Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Anyone know the spread on the game?  Wonder how much money Monty McCutchen lost on this one?

Wizards by 2. Over under 208. I know because I bet us plus the 2 lol. Good win. Now if we can get some road wins.

Edited by GOSKINS_08
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Let's get some road wins on this trip.  I want to win in New York and Detroit.  And a win in Charlotte would really help us stay in front in the standings.

Please on Charlotte. My wife's birthday and she's still gonna let us go to the game.

Don't get back home to the DMV nearly as much as I'd like, so I live for the few chances so see them here. Could be a pivotal game in this string of 5 of 6 on the road.

The number of offensive rebounds by the Grizzlies was ridiculous. 

Hats off to them the way they clamped down on us hard after halftime.  That third quarter was rough. 

And, of course, the ending of the game was bull**** on so many levels.  Gasol was on Beal like a coat plus Wall and Brooks were both screaming time out. 

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Let's get some road wins on this trip.  I want to win in New York and Detroit.  And a win in Charlotte would really help us stay in front in the standings.

This team has to stop the Jekyll and Hyde routine.  Right now they're winning 3 of every 4 home games (18-6), but on the road they're losing 3 of 4 road games (4-13).  It's normal for teams to be worse on the road, but that's ridiculous.  

31 minutes ago, Destino said:

This team has to stop the Jekyll and Hyde routine.  Right now they're winning 3 of every 4 home games (18-6), but on the road they're losing 3 of 4 road games (4-13).  It's normal for teams to be worse on the road, but that's ridiculous.  

It wasn't that long ago that we couldn't buy a win at home and were getting them all on the road. And I know the fan-base hasn't gotten their act together so who knows what the hell thats about. 

Man, I watched the entire 2nd half last night and that was soooooooo frustrating to watch!  I thought Scotty B was going to have a conniption fit when they called that jump ball.  NBA refs are bad.  So is our bench.

Also, Otto is going to be a max player.

Don't know if any of you all peeped some of the 76ers game last night, but Okafor racked up a DNP-CD. 

I'm not advocating making a move for him, but he's probably going turn out to be no better than Mo Speights. 

Also, Joel Embiid absolutely needs to be in the MVP discussion.  He's not going to come close to winning, but he's another guy (Wall, Harden, James, Westbrook) whose team goes as he goes. 

Otto is a strange player.  Defensively he has trouble staying in front of wings or keeping bigs from backing him down.  Offensively he can't really be relied on to dribble the ball at all.  But in team situations he fantastic.  He's always in position on defense to contest shots and uses his length well when helping or getting into passing lanes.  He rebounds very well.  He's fantastic without the ball both as a spot up shooter and cutter.  He finishes well in transition.

If he was the best player on a team he'd look nothing like a max contract player.  But on a good team his impact is enormous.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Otto is a strange player.  Defensively he has trouble staying in front of wings or keeping bigs from backing him down.  Offensively he can't really be relied on to dribble the ball at all.  But in team situations he fantastic.  He's always in position on defense to contest shots and uses his length well when helping or getting into passing lanes.  He rebounds very well.  He's fantastic without the ball both as a spot up shooter and cutter.  He finishes well in transition.

If he was the best player on a team he'd look nothing like a max contract player.  But on a good team his impact is enormous.  

I read something, and I can't remember where, that said one-on-one defense is slightly overrated.  You can truly gauge a player's value by how the fit in to the overall team defense.  The latter is something which Otto is great. 

It was funny reading some of the comments from Tony Allen after the game yesterday.  He pretty much said there was nothing in the scouting report about Otto.  His shooting caught them off guard.  How much of that I actually believe, I just don't know.  However, I doubt that the Grizz coaching staff thought it would be a good idea to leave a guy like otto, who has an INSANE slash-line, wide open all game. 

He's a max contract player for this team.  One of the best 3's in the East, IMO and should get some serious consideration for MIP. 

He's a clutch player too.  The amount of big rebounds he comes down with is pretty incredible.

He's turned himself into a catch and shoot sniper, and his growth as a shooter is similar to Kawhi Leonard's.

Otto couldn't do what Wall and Beal do.  He can't be a focal point because he simply doesn't have the strength or quickness or ball handling to create against a scheme that's keyed on him like they do.  But his benefit to those two is so tremendous that you can't assess their impact without recognizing his.  Wall and Beal need an outlet like Otto because their drives are most effective at pulling in his defender to help.

Wall--Beal--Porter is the perfect complimentary trio at the PG-SG-SF spots.  And Gortat is the ideal center to play with them IMO, because of his screen and roll game and ability to stay dialed in without getting shots.  One thing about Gortat's game that doesn't get mentioned a lot is how he gets invested in every possession.  He is goofy and fun loving but he absolutely matches Wall in intensity and focus and is frequently the most vocal player on the court.  Gortat is that rare 7 footer that plays the game with playground emotion and competitiveness.  You can tell he truly loves the game.

If we'd gotten Ryan Anderson this summer, we would run the perfect offense.  Only GS's offense would be better.  Defense wouldn't be good though.  And that's really what Oubre, Sato, Smith, and Mahinmi can bring to the equation.  We sacrifice offense with those guys to, hopefully, be more balanced.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

27 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Also, Joel Embiid absolutely needs to be in the MVP discussion.  He's not going to come close to winning, but he's another guy (Wall, Harden, James, Westbrook) whose team goes as he goes. 

I agree... but Westbrook is averaging a triple double.  I really can't imagine anyone else winning MVP if he finishes the season averaging a triple double.  I know that he's not the most efficient and whatever but he's actually averaging a triple double, and he's doing while leading the league in ppg. 

If the Thunder had a big man that could put us over the top I'd argue for trading Otto Porter at least in part because I think Westbrook desperately needs a player exactly like Otto Porter.