Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Was Danny Smith Allowed To Keep A Job? The all things Danny Smith Thread(Merged & M.E.T.)

McD5

Bang pointed this out already, but the whole "we are good on coverage" is a joke.

Do you know what seperates the top 1/2 of the league from the bottom half of the league in this statistic?

3 yards.

So blocked kicks, poor player performance, inopportune penalties, high # of turnovers, low # of high yardage returns, ZERO touchdowns....

That's all OK because we save on average 3 yards of field position when we cover kicks?

The dude has had years to make an impact and we've seen nothing but failure. See ya.

We need a guy like Frank Beamer for Special Teams coach. I hate Va. Tech, but they have basically built a 10 win a year machine out of Defense and Special Teams. In tight games, Special Teams can make or break it open, and we ALWAYS seems to be on the "break" end of things (blocked FG, missed FG, botched play, penalties, etc...). With that in mind, I wouldn't mind seeing a change of direction for special teams. A real nasty SOB of a coach that won't take any ****, who is hard on discipline is what I'd like to see.

Dear Mike Shanahan,

If you want to improve your football team considerably, fire that liability of a special teams coach, namely one Danny "ChompChompChomp" Smith.

Signed,

we the undersigned.

~Bang

Dallsux signing in. Agree with your entire post. Time to go Danny Smith. WAAAAAAY overdo, IMHO.

Yep. I agree with you 100%. Blaming him for a kickers inability to kick it between the posts or the inability of the line to hold their block is foolish.

What about for every kicker he's had here missing double digit kicks and our FG% consistently being among the worst in the NFL?

Seriously, every kicker he gets.

What do you think he does all day?

People seem to think that nothing his players do are his fault, I'm just curious, when the mistakes happen with such regularity, what the reasoning is as to why?

When they happen to every player he brings in here to do this job, what is going on?

I think we agree that Gano can kick. I think he has a strong leg and the right mindset.. he's been strong all year. He had a couple hiccups, but overall he was good.

But six blocks, six kicks out of bounds.. I can't blame him for those things. I mean, I guess I can for not executing the directional kick, but like i've said ad nauseum, he should never be told to do it,, we can accomplish the exact same desired result by just kicking deep.

Gano, on his own, had a damn fine year. He hit 31 field goals,, 5th in the NFL.

But overall he's only 74%.. 28th in the NFL.

take away those 5 blocked FGs and he's suddenly 86%, which puts him in the top ten.

(Now, i am not usually one for the 'take away' argument to make my point, but IMO it is not unusual, nor is it beyond expectation to go an entire season with no blocked kicks.)

the blocks,, if the ball is low, OK, but the blocks are from guys barrelling thru the line and knocking our guys over backwards.. no one's kicking over that.

His own coach is hindering him.

~Bang

Typically, I would say let the Head Coach make the decision of who he wants on his staff.

Unfortunately, Danny has been with the Skins for quite some time, and during that time his Special Teams have been subpar year after year after year. We have yet to block a kick, take a kick return to the house, and often times our kick and punt coverage is pathetic and gives opponents a great field position.

it's about time we change, and make our special teams relevant. To make our team competitive we do need a solid Special Teams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please fire Danny Smith.

Signed!

What about for every kicker he's had here missing double digit kicks and our FG% consistently being among the worst in the NFL?

Seriously, every kicker he gets.

What do you think he does all day?

People seem to think that nothing his players do are his fault, I'm just curious, when the mistakes happen with such regularity, what the reasoning is as to why?

When they happen to every player he brings in here to do this job, what is going on?

I think we agree that Gano can kick. I think he has a strong leg and the right mindset.. he's been strong all year. He had a couple hiccups, but overall he was good.

But six blocks, six kicks out of bounds.. I can't blame him for those things. I mean, I guess I can for not executing the directional kick, but like i've said ad nauseum, he should never be told to do it,, we can accomplish the exact same desired result by just kicking deep.

Gano, on his own, had a damn fine year. He hit 31 field goals,, 5th in the NFL.

But overall he's only 74%.. 28th in the NFL.

take away those 5 blocked FGs and he's suddenly 86%, which puts him in the top ten.

(Now, i am not usually one for the 'take away' argument to make my point, but IMO it is not unusual, nor is it beyond expectation to go an entire season with no blocked kicks.)

the blocks,, if the ball is low, OK, but the blocks are from guys barrelling thru the line and knocking our guys over backwards.. no one's kicking over that.

His own coach is hindering him.

~Bang

But yet these same people want Kyle fired every time there is a sack, dropped pass or we "don't run enough" and it's all his fault......help me, I'm lost.....

But yet these same people want Kyle fired every time there is a sack, dropped pass or we "don't run enough" and it's all his fault......help me, I'm lost.....

Danny Smith has been in this role for ~7 seasons and we have not seen any improvement in his unit. He has an owner who is willing to write any check for any player the coaching staff wants, yet we still can't seem to find a kicker, punter, or return man with our best shot now ~7 years later. Our unit makes fundamental errors year after year with no progression, just the same old mediocrity.

When you can replace the words "Danny Smith" with "Kyle Shanahan" above (and kicker, punter, return man with respective positions), then it will be time for him to go too. Kyle has been here 2 years, and in that time we have seen a complete overhaul of our o-line with some promising young talent, a trio of effective young RB's, Fred Davis maturing into what we all hoped he would be, and more positives. Sure there are holes, sure we stink, but it's only been 2 years, and he inherited next to nothing.

Agree with that - totally off topic but how do we keep mishandling these injuries...year after year, player after player we seem to rush back, they come in for a game, out for 2, in for a game, out for a game...whats the deal??

I think this is an indication of how poorly we've addressed depth.

Because we spent so long spending so much on mis-fit free agents, we had little left in the pot to get any quality depth players. Plus the lack of draft choices we've generally had adds to this problem.

So we rush the starter back because even at half strength it's better than the alternative.

~Bang

Archived