Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Insider: T.J. Houshmandzadeh deciding between Raiders and Redskins - Signs With RAVENS

GenMgr

This HAS to get done. First of all I don't think people realize how bad our wide receivers are. Joey Galloway would probably start for about one or two other teams, Anthony Armstrong has never played in an NFL regular season game and Devin Thomas isn't someone you can rely on. Our WR corps is bottom five in the league and anyone who would dispute that is drinking some heavily spiked koolaid. Second of all, people need to get over the not signing vets b.s. If you can play, you can play. Handing out too much money to free agents and signing players that CAN'T play, regardless of age, has been our problem. There is not a single bit of evidence that Housh's skills have diminished beyond what we need him for, which is not 100 catches and 1500 yards. To say you don't want to sign a player that has ability and can contribute just because he's old is blindingly dumb, no offense. It's funny that the people saying let's see what Armstrong and Austin (if he plays this year) are the ones who should want Houshmanzadeh here the most, because he will only help your boys out.

Yes!!:beavisnbutthead: I'm a believer brother!!

Well I don't think his decision is solely based on the talent of the team he's going to.

If the Redskins go to him and say 'we'll pay you the vet minimum this year and see how things go' (why pay him more if he's getting 7 million either way....with the 'Hawks making up the difference) and the Raiders come at him with a serious 4-5 year contract with some guaranteed money in it (we are talking AL Davis here, the man who took Darrius Heyward-Bey with the #7 overall pick), then I wouldn't be shocked to see him sign with the Raiders.

Per: Pft

After getting cut by the Seahawks and spurned by the Vikings and Bengals, free agent wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh is now looking at the Raiders and Redskins.

Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times reports that Houshmandzadeh has not returned messages since being released, but a source who had spoken to Houshmandzadeh said he appears to be narrowing down his destinations to either Oakland or Washington.

The 32-year-old Houshmandzadeh led the Seahawks in catches last year and has more than 900 receiving yards in each of the last five seasons.

O'Neill writes that Houshmandzadeh is likely to sign for the veteran minimum salary in 2010.

For those who believe Housh is too old at 32, you must also believe Santana Moss should be cut because he is clearly over the hill at 31.

Housh is six years younger and better than Galloway who is 38. Armstrong has never played an NFL game; Thomas is so inconsistent that TWO coaching staffs can't figure out whether to play him or cut him; Williams hasn't played in the NFL for two years; and Banks has never played in the NFL and clearly has difficulty holding onto the ball.

There is no money issue because the Seahawks have to pay the difference in what we would pay Housh and what his contract was in Seattle.

Housh caught 79 balls for 911 yards for an awful Seahawks offense.

Exactly where is the downside to signing Houshmandzadeh?

I certainly would be happy with 79 catches for 911 yards from my #2 receiver, wouldn't you?

For those who believe Housh is too old at 32, you must also believe Santana Moss should be cut because he is clearly over the hill at 31.

Housh is six years younger and better than Galloway who is 38. Armstrong has never played an NFL game; Thomas is so inconsistent that TWO coaching staffs can't figure out whether to play him or cut him; Williams hasn't played in the NFL for two years; and Banks has never played in the NFL and clearly has difficulty holding onto the ball.

There is no money issue because the Seahawks have to pay the difference in what we would pay Housh and what his contract was in Seattle.

Housh caught 79 balls for 911 yards for an awful Seahawks offense.

Exactly where is the downside to signing Houshmandzadeh?

I certainly would be happy with 79 catches for 911 yards from my #2 receiver, wouldn't you?

Thank you for bringing the sanity man!

I say pass-

I view Housh as an over the middle type possension receiver and our combo of Cooley/Davis and Roydell Williams will be able to run the same routes and have the same type of production that Housh would.

I think Housh's skillset would not only be redundant but he would take valueable reps/targets playing time from other players (Anthony Armstrong, Devin Thomas) we should be developing long term.

Also if we sign Housh wouldn't that mean that the coaching staff's faith in our current WRs is all false bravado and bluster?

Archived