Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Kind of surprised that Porzingis would take the option and risk injury this season instead of going into FA now. Unless there are more teams with money next season. 🤷‍♂️

Probably not be as much money to get from other teams as there would have been from Tommy. 

10 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

How should success be defined in terms of playoff results and timeline for this new front office?

I don’t like timeline metrics because it assumes everything is equal all the time. You just don’t know where they’ll draft, who’s available, injuries, etc. nba is unique in that 1, 2, or 3 players can make a huge difference in results. Plus players move like crazy now, this past season we saw some serious trades that completely changed the dynamic of teams and expectations. You could be having a great season and suddenly the team you’re edging out for a good seed makes a move and is now the favorite in the whole conference. 

to me success is defined by good decisions. They will make mistakes and you can’t predict injury problems, but overall we should see good decisions more often than not. 

and good decisions shouldn’t almost exclusively live in the “climbed out of the hole we dug” like we’ve seen with past regimes where their best moves seemed to be cleaning up their own messes. 

if they’re making good decisions more often than not then it won’t be hard to be a competitive team. Personally - that’s all I ask for in my teams. Be competitive and have a chance year in year out, things will align eventually. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Similar to OKC rebuilding. In 2-3 years we should be able to see a promising direction with a couple of core all-star potential/caliber youngsters. 

OKC is an interesting comparison. They have a roster that is basically all under 25. SGA is an outstanding player, but do you see him being a top 10 NBA guy? I would love to have Giddey and Williams COULD be a guy that blows up. Holmgren is a huge question mark. It’s definitely an exciting team. But what kind of ceiling does that core have? I can’t see that group getting into the top 4 of the Western Conference.

If the Wizards can’t get into the top four of the Eastern Conference in, say, six seasons would that be a failure?

13 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

OKC is an interesting comparison. They have a roster that is basically all under 25. SGA is an outstanding player, but do you see him being a top 10 NBA guy? I would love to have Giddey and Williams COULD be a guy that blows up. Holmgren is a huge question mark. It’s definitely an exciting team. But what kind of ceiling does that core have? I can’t see that group getting into the top 4 of the Western Conference.

If the Wizards can’t get into the top four of the Eastern Conference in, say, six seasons would that be a failure?

The thing about OKC is they also have tons of cap space as well. SGA is at worst top-15 and is still only 24. He's top-10 potential over the next couple of years if he's not right now. 

• Like 1

I would like to see them keep Porzingis... he was their best player last season.  

A rebuild is going to suck to be a fan of... "Hey let's get Carlos Boozer's son in 4 years..."  But I guess it's better than the... "maybe this year the same team as last year with just a few changes is going to lead a deep playoff run."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

The thing about OKC is they also have tons of cap space as well. SGA is at worst top-15 and is still only 24. He's top-10 potential over the next couple of years if he's not right now. 

They do have a lot of cap space. But they’ll also have to use a lot of that to keep their young guys. SGA is awesome, no question. And I don’t like to get caught up in rankings (I know I brought it up), but what I was trying to say, is he a guy you build a championship team around? I don’t know. For example, Dallas has Luka. I think they could build a championship around that one guy. Like Toronto, Milwaukee, and Denver have done. Minnesota has Edwards. I don’t like what they’ve done by giving up so many draft picks, but I think it’s easier to build a contender around him than SGA. I could be wrong there.

There could be a changing of the guard out west in the next 2-3 as James, Curry, and Leonard sunset. Though there are teams like Phoenix and Denver who have staying power. Memphis (if the Morant situation gets resolved) is there.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

SGA made 1st team all nba this year.  He is arguably top 10 now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

They do have a lot of cap space. But they’ll also have to use a lot of that to keep their young guys. SGA is awesome, no question. And I don’t like to get caught up in rankings (I know I brought it up), but what I was trying to say, is he a guy you build a championship team around? I don’t know. For example, Dallas has Luka. I think they could build a championship around that one guy. Like Toronto, Milwaukee, and Denver have done. Minnesota has Edwards. I don’t like what they’ve done by giving up so many draft picks, but I think it’s easier to build a contender around him than SGA. I could be wrong there.

There could be a changing of the guard out west in the next 2-3 as James, Curry, and Leonard sunset. Though there are teams like Phoenix and Denver who have staying power. Memphis (if the Morant situation gets resolved) is there.

Yes, SGA is a guy you can build a championship contender around. 

I know Miami is the most talked about trade partner and a package around Herro, Jovic and #18 isn’t bad but I would rather they get a package from the Warriors around Poole, Kuminga, Moody and a pick or two. I really think Kuminga has star potential and is already an efficient offensive player. I also think Poole can turn around perception of himself in DC.

It is obvious something was rotten in GSW last year and, while it is always easy to blame the youngsters, it is not great organizational culture when 4 of the guys are close buddies with the coach and GM. I also think Draymond is to blame some. 

I also hope they can get any value for KP and Kuzma. I would also explore trading Deni. Dude has a year left on his deal and this team should not be the ones paying him $20M a year during a rebuild. I think they can get a first back for him.

Lastly, the Suns are interested in Monte Morris. Please trade him for a few seconds

Keep Taj Gibson and add a couple other vet minimum older guys to help steer the culture

Drafting well includes getting lucky.  All the prospects we have named as potentially going in the 8th slot.  One is likely to end up as a basketball star, 1 will be a solid rotation player and 2 will wash out.   If you consistently knew, you could run an NBA team.

Let's not get it twisted, some franchises are clearly better at "knowing" then others...my gut says we jus got a whole lot better at it.

BTW, I can't think of too many contracts more terrifying the Beals, Poole might be one of them. Hard pass...

Deni isn’t getting traded for a first round pick nor is any team paying him $20 mill per. 

If GS offered Kuminga and the 19th pick for the Wiz pick, I’d take it. 

I’d be surprised if Beal isn’t traded by/on draft night. In a hypothetical where all that happened and the Wiz got the 18th and 19th pick plus Herro and Kuminga, I’d be thrilled with that as a starting point to rebuild. 

a think a few sportstalk guys were saying yesterday, which I found to be incorrect yesterday.

Beal not only can dictate where he goes, but the return. Because he won't want to deplete a team he's going to. But, nobody mentions that the team could still decide they need a min in a return of they won't do it either. Then see if they can at the trade deadline. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd take lesser in return to get rid of his deal and consider that part of the return. Expiring contracts back would be fine too. If we have to have a bunch of overpaid bums for a season, that's fine.