Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You've got to get something for Ariza though. It depends on what he costs this summer, but I don't think he'll be getting a huge payday. If he does then, yeah, you have to let him walk unfortunately. But if his pay is reasonable, then extending him buys us time to search for favorable deals.

Right now Otto can't replace what Ariza gives us, and right now we need Ariza to compete for a decent seed. Idon't think Otto has an NBA three ball yet, which right off the bat takes a way a huge job of the SF in our offense. And we also know that he's got to add strength to defend his position and it's going to take time for the game to slow down for him. The logjam has been sort of nice because we've weathered injuries to Ariza, Webster, and Porter each without issue and we've been able to bring Otto along slowly.

Great win, but lets chill on extending Ariza or GOrtat. Thats how we get back on the treadmill.

Both of you guys made excellent points.

I think we have to move Ariza because his stock will NEVER be higher than what it is right now. 

Gortat, if you let him walk, we'll have nothing to show for giving up that pick.  Honestly, I think Gortat will be back on a 3 year deal.  He's gonna get PAID, tho. 

Both of you guys made excellent points.

I think we have to move Ariza because his stock will NEVER be higher than what it is right now. 

Gortat, if you let him walk, we'll have nothing to show for giving up that pick.  Honestly, I think Gortat will be back on a 3 year deal.  He's gonna get PAID, tho. 

Gortat is a legit center still in his good years who wants to win and grow. He's a piece of the puzzle. 

I hate to say it guys but as long as Ariza is here we're only a coach and a backup PG away from contending. Like "for real" contending. As soon as he leaves town we go back to a mystery squad. That mystery might hold good things and it might not. I don't feel good mojo about Otto Porter. Not having Trevor's defense will leave a canyon in this roster. 

Damn you, Ernie Grunfeld. You put together a sweet team but the contracts are all wrong. Always a bridesmaid.

• Like 1

if we didnt have Nene, I would be all for giving Gortat that deal. Problem is Gortat isnt a great talent. he decent and does a nice job, but we have a chance to make a run at a big time player in 2016 and Id rather not have that space eaten up because of Gortat.

I want to be a championship team, not just a playoff team.

Edited by JoeWolf990

if we didnt have Nene, I would be all for giving Gortat that deal. Problem is Gortat isnt a great talent. he decent and does a nice job, but we have a chance to make a run at a big time player in 2016 and Id rather not have that space eaten up because of Gortat.

I want to be a championship team, not just a playoff team.

Nene doesn't want to play center and the team has no starting PF if you move Nene to C.

Nene doesn't want to play center and the team has no starting PF if you move Nene to C.

Gortat is the best C we're going to get unless we make a run at Greg Monroe this summer and no one beats us and Detroit doesn't match. That's a long shot. Gortat is our best realistic option by far.

We've got to extend him. We've got to have a Center. If we don't, we're going to be bad next season.

• Like 1

Ummm, see my avatar. /discussion

I'd bring him back next season but he doesn't need to be starting.

Vesely, Booker, and Seraphin aren't anything more than relatively low cost backups that will give you a 50/50 effort night to night. Each of them take something important off the table.

If EG and Wittman get extended, then I'd bring everyone back except Singleton and Maynor. Hopefully we could find a way to dump Maynor. I'd try for Greg Monroe, but I don't expect to get him. And I'm not crazy about him anyway. I don't think we have the money for any good and we traded our draft pick.

We can be about a 42 to 45 win team this year probably. So my goal would be to get like one or two better pieces for the bench. Hopefully a better defensive big and a better backup PG. Then look for internal growth from Wall and Beal and then hope to get close to 50 wins next season.

Smh at comments for 2016 offseason in 2014. This team right now has proven it can beat teams like miami and okc playing our game (defense and fast break / three point on-slaught). We had the same concerns regarding Ariza leaving this offseason that we did Webster leaving last offseason (both are still here).

We could give both Gortat and Ariza $5 million (like what Webster is getting) each that could go up after Nene's contract ends in two years, and we'd still be under the $58 million salary cap next year. We'd still have to decide what to do with Vesly, Seraphin, Booker, and Temple, but we're at $70 million right now. In theory this team should get better because so many important cogs are still young (and most importantly, showing improvement). We don't know what Wall and Beal's ceiling is, nor do we know if Booker will continue to improve on his jumper that's keeping him out the starting lineup or Seraphin's consistency.

All these smart franchises, only one is champion at the end of every season. Losing Ariza to fill another hole creates another hole. We're not that good nor have enough cap space apparently to be doing that. We may be in a situation that this is our band until Nene's $13 million finally comes off the books.

Edited by Renegade7

Smh at comments for 2016 offseason in 2014. This team right now has proven it can beat teams like miami and okc playing our game (defense and fast break / three point on-slaught). We had the same concerns regarding Ariza leaving this offseason that we did Webster leaving last offseason (both are still here).

We could give both Gortat and Ariza $5 million (like what Webster is getting) each that could go up after Nene's contract ends in two years, and we'd still be under the $58 million salary cap next year. We'd still have to decide what to do with Vesly, Seraphin, Booker, and Temple, but we're at $70 million right now. In theory this team should get better because so many important cogs are still young (and most importantly, showing improvement). We don't know what Wall and Beal's ceiling is, nor do we know if Booker will continue to improve on his jumper that's keeping him out the starting lineup or Seraphin's consistency.

All these smart franchises, only one is champion at the end of every season. Losing Ariza to fill another hole creates another hole. We're not that good nor have enough cap space apparently to be doing that. We may be in a situation that this is our band until Nene's $13 million finally comes off the books.

But you have to ask yourself: what is the upside of the current roster?

Wall and Beal will be stars, but could you imagine Durant with that duo? We would be favorites to win it all every year until Durant retired.

The Heat didn't cap themselves out with Wade and a buncha guys, they took risks and freed up cap for Lebron. They didn't settle for annual 4-5 seed and out team.

The roster as currently constructed will be a perennial playoff team, but will never do anything of note. Maybe a conference finals appearance or two, but probably not much else.

We are in a position to make a big move, if we're willing to be a bit more patient and do it right.

Wall and Beal will be stars, but could you imagine Durant with that duo? We would be favorites to win it all every year until Durant retired.

The Heat didn't cap themselves out with Wade and a buncha guys, they took risks and freed up cap for Lebron. They didn't settle for annual 4-5 seed and out team.

The roster as currently constructed will be a perennial playoff team, but will never do anything of note. Maybe a conference finals appearance or two, but probably not much else.

We are in a position to make a big move, if we're willing to be a bit more patient and do it right.

Um, thats given Durant would even want to leave OKC. And we already have $16 million wrapped up in 3 small forwards right now. He's also free agent the same year Nene's contract expires, so I don't understant your premise of blowing up this team in order to save it.

The upside of our backcourt and our defense is what we have to look forward to. We already have an 11th ranked defense, top ten in assists, and middle of the pack on rebounds. As Wall and Beal mature and we become top 10 in points per game, there are a lot of teams that aren't going to up for that (same way a lot of teams are having trouble with us when we're on right now). If anything we need to improve our physicallicty to go up against teams that tend to pwn us like Indiana and the timberwolves. But we just beat the best team in the west by 15 points.

Miami had $43 million in cap space the offseason the big three decided to sign there. That is their team, and yes it won them back-to-back rings, but there's a good chance that's going to be it now.

Edited by Renegade7

exactly the point I am making.

I know people want this franchise to be a playoff team, but the end goal shouldnt be playoffs. We need to aim higher. We need to think about winning a title. Giving Ariza and Gortat big contracts is not going to get us to that point.

• Like 1

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/kevin-durant-john-wall-john-my-brother

:) 

Kevin Durant on John Wall: 'John is like my brother'

"John is like my brother and I spent a lot of time with him this summer," Durant continued. "He worked his tail off and he's deserving of the All-Star nod. He's playing tremendous basketball right now. Just his overall game - his jump shot is getting better. Playmaking, he's being being more of a leader. You can see it just watching it on TV that he's grown."

Observing the live performance works as well.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Personally, I think it's a realistic possibility.

Don't know the percentage but it's not as far-fetched as many think.

They key thing is to be prepared just in case.

Under what circumstances, is it realistic?

1) It's always hard for teams to steal top stars, because they current teams can always offer more money and more years. So, you have to be in a Dwight Howard situation where leaving is worth losing money.

2) Most stars leave because they want to play with better players. OKC already has another superstar in Westbrook. It has another borderline all star in Orakpo. And it is has a front office that seems more than capable of getting decent talent in there.

3) He liked Seattle. He likes OKC. He doesn't seem to be the Carmelo type who needs to play in a certain kind of market to be happy.

Not really.

And here's the thing: All the NBA stars like each other. They all know each other. They all play together in the off-season. A ton of them played against and with each other in tournaments in high school. So, getting excited because Durant texts with John Wall is silly. I bet Durant's contact list looks the All-NBA teams.

Personally, I think it's a realistic possibility.

Don't know the percentage but it's not as far-fetched as many think.

They key thing is to be prepared just in case.

I think there are just two realistic outcomes--he stays in OKC or he comes to DC.

If I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say 80% chance he stays in OKC and 20% he comes to DC.

I would have said 95% to 5% just last year but Durant wasn't happy with OKC's last two offseasons. Letting Harden go for little return value and then letting Kevin Martin Walk for nothing didn't sit well with him. And then they also didn't really spend any money, just went really conservative and got younger.

Plus Westbrook having three knee surgeries in a year makes him a lot more questionable moving forward, when he seemed like a rock solid sidekick before.

And I wouldn't totally rule out Westbrook going to LA with Kevin Love.

That rough 20% isn't significant enough to bank on but it's also not nothing. You have to keep the flexibility open for that summer of 2016 to at least offer him a max contract. And really, is that going to be tough for us to do? It's far enough away that John is the only one under contract then. All we have to do is not blow our cap space.

And I don't think offering Gortat or Ariza deals this summer will eat our cap space up if we're smart about how we structure them. That's why I'd just keep this group together for now. Let them keep growing and then save our powder for that summer.

the big reason I could see Durant leaving is because Clay Bennett doesnt want to pay the luxury tax.

The big reason I dont see Durant coming to DC is because Ted Leonsis doesnt want to pay the luxury tax.

My real point isnt even about Durant, but about creating a title winning team. I do not believe resigning Marcin Gortat and Trevor Ariza takes us to that point unless Wall or Beal become 25+ ppg scorers who win games in the clutch against elite teams.

And I don't think offering Gortat or Ariza deals this summer will eat our cap space up if we're smart about how we structure them. That's why I'd just keep this group together for now. Let them keep growing and then save our powder for that summer.

I would love to re-sign both and still have enough room for Durant, but sadly, I don't know enough about the cap and their salaries to know if it would be a fit.

the big reason I could see Durant leaving is because Clay Bennett doesnt want to pay the luxury tax.

The big reason I dont see Durant coming to DC is because Ted Leonsis doesnt want to pay the luxury tax.

To be fair to Ted, he said that he doesn't want to pay the luxury tax for a team that isn't competing for a title.

Add Kevin to the mix and that changes.