Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

41 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Wtf you all talking about. Wall has been great tonight. Without him, this is a complete blowout. 

We're talking about closing games.  We've watched this team play three good quarters and then fall apart often this season.  Walls the focus because he took the most shots down the stretch.  We were talking about Beal struggling late a couple weeks ago.  

Wall played his butt off tonight and his defense was great.  Watching these guys try to close a game out is frustrating though.  

As far as Otto goes, Wall prefers Morris.  Not slightly either, but entirely.  I'm fairly certain that if you asked Wall who the third most important player on the team was, he'd say Morris.  Otto's the 4th option.  I wouldn't be surprised if Morris gets more shots than Otto gets touches in the final 5 minutes quarter when playing with Wall.  

A few things:

1. Wall is our best player, and maybe most clutch other than Morris. He should have the ball at the end.

2. We weren't talking about beal struggling late weeks ago. He has downright been the absolute worst in the league in clutch time all year. 

3. Otto didn't come in til the 5 min mark in the 4th. Questionable decision making there... 

4. Morris is the 3rd most important right now because we have no center. If we had some semblance of a 5 man, one that could guard the pick and roll or paint, the Morris wouldn't be as indesposable. But as of now, he is needed to cover for Marcin and whatever the hell Mahinmi is trying to do out there. 

10 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I wonder what the window for this team is?

And by no means is this game on him, but I know we gave Otto Porter a lot of money last offseason. Expect more.

We lost this game because of horrible defense and turnovers.

For a team that cant even get to 50 wins in a typically weak conference, I'm not sure they ever truly had a window.  

10 hours ago, Llevron said:

I'm saying. We played a bad game and lost by what 8? 

If you just looked at the box score, the difference were those 8 additional 3's Toronto hit. Otherwise, equal FGs, equal FTs, fairly close everywhere else.

6 hours ago, justice98 said:

For a team that cant even get to 50 wins in a typically weak conference, I'm not sure they ever truly had a window.  

Can someone please explain this affinity with 50 win seasons?  Is that like a 10 win season in NFL?  We had 49 win last year, lost Wall this year for at least 2 months, and only season we did win a ring we didn't break 50 wins, either.  I'm all ears, but I don't get it.

Edited by Renegade7

50 wins means you consistently won games. The Bullets are inconsistency personified. 

If we don't have a quality 5-man at the beginning of next season, then window is closed. Philadelphia is about to run this conference. 

Edited by Skin'emAlive

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

50 wins means you consistently won games. The Bullets are inconsistency personified. 

If we don't have a quality 5-man at the beginning of next season, then window is closed. Philadelphia is about to run this conference. 

Is it incompatible to bring up wild card teams in NFL winning championships?  I agree we'll never win without a quality center

50 wins year in and year out mean you are an elite team with a realistic chance of winning a title.

1977-78 is incomparable to today. When the Bullets won that title with only 44 wins, they were a consistent 50 win team for much of the decade. If I remember, they had s ton of injuries that year. They won 54 with the same team the next year, proving it wasn’t a fluke.

In game one against the Raptors the game was tied with 7 minutes and some change.  Wizards shot 25% the rest of the way and lost.  I feel like I've seen that ending too many times this season, so I looked up some stats.  I wanted to know if the stats match eye test.  They do.  Wizards can't close.  Here are some stats comparing the Wizards and Raptors based on the regular season:

Wizards 11th in overall FG%, but 24th in 4th quarter FG% 
Beal 46% from the field overall, but 37.6% in the 4th.
Wall 41.2% overall, but 36.1% in the 4th.

Raptors 7th in FG% overall. 8th in 4th quarter FG%.
DeRozen 45.6% overall, and 46.5% in the 4th.
Lowry shot 42.7% overall, and 42.5% in the 4th.

I haven't looked it up yet, but I'd bet the defense is also worse in the 4th.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Destino said:

In game one against the Raptors the game was tied with 7 minutes and some change.  Wizards shot 25% the rest of the way and lost.  I feel like I've seen that ending too many times this season, so I looked up some stats.  I wanted to know if the stats match eye test.  They do.  Wizards can't close.  Here are some stats comparing the Wizards and Raptors based on the regular season:

Wizards 11th in overall FG%, but 24th in 4th quarter FG% 
Beal 46% from the field overall, but 37.6% in the 4th.
Wall 41.2% overall, but 36.1% in the 4th.

Raptors 7th in FG% overall. 8th in 4th quarter FG%.
DeRozen 45.6% overall, and 46.5% in the 4th.
Lowry shot 42.7% overall, and 42.5% in the 4th.

I haven't looked it up yet, but I'd bet the defense is also worse in the 4th.  

I'm trying to understand why though. 

Multiple reasons that have been touched on already or Destino is about to put another page about on. 

One, our offense doesn't run the same way in late game situations, it's like we're panicking from a coaching standpoint, which is why even when Wall was out, we'd joke about Everybody Eats until we're scared we're going to lose, but its true.

Two, this isn't a well conditioned team.  We used that as one of the many excuses for what happened in game 7 against Boston last year, now we've totally run Beal into the ground and Wall has been hurt all year.

@Destino  I anticipate your next post to be more bad news, but any good news would be greatly appreciated right about now : )

Yea I get all that. But that doesn't explain why to me. No reason to be dog tired of we were going to for 8 seed any-damn-way. And no reason for us to STOP running what's already working for something that never ****ing has even in OKC. 

Like....why

Why is a good question, because they weren't doing this last season.  In the 2016-17 playoffs Wall and Beal shot a better fg% in the 4th. During the regular season Wall shot slightly better, and Beal about the same, in the 4th compared to their overall average.  So why are those two suddenly falling off a cliff in the 4th under the same coach and surrounded by the same teammates?  I have no idea.  

Wall and Beal's individual clutch #s are an outlier. The past few years they were pretty good in the clutch IIRC(except for FT shooting, they have both SUCKED in this area their entire career in the 4th quarter).

We need to run more offense through guys like Porter and even Morris. They actually shoot well in the clutch.

The poor defense is attributable to a bad front court that can't rim protect so if any of our guys gets beat off the dribble, its an easy 2.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Destino said:

I hope Wall means it when he says he just needs to focus on finishing.  He's gets in trouble trying to draw fouls on his way to the rim and he ends up turning it over or throwing up some garbage.  

That force a pass last minute ish is in his DNA at this point I dont think he will ever stop that.