Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

There are no options or early terminations in the Gortat deal, per source. Big keep for Washington, which fought off several suitors.

Wizards met in California today with free agent Trevor Ariza. Meeting went well but Ariza did not yet commit to returning to D.C.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think he deserves it, we haven't had a reliable player like him in years. Too many money pinchers on this forum. Are you that stingy in real life lol?

How often have you seen the posters on this forum wrong? Maybe only once in the last 6 years... And that was on gooden. We have been relatively spot on with this team.

• Like 3

How often have you seen the posters on this forum wrong? Maybe only once in the last 6 years... And that was on gooden. We have been relatively spot on with this team.

Yeah but I mean, if you're a Washington sports fan and you just assume that the obvious easy decisions will work out and whatever the teams do otherwise will be wrong you're right like 95% of the time..

Ted Leonsis in one day has lowered the roof on both the wizards and caps haha.  Unbelieveable

Beal will get his extension and the wizards will essentially be locked down with the same big 3 now, man all I ever wanted was flexibility smh

Edited by nfl guru

I am fine with the Gortat signing.  There is no better center out there.  I don't think he is worth that much, but contracts are so inflated nowadays I don't know what reasonable is anymore.

I don't care so much about the amount per year, he's a center and you have to pay a big man tax. I'm ****ing pissed at the 5 fully guaranteed years.

Edited by StillUnknown

The numbers make me nervous. But at the same time, he would have gone elsewhere if they didn't give him the contract. I believe that. If he left and they took a few steps back next season, any goodwill would have been gone.

If they get 3 really good years from him, I think they can live with 2 more overpaid ones if he's at least playing average then.

Ted Leonsis in one day has lowered the roof on both the wizards and caps haha.  Unbelieveable

Beal will get his extension and the wizards will essentially be locked down with the same big 3 now, man all I ever wanted was flexibility smh

Flexibility for what? KD is not coming here, neither is Lebron, Bosh, Wade, Melo etc. They did the right thing and people are still upset.

Flexibility for what? KD is not coming here, neither is Lebron, Bosh, Wade, Melo etc. They did the right thing and people are still upset.

Uhhh the PF/C free agent market that sets up the next 2 years.  Its not all bout KD and Lebron.

Whatever, casual fans will be happy.  In other news

Soon after Marcin Gortat re-signed for five years and $60 million with the Wizards, Trevor Ariza -- in a somewhat surprising move -- was on the phone with the front office to discuss details on what could turn into a deal late Tuesday, several people with knowledge of the situation told CSN Washington. 

Ariza, who made $7.7 million last season, watched the USA vs. Belgium game in the World Cup at a Ritz-Carlton hotel in Marina del Rey, Calif., near the offices of his agent Rob Pelinka, and then listened to the pitch from Wizards coach Randy Wittman and director of player development Ed Tapscott. 

Wittman had flown to Poland over the weekend with senior vice president Tommy Sheppard to secure Gortat and then traveled with Tapscott for Ariza.

The pitch to Ariza went something like this: Ariza has played for six teams and needs to find some place to call home; with John Wall as his point guard he had a career-best season; and Gortat's decision to stay signals they're committing to win long-term. 

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/wizards-could-lock-trevor-ariza-sooner-expected

Edited by nfl guru

What casual fans? This team has sucked for years and I've still watched. Gortat is one of the best big men this team has had in a long time. He's good character and doesn't embarrass the organization. You reward players like that.

Ted doesn't seem to participate in free agency, with either of his teams. He drafts and makes trades so people holding their breath for him to actually bring in big-name free agents are going to end up blue in the face.

3-4 years ago who predicted Harden and Howard in Houston? Oh right now everyone knows that Houston is where all the stars want to play. Taxes and all that. That's why Houston has been dominant for decades. Truth is you never know what team will suddenly make a deal and reshape its image.

Ted doesn't seem to participate in free agency, with either of his teams. He drafts and makes trades so people holding their breath for him to actually bring in big-name free agents are going to end up blue in the face.

Didn't the Caps take on 60 million in FA contracts this afternoon?

I'm with ya, just saying. Today is pretty much the one day we can't talk Ted about being cheap.

I'm with StillUnknown on this, it isn't the money that bothers me so much as the five fully committed year to a guy who is already 30.  The Paulsen tweet makes me feel a little bit better but it's a rare big that's still effective at that age.

I don't follow cap issues much in basketball, does this (coupled with any impending Ariza deal) pretty much kill any maneuverability we'd have?  I really hope Otto Porter is ready to show something.

I think we overpaid but I'd rather do that than have Gortat walk. Dude was absolutely the glue for our season last year. He brings a lot and I'm just happy the Wiz brass didn't screw this up too badly.

Oh and there's this.

gortat-rides-a-unicorn.jpg

I'm with StillUnknown on this, it isn't the money that bothers me so much as the five fully committed year to a guy who is already 30. The Paulsen tweet makes me feel a little bit better but it's a rare big that's still effective at that age.

I don't follow cap issues much in basketball, does this (coupled with any impending Ariza deal) pretty much kill any maneuverability we'd have? I really hope Otto Porter is ready to show something.

When Nene comes off the books, we will have some space. Most of it will go to Beals new contract. If we sign Ariza to a big long term deal, this is the team we are fielding for the next 4-5 seasons.

When Nene comes off the books, we will have some space. Most of it will go to Beals new contract. If we sign Ariza to a big long term deal, this is the team we are fielding for the next 4-5 seasons.

Not sure how I feel about that.  I mean, they gave us the best Wizards season in forever, I guess comparable to the Arenas team that made it past the 1st round, except this team won a few games once they got there.  So that's nice, and I enjoyed watching them, but I don't think I ever once watched them thinking they could dethrone Miami or any of the better Western teams.

3-4 years ago who predicted Harden and Howard in Houston? Oh right now everyone knows that Houston is where all the stars want to play. Taxes and all that. That's why Houston has been dominant for decades. Truth is you never know what team will suddenly make a deal and reshape its image.

Dominant ?

Cowboys, Rangers, Rockets, and Texans should get all the free agents...right ?