Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

And that's game.

Wall you had an open lane why are you passing? Effing attack the basket and get the 2.

Another game late we have a chance to win but blow. This team is a soft group of losers. Gonna get bounced in 5 or sweep in the first round. Absolutely no toughness or basketball IQ from the coach on down.

Wall 3-13 from the field. You're a franchise player, you can't be that pathetic of a scorer. I love the assists but you gotta be like Westbrook or CP3 late in games and attack the basket and score. He has waaaaay too many of these kinds of games, more than he has games where he shoots well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ted Leonsis is an awful owner. Imagine how bad this team would be if he wasn't handed John Wall...

I don't think he's awful. I think he's...meh. Awful would be like Dan Snyder bad. Leonsis is just mediocre. I was hoping he'd be a smart out of box thinker like a Marc Cuban type but the fact that he's stuck with losers for so long makes me think he's just another guy who lucked out during the .com boom and isn't really all that smart.

**** Ted. **** Ernie. But especially, **** Randy.

the unholy trinity

Tom Ziller

‏@teamziller

A reminder that the Wizards have had more patience with Randy Wittman, a career .388 coach, than they have with many prospects.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

The one concern I have about firing Wittman now is that we end up with a crappy interim (which, for the moment, isn't a problem, as it doesn't really matter if we go from bad to worse this year) who we end up extending. That's what concerns me: sticking with some interim rather than doing a proper coaching search that is more likely if it follows Wittman being fired at the end of the season rather than now. Wasn't a midseason firing how we ended up with Wittman in the first place?

The one concern I have about firing Wittman now is that we end up with a crappy interim (which, for the moment, isn't a problem, as it doesn't really matter if we go from bad to worse this year) who we end up extending. That's what concerns me: sticking with some interim rather than doing a proper coaching search that is more likely if it follows Wittman being fired at the end of the season rather than now. Wasn't a midseason firing how we ended up with Wittman in the first place?

Sam Cassell

Cassell is under contract with the Clippers, we can't hire him this season. The interim coach would almost certainly be Don Newman. I don't know how I'd feel about that. He was a long time assistant to Pop, so I'm wondering what he's doing coaching here as an assistant to Wittman... I think he'd be a far better coach than Wittman because most of the league would be far better than Wittman. But I want us to actually do a real coaching search this summer for a change, not some half-assed job like we did with Wittman.

the unholy trinity

Tom Ziller

‏@teamziller

A reminder that the Wizards have had more patience with Randy Wittman, a career .388 coach, than they have with many prospects.

Far more patience. Here's a list of all the moves to get prospects Ernie's made since picking Wall #1 in 2010:

- Traded Vladimir Veremeenko (2nd round pick from 2006) to Chicago for Kirk Hinrich and Kevin Seraphin (picked 17th overall).

- Drafted Lazar Hayward at 30 and Nemanja Bjelica at 35 then traded them to Minnesota for the draft rights of Trevor Booker (23rd overall) and Hamady N'diaye (56th overall).

- Midseason trade of Kirk Hinrich to Atlanta along with Hilton Armstrong for Mike Bibby, Jordan Crawford (27th overall pick), Maurice Evans, and ATL's 2011 first.

- Drafted Jan Vesely 6th overall with our pick

- Drafted Chris Singleton 18th overall with ATL's pick

- Drafted Shelvin Mack 34th overall

- Acquired Ronny Turiaf and Dallas's 2012 second and New York's 2013 second in exchange for being a cap go between and a protected second rounder that I don't think we ever had to surrender.

- Traded JaVale McGee, Nick Young, and Ronny Turiaf for Nene, New Orleans's 2015 second round pick, and Brian Cook at the 2012 deadline.

- Drafted Beal 3rd overall

- Drafted Satoransky 32nd overall

- Dealt Dallas's second rounder from the Turiaf trade and Rashard's huge expiring contract to New Orleans for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza. New Orleans selected Darius Miller with the pick (46th overall).

- Drafted Porter 3rd overall

- Drafted Nate Wolters 38th overall and traded his rights and the rights to Arsalan Kazemi (picked 54th with the Knicks second rounder from the Turiaf deal) for Glenn Rice (picked 35th overall)

- At the beginning of the '13/'14 season, traded Okafor's expiring contract and our 2014 first to Phoenix for Marcin Gortat. Phoenix selects Tyler Ennis 18th overall with the pick.

- Traded Vesely, Eric Maynor, a 2015 second round pick to Denver for Andre Miller and a protected 2014 first from Philly that we will apparently never see. The 2015 second rounder is the one we got from New Orleans in the Turiaf deal.

- Drafted Jordan Clarkson 46th overall and sold him to the Lakers for cash.

- Traded Andre Miller for Ramon Sessions

So to recap, Ernie's made a bunch of trades involving draft picks, our current net gain from them being:

1.) Marcin Gortat, who immediately hit UFA and cost us a 5 year 60 million dollar deal to keep

2.) Nene, an essential player, but one who is going to walk after next season so we can clear off his salary

3.) Kevin Seraphin, a back up C who is going to walk this summer because we can't afford to keep him

And he's made a bunch of draft picks and acquisitions of the draft rights to young prospects, with our current net gain being:

1.) Wall - our franchise player we've built everything around

2.) Beal - supposed to be Wall's future All Star running mate, but his development has been a little slow and it's making the fan base nervous in year three.

3.) Otto Porter - a third overall pick (in an admittedly awful draft class) whose slow development is definitely making the fan base nervous.

That's an amazingly small return from all those moves. Nothing from draft picks outside our three picks in the top three. And Gortat the only long term veteran to show for all of our trading. That's why our depth is questionable and our roster is aging and expensive. We've had to prop it up with FA deals and we've had to be very reactionary in paying to keep journeymen when they've worked out because we don't have any rookie scale deals that actually worked out. The back up PG situation has been a continual problem child since Wall was drafted. None of our young PFs and Cs that we drafted or acquired have turned into long term pieces so we're paying through the nose at those positions for guys who are good but not great. And our wing situation outside Beal has been mismanaged such that now we're relying on a 37 year old Paul Pierce and hoping Porter works out:

- Vesely and Singleton were drafted as SFs and turned into PFs and Cs after the fact, then quickly run out of the league.

- We got a big contract year from Webster, who then promptly got hurt and now we're trying to get out of his deal.

- We got a big contract year from Ariza, who we then had to let walk because we couldn't afford him.

And we drafted Porter third overall and have barely used him because our coach and GM haven't committed to developing him for some reason. The GM has put a bunch of vets in his way from day one and the coach hasn't had the foresight to realize the team really really needs this guy to work out. Wittman hasn't figured out that he should be playing him in a regular role. Not to mention he's dicked around with Porter at SG even though his handle isn't great and he doesn't have a reliable three ball.

Bad GMing and truly awful coaching are the bottom line for our failures in the Wall era. Wall would probably be thought of among the best players in the league if he'd gone to a better organization and both Beal and Porter would be so much farther along if they were being well coached.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

The Bucks won because the Bucks are the better team right now. That would have been crazy to says two months ago but the Wizards for the last two months have been one of the very worst teams in the nba. Whatever magic they had has escaped them completely and the team I see now is a team that should be picking in the top 5 of the draft.

I keep hoping for a miracle turn around but this season seems destined to end ugly. We'll make the playoffs, but that probably won't be a good thing as all signs point to a first round thrashing. The only question now is which of the too three teams in the east will do it?

Considering how nothing has gone our way, the basketball gods are sure to set us up with Cleveland.

• Like 1

I know a lot of you guys are hanging in there with this team but my POV is this- I've spent over 40 years watching them, cheering them, jeering them, and ultimately always being disappointed in them.

I don't have time for losing anymore. There simply comes a time when you have to cut the chord until they prove to be as good a team as you are a fan. I'm not even claiming I need a championship. I've just been waiting humbly for a team that makes noise in the playoffs for more than one season in a row. 40+ years. I'm tired. I'm cranky.

After they lost 5 in a row this season, I called an epic fail for the remainder. I was right. They have simply gone fishing. So, I'm going fishing. I'll be back when they win 5 in a row but I'm not investing any emotion (or precious time) into the Wizards right now.