and I really only want to do that if we can somehow dump Nene's contract on somebody.

Wall and Beal are clearly here for the long-run. Which is great, but a supporting cast of an old nene, along Ariza, and Gortat is simply not a good supporting cast for their potential.

I'll be extremely happy if we rolled out next year without ariza or Nene, and Gortat on a 3 year deal. Oh and a new coach!

My 2 cents for after the playoffs, until then let's keep riding this wave until it ends.