Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Was Danny Smith Allowed To Keep A Job? The all things Danny Smith Thread(Merged & M.E.T.)

McD5

my guess would be b/c he posted it before last year was done..... comeon man.

Our kickoff returns have been pretty good in the past 5-6 years.

Our kickers have SUCKED! but I blame the front office for the lack of talent.

I dont remember our special teams costing us games ALA steelers where they cost them a lot of games.

I dont think you can blame Danny Smith for the front offices inability to find a competent kicker/return man since 2004. Honestly, his teams usually are pretty damn solid when it comes to not giving up big plays in the return game & that's huge. If his teams had Brandon Banks years ago some people here look at him differently. You're really going to put it all on Danny Smith that this team has been void of depth for years & has had guys like Randle El return punts ? I dont know,man, the last few years the only competent unit has been the kickoff/punt teams...

• 3 months later...

Sign in folks.

The case against Smith is obvious.

I don't have to tell anyone how bad it is to have six blocked kicks in a season.

Six blocked kicks.

In ONE season.

(Going back to the last quarter of last season, that's 8 in the last 19 games.)

The excuse I hear is that it's not his fault, his players have to make that play.

OK. I can buy that. Once.

Six blocked kicks. One season. This isn't an execution problem. This is a problem in that his players are getting BLOWN AWAY AGAIN and AGAIN.

When this happens as consistently as this, it is one of two things

It is either the coach failing to coach and teach his players properly, or...

it's a sign of the apocalypse because there's nothing else to compare to SIX BLOCKED KICKS in ONE SEASON.

His sloppy special teams consistently make stupid, idiotic, field position losing, and game-losing penalties. Over and over and over and over. The weeks in which they don't make a stupid moronic totally avoidable penalty can be counted on one hand.

the excuse I hear all the time is poor danny is always working with backups, poor players and rookies.

So when Mike Sellers was called for lining up offsides vs the Vikings on a punt, what was the excuse there? He was the first guy Joe Gibbs signed when he came back. Literally. He's no rookie. He's no crappy player, we've seen otherwise. But now he's a sloppy player who lines up offsides on a punt, and gives the Vikings a first down which keeps alive a drive that results in a touchdown in a game we lost by six.

Or today vs the Eagles when Lorenzo Alexander was called for blocking in the back, resulting in first and ten from our own six. (the same guy we had a thread up to send to the Pro Bowl.)

Actually that's not fair. I have no idea if it was Alexander's foul that got us to the six. There were two blocks in the back called on the play after all.

We get called for holding on FAIR CATCHES!!!!!

How the HELL is that even POSSIBLE? How STUPID must you be to HOLD on a fair catch? (CLue! Theyr'e not allowed to touch the returner! Let him go by!)

The only possible reason to hold on a fair catch is they got beat so BADLY that they had to hold even before the fair catch is called.

There is absolutely no excuse to hold on a fair catch, but we do it, and we do it again, and it's different people doing it.

This many penalties, year after year after year.. by both young players and vets who have been on these special teams for more than five years means ONE THING and ONE THING ONLY:

POOR COACHING

No discipline at ALL. NONE.

We like to kick the ball off out of bounds. Danny Smith has a kicker who can kick it out of the end zone, who has produced a touchback over 50% of the time... AND he has the NUMBER ONE kick coverage unit in the NFL.... and he insisted all year long on trying to get cute and kick for the corner, resulting in the Patriots getting the ball at the 40, the Jets getting the ball at the 40, the Cardinals getting the ball at the 40 (while we held a precarious lead).. six times Danny Smith insisted on ignoring his OWN unit's strength, and gave the opponent the ball at the 40.

the excuse i hear is that Gano should execute the kick properly.

Gano should never be told to do this. Ever. There is no need. None.

This year it looks like we'll be finishing around 27th in field goal %. (Today's stats aren't up yet, it looks like.)

Once again we have double digit missed field goals.

Of these, by my count Gano missed four of them on his own, one of which was in the first quarter of the first game.

In Smith's seven years here. we have finished DEAD LAST in the NFL in FG% 4 times.

His best year was 19th.

I like Gano. He can kick. But it's clear what the problem is by considering the fact that every kicker that Smith has coached has missed significant numbers of kicks.

Positives.

He does have the number one kickoff coverage unit in the NFL. (He refuses to recognize it by constantly trying his dumbass 'directional kicking')

we also don't kick off very often. Up until December's mini-scoring spate we were next to last in number of kickoffs.

Brandon Banks is number on in the NFl in kickoff return yards.

The catch, he's returned more kickoffs than anyone else. Ten more than the next closest guy, in fact. (And a bunch more today)

Sav Rocca had a great year. just like last year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before, and in Australia before that. So while this is good, giving Smith any credit for this would be like giving him credit for inventing chocolate because he bought a Snickers bar from the candy machine.

Dear Mike Shanahan,

If you want to improve your football team considerably, fire that liability of a special teams coach, namely one Danny "ChompChompChomp" Smith.

Signed,

we the undersigned.

~Bang

I've been on board for a while now. Where do I sign.

Most kickers don't have six kicks blocked in a career, let alone a season. If you take away the blocks, Gano is something like 34 of 39, with only one miss inside 49 yards.

Danny's also the genius behind having Gano directional kick when he can kick it clear through the end zone (just rehashing).

It's ridiculous that he's been here as long as he has. FGs and XPs should be automatic. It's a coin flip as to whether or not Gano is actually even going to be able to attempt the kick, which is unacceptable.

Blocked kicks haven't been an issue in the past for us, but without looking at each of them on an individual basis I can't say what went wrong with them. Not cosigning on this.

Last season and this one. Cost us a couple games in fact (Texans game, the blocked FG late in the 4th quarter, then at least one this year).

Right on, Bang! I think there was a reason Shanahan hired Richard Hightower as as assistant coach for special teams. My hope is that he gets the reigns in the off-season. Some coaches are survivors in spite of themselves. Danny Smith is one of them. If we let him go, our special teams unit can certainly get no worse or perform any more inconsistently than it has over the course of his tenure with the team. Time for show him the door.

Archived