Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

On the subject of Dempsey, one thing that was repeatedly amusing the living piss out of me was the amount of ill-informed folks in the recent thread on US soccer coming out with the tired old mantra about American players not being of any great standard.

In the English Premier League alone, widely revered as one of the top Leagues in Europe (although I personally think it's over hyped to a standard it isn't, but that's another story); Americans have played a big part over the last decade or so. And two of them, the aforementioned Dempsey and Brad Friedel, have consistently been amongst the leagues best in their respective positions for the last few years in Dempsey's case, and the last decade and longer in Brad's case. Europe is littered with some real tidy US players .

This myth that's still perpetuated from many Americans that their guys can't hold their own in the sport is quite simply that, a myth.

But we did all that to death in that thread, so back on topic and your normal ES Soccer thread .....

Hail.

John Terry cleared of all charges.

Shock ******* horror. Lucky him he's not a dirty South American from Uruguay huh? The double standards in England are that sick (NOT in a good way) it's not even funny. Disgusting, and I'll leave that at that.

And the ongoing, prejudiced campaign against Glasgow Rangers is WAY past being funny now. The Scottish Third Division! The ****** Scottish THIRD Division! Are you ******* kidding me! May the majority of Scottish clubs wither and die for the continued, WAY over the top sanctions against the hand that feeds.

Disgraceful day in British football.

Hail.

John Terry cleared of all charges.

Shock ******* horror. Lucky him he's not a dirty South American from Uruguay huh? The double standards in England are that sick (NOT in a good way) it's not even funny. Disgusting, and I'll leave that at that.

And the ongoing, prejudiced campaign against Glasgow Rangers is WAY past being funny now. The Scottish Third Division! The ****** Scottish THIRD Division! Are you ******* kidding me! May the majority of Scottish clubs wither and die for the continued, WAY over the top sanctions against the hand that feeds.

Disgraceful day in British football.

Hail.

Interesting that Terry got out of it. The frenzy over these stories is a bit puzzling to me. Just don't see the same type of coverage here in the States.

As far as Rangers, I'm torn. I think clubs should be held accountable but they got hit really hard. Don't know the right answer. What sanctions do you think they should've gotten GHH?

I'll answer that a little later as I'm literally off to run some errands OB, but a quick answer would be to put the new company into the Scottish First Division and potentially have them spend just a year out of the top flight. That would be the most logical for the long term benefit of football in Scotland which depends almost exclusively on the two Glasgow clubs. This could be the final nail in a lot of Scottish clubs coffins. Not least those currently sitting smug in the SPL.

Hail.

*Edit, now I'm back.* Certain clubs and more so administrators are continuing to punish a Scottish institution and the community it serves WAY above and beyond. All for the misdoings of two despicable, lying men that are no longer at the great club they've torn apart. All under the pretence of archaic rules and the 'sporting integrity of the game.' Where does it stop? Three years with no European football. Still the threat of a transfer embargo hanging over a club who's gutless players are jumping ship to such an extent McCoist will be stepping off the bench out of retirement next year at this rate. And now making them start afresh from the bottom tier of Scottish football. No question sanctions needed to come down on Rangers, but this continued campaign by a certain few has gone above and far beyond that.

But then the chances are this will ultimately bite those very same men reveling in this on the ass HARD! Karma's gona' be a biatch.

Where the SPL goes from here I don't know. With no Glasgow Rangers, outside interest in terms of sponsorship, International TV sales et all is virtually zero. And it wasn't that high in relation to their English counterparts to start with when both Glasgow clubs were still there playing each other. Scottish football IS Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic. They single handedly keep the vast majority of the other clubs afloat with the money they generate on and off the park. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

And it's not beyond probability that when Rangers do return, IF certain clubs are still in existence and haven't folded; the Rangers fans will boycott those grounds en mass and hit them hard in the pocket.

That's IF the SPL and it's clubs are still surviving for the duration without the hand that feeds. Glasgow Rangers will still be getting ridiculously high gates even in Division Three. Their an institution in the West of Scotland for many. That won't change whatever the gutless decision makers throw their way.

But without them, MANY clubs face a perilous future. As does Scottish football as a whole.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I'll answer that a little later as I'm literally off to run some errands OB, but a quick answer would be to put the new company into the Scottish First Division and potentially have them spend just a year out of the top flight... .

They painted themselves into a corner when they erased Rangers from the books. A brand new club HAS to start at the bottom and win its way up. That's how it works. They should have found another way to sanction Rangers without disbanding them completely. Relegation, hard spending limit, no Europe.... Anything but what they did.

Aside from DCU getting the run around, why wouldn't anyone want a soccer specific stadium like the one in Houston? Modern, two tiered. Right on top of the field the way a soccer stadium should be. Nice big video board at one end, boxes for corporate revenue all down one side. What's not to like? What would be better? A similar, 20-25 K capacity stadium, with a chance of being filed game on game. Or a half to two thirds empty RFK most every game?

I know which one I'd rather watch/ play in. And it's not the Redskins spiritual home. And the extra revenue a new venue would generate would boost DCU immeasurably. I don't see peoples problem here. Just don't get it done before I finally get to visit RFK! :pfft:

As for this game, I hope I wake tomorrow to find there's been a preverbal game of two halves. Though on the basis of the last 20 minutes of the first half I caught, I'm not holding out too much hope on that. :(

Hail.

*Edit* Oh yeah, the two guys doing the commentary are terrible.

Aside from DCU getting the run around, why wouldn't anyone want a soccer specific stadium like the one in Houston? Modern, two tiered. Right onto of the field the way a soccer stadium should be. Nice big video board at one end, boxes for corporate revenue all down one side. What's not to like? What would be better? A similar, 20-25 K capacity stadium, with a chance of being filed game on game. Or a half to two thirds empty RFK most every game?

I know which one I'd rather watch/ play in. And it's not the Redskins spiritual home. And the extra revenue a new venue would generate would boost DCU immeasurably. I don't see peoples problem here. Just don't get it done before I finally get to visit RFK! :pfft:

As for this game, I hope I wake tomorrow to find there's been a preverbal game of two halves. Though on the basis of the last 20 minutes of the first half I caught, I'm not holding out two much hope on that. :(

Hail.

Yea they never win in Houston or Colorado :(

Would love to see a 2nd half turnaround like the one a few weeks ago in NY (with more goals, of course) but I'm not so optimistic. DeRo is looking really off tonight, and the defense just keeps letting guys sneak in behind them completely unmarked.

Darn. Ended up 4 huh? Houston should be scrubbed off the fixture list every year. Or just given the win in advance to save wasted time and effort. (Nice stadium though ..... that's the best I got, shrugs.).

Been a rough couple of weeks for you guys huh? But as you say, 'come out swinging' next Saturday and put another (hopefully LONG) unbeaten, winning run together.

Nothing was ever won in July.

Hail.

Darn. Ended up 4 huh? Houston should be scrubbed off the fixture list every year. Or just given the win in advance to save wasted time and effort. (Nice stadium though ..... that's the best I got, shrugs.).

Been a rough couple of weeks for you guys huh? But as you say, 'come out swinging' next Saturday and put another (hopefully LONG) unbeaten, winning run together.

Nothing was ever won in July.

Hail.

Awful game all around last night. Sometimes you just have to say **** it and move on. This is one of those times.

---------- Post added July-16th-2012 at 11:59 AM ----------

Local team Seattle Sounders FC looking to capture 4th straight US Open Cup

Bandwagon on

You sound like an idiot. But have fun rooting for Fredy Montero and god's gift to football.

Awful game all around last night. Sometimes you just have to say **** it and move on. This is one of those times.

---------- Post added July-16th-2012 at 11:59 AM ----------

You sound like an idiot. But have fun rooting for Fredy Montero and god's gift to football.

I will give Seattle one thing they got a heck of a following. It says a lot that they can fill half or even more CenturyLink every game(67,000). Of course you never know how DCU would do attendance wise if we played in stadium that was built only 10 years ago and was well maintained. Though honestly a 25K-30K stadium would be much better for DCU than a setup like Seattle.

Seattle has always had a strong showing for Sounders FC

Popular team here

Saw a lot of the jerseys around here when I went downtown

Uh trust me people didnt care before they went mls. It use to be a couple thousand in centurylink or that old stadium they use fot the US open cup. Richmond played them in the championship the last season before they went mls. There was like 3000 ppl in centurylink.

For anyone Stateside interested or who may be attending, Liverpool departed for their 2 week tour of North America today with the following 34 players in the party:

Goalkeepers: 3. (Number 1 and 2, Reina and Doni left behind.).

Peter Gulacsi

Brad Jones

Danny Ward

Defenders: 13.

Daniel Agger

Jamie Carragher

Jose Enrique

Jon Flanagan

Glen Johnson

Martin Kelly

Ryan McLaughlin

Jack Robinson

Stephen Sama

Martin Skrtel

Brad Smith

Danny Wilson

Andre Wisdom

Midfielders: 12.

Charlie Adam

Alberto Aquilani

Joe Cole

Stewart Downing

Steven Gerrard

Jordan Henderson

Jordan Ibe

Lucas Leiva

Jonjo Shelvey

Jay Spearing

Raheem Sterling

Suso

Strikers: 6.

Krisztian Adorjan

Fabio Borini

Andy Carroll

Nathan Eccleston

Adam Morgan

Daniel Pacheco

More than a little surprised all the Euro 2012 players are involved at this early stage, but I guess it gives Rodgers even more scope for evaluation of just what he's inherited and what he needs to change within the group going forward. With the exception of Coates, Bellamy and Suarez, who are on Olympic duty, that's a pretty good mix of first team regulars, squad players and youth. Some of whom who are really highly regarded by the staff like Pacheco, Robinson, Sterling and Suso need to start making the step up this year to first team level on a consistent basis.

The scheduled games are against Toronto FC in Canada next Saturday afternoon (July 21. 4:00PM EST. Rogers Center); AS Roma at Fenway Park in Boston on Wednesday, July 25 ( 6:30PM EST); and Tottenham Hotspur in Baltimore at M&T Bank on Saturday, July 28. ( 3 PM EST.).

Enjoy, and don't expect too much more than glorified kick-about's. But at least the majority 'names' are in the party.

Hail.

Seattle has always had a strong showing for Sounders FC

Popular team here

Saw a lot of the jerseys around here when I went downtown

LOL shows what you know. Youtube some videos of them in their USL days. By the way you sound like a complete douche all of the sudden rooting for a MLS team when you had one here in DC. By that logic you're no better than bandwagon Cowboy, Yankee, and Laker fans.

GHH, thanks for posting the roster. I'll be at the game in Baltimore against the Spurs, really looking forward to it.

I hope they come to a quick resolution about Carroll. Loan him out somewhere for a year (Stoke or West Ham) and pay Fulham what they want for Dempsey.

USL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Sounders_FC

Seattle Sounders FC, the league's 15th team, began play in the 2009 season. All 22,000 season ticket packages offered by the club for its inaugural season were sold,[28] giving them the most season ticket holders in MLS.[29] The club played its first home match on March 19, 2009 in front of a sold-out crowd of 32,523, defeating the New York Red Bulls 3–0.[30] During the pre-match ceremonies, the first Golden Scarf was awarded to MLS Commissioner Don Garber.[31] Seattle was the first MLS expansion team to win its first three matches, and they did so with a shutout in each.[32] The club set a state record for attendance at a soccer match on August 5, 2009, when 66,848 attended a friendly match with FC Barcelona,[33] a record which was later broken when they hosted Manchester United in front of 67,052 fans.[34]