Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Insider: T.J. Houshmandzadeh deciding between Raiders and Redskins - Signs With RAVENS

GenMgr

Yeah, not sure what was going on there. Receiver is considered by many to be the second hardest after QB, though it refers more to rookies going to the NFL rather than veteran WRs going to new teams.

I agree with you but he only needs a couple of practices to be effective in the RedZone.

Reading these posts, you would think this guy was Jerry Rice in his prime. This guy just got cut from a team that will have to cover his contract at $7 million this year. That speaks volumes to me on what they think of his skills that they would want to free up a spot that bad that they pay the guy $7 million to just leave and the fact that we are so hot to have him speaks volumes about our receivers.

Reading these posts, you would think this guy was Jerry Rice in his prime. This guy just got cut from a team that will have to cover his contract at $7 million this year. That speaks volumes to me on what they think of his skills that they would want to free up a spot that bad that they pay the guy $7 million to just leave and the fact that we are so hot to have him speaks volumes about our receivers.

True. True. But he's an upgrade that we really need this year. It makes DM5 better and gives Defenses a reason to respect the passing game more then without him.

I think he's pretty early in his contract though. Better to eat seven million now than however many during a year with a cap.

And us being so eager to have him says more about the fans here than the recievers on the roster.

Or you could look at it that sans Moss, he would immediately be the number 2 receiver on our team and provide a much needed tall threat.

I'll take any player that can increase our chances this year. It's not like we have a young stable of receivers we are building a franchise around. This team was assembled with a hope to compete now. It needs help.

This is exactly what we need a WR that can get open and make the tough catches, while getting hit...Currently we have no one on the roster that is/has proved/proven that they can do this in the NFL...TJ + Cooley + Davis can hold the underneath coverage to allow Moss, Galloway, Armstrong, or Thomas to get deep.....For those in opposition, NOBODY is looking for TJ to produce like a #1, we realize he isn't a burner(he never was) and we don't need him to be...What he is, is a PREMIER possession WR in the NFL, who is competitive, tough, durable, proven, and smart...

I think the combination of splitting Cooley\Davis out wide and the addition of a healthy Roydell Williams (a quality possension WR in his own right) will produce the same net production that signing TJ Housh would. Cooley/Davis and Roydell Williams can all run the underneath intermediate between the hash type of routes.

Then there's the other receivers like Armstrong and Devin Thomas who will need to play to reach there potential.

There are only so many passes in any given offense and Housh would eat into their growth by taking playing time, practice reps, game targets away from our developmental WRs.

Also if we sign Housh now wouldn't that mean that the FO/coaching staff have been negligent in aquiring talent?

Wouldn't it mean that the faith the coaching staff seems to have in our current WR corps is BS?

I don't know about the rest of you guys but i'm excited watch our passing offense and receiving corps develop this season...sans Housh.

I don't think anyone has over stated what he is. He is a solid WR, who is an upgrade over what we have.

It is irrelevant what Seattle did. They are in the process of over hauling the entire team. What matters is he is a good fit for our team, and for our scheme. We have speed guys, we need the possession receiver for first downs and the red zone.

I think the combination of splitting Cooley\Davis out wide and the addition of a healthy Roydell Williams (a quality possension WR in his own right) will produce the same net production that signing TJ Housh would. Cooley/Davis and Roydell Williams can all run the underneath intermediate between the hash type of routes.

Then there's the other receivers like Armstrong and Devin Thomas who will need to play to reach there potential.

There are only so many passes in any given offense and Housh would eat into their growth by taking playing time, practice reps, game targets away from our developmental WRs.

Also if we sign Housh now wouldn't that mean that the FO/coaching staff have been negligent in aquiring talent?

Wouldn't it mean that the faith the coaching staff seems to have in our current WR corps is BS?

I don't know about the rest of you guys but i'm excited watch our passing offense and receiving corps develop this season...sans Housh.

I don't understand this thinking. Roydell Williams has been out of the league for two seasons, and had only one decent year. TJ has been producing numbers for the last several seasons.

Also, I think people are over estimating in Anthony Armstrong. Don't forget that he is already 27. He is a great story, and I think he can be a solid # 3 or # 4 receiver, but don't get confused into thinking he is going to develop into Andre Johnson.

So you want to save on money when there is no cap but you want to waste ANOTHER draft pick?

Well... yea! Just because there's no cap doesn't mean we should overpay for washed up veterans.

Vincent Jackson > TJ Houshmandzadeh by far!

But lets assume that Jackson wasn't a viable option for the Redskins at this point... Why still would you pursue Housh with such vigor? I love TJ he's always been a favorite player of mine, but when I read that he was being cut by Seattle who's only legit WRs on the team are Deon (tree) Branch, Golden (Donut) Tate, and Mike (no... the other Mike) Williams.. I knew there was something up with this guy. I followed him close last year and he was nowhere to be found except for a few games. People cite his receptions and yards but they fail to realize that the bulk of that came in just a few games. If he comes for the vet minimum I'd say sign him, but I cannot sing the same song as so many who are suggesting that Allen should do anything to get this deal done. It's not worth that type of response. We should proceed with caution.

Im assuming the Raiders are in the mix because of the location, as well as him going back to the AFC (where he was most of his career)

T.J. is a much more explosive player than Galloway. I can't see why some posters can't see that. The guy brings excitement to this receiving corp. Anytime you have to rely on your TEs to be your #2 receiver, something is wrong. And yes, "he is an instant upgrade at WR here and I like Moss/TJ instead of Moss/Galloway"

Archived