Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

We're getting to RFK around 4 if you guys want to join!

Hey sorry for not getting back to you. I was going to come but some of her family from Honduras was visiting and it was her mom's birthday on Sunday (but they were having a celebration on Saturday) so I felt obligated to go. We wound up watching the game at her house. Glad they found a way to win this one

EDIT: and i'm still pissed about the way that Honduras game went down

Edited by Skinz4Life12

Couldn't agree more.

Neymar is a *female private part* and he's got no class.

Worst thing is he and every other Brazilian player get taken care of by the refs who want to get their picture taken with them after the game.

They can foul anyone they want but they can't be marked.

I remember the Libertadores final last year he injured the sideback Alejandro Gonzalez who was marking him well with an absolutely brutal foul that deserved a red, he only got a yellow, the other team had to bring in a sub who wasn't as good and he of course scores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ujBWrjtqQo

One of the few players I truly hate.

**** that dude.

Is that the video of the "brutal" foul? MIstimed? Sure. Dirty? Maybe a chance of that. Brutal? Heck no. He didn't even go into a slide and he was in full control. The other guy's momentum hurt him as much as Neymar did. Also, don't be so one sided as to believe that that defender wasn't giving it to him all game. I've played striker most of my life and we take so much abuse when the ref is looking the other way, so we wait for in-game opportunities to give it back.

Kind of ironic for a Uruguayan to be slamming Neymar when Uruguay over the years have had some absolute animals on the pitch. Hell, their '86 WC squad was basically 3 'keepers, Francescoli, and 18 all out thugs. Me thinks there's some internal South American bias at play in the Brazilian hatred there.

But I really wanted to stop by to see if anyone else caught Ronaldo's comments over the weekend after Madrid's latest tour game. He was basically praising how far the MLS has come, and saying he wants to finish his career in America. Which must just make you all giddy in excitement huh giving the out pouring of love he receives on here. :silly:

Hail.

Kind of ironic for a Uruguayan to be slamming Neymar when Uruguay over the years have had some absolute animals on the pitch. Hell, their '86 WC squad was basically 3 'keepers, Francescoli, and 18 all out thugs. Me thinks there's some internal South American bias at play in the Brazilian hatred there.

But I really wanted to stop by to see if anyone else caught Ronaldo's comments over the weekend after Madrid's latest tour game. He was basically praising how far the MLS has come, and saying he wants to finish his career in America. Which must just make you all giddy in excitement huh giving the out pouring of love he receives on here. :silly:

Hail.

Did you get a chance to watch Honduras/Brazil?

The GB loss to SK was excruciating as welel

Did you get a chance to watch Honduras/Brazil?

The GB loss to SK was excruciating as welel

I'm not condoning him or Brazil man. Just questioning both the motives behind and irony in a Uruguayan castigating him for foul play and diving.

The GB loss to SK was brilliant. Instant Karma for the disgraceful abuse of Suarez right through these games from the morons in the stands. Aside from the fact I never could stand Pearce as a player. So seeing him fall flat on his ass as a manager works perfectly for me. :D

Hail.

GHH, i'm genuinely curious if you saw the game and i'm not questioning your comments about Neymar.

I wanted to know your thoughts on the two yellow cards that put Honduras a man down? Also, what did you think about the PK that was awarded to Brazil minutes after Honduras went up 2-1

Edited by Skinz4Life12

Sadly Skinz, I didn't. I had made a note to watch it, but I was out late afternoon Saturday and consequently missed it. So I'm probably not the best man to ask as all I've seen is brief highlights, which are no better or longer after I've just searched on the BBC iplayer to look again for you.

From those highlights, I got:

On the first sending off, they only showed the second booking. He defo catches Neymar, although he's clearly looking for the foul. Soft card, but under the letter of the law it had to be given. Again, they never showed the first.

The penalty looks a penalty, but I've not seen any replay's, only a live action clip from behind both guys from the opposite side of the pitch. So I can't say on that one for certain.

And the last sending off (again, only the second yellow shown), although the Brazilian guy went down pretty easily, the Honduran definitely catches him. And at International level, in today's game, that's going to be a booking the majority of the time.

Outside of that, two great Honduran goals, a great Brazilian winner (if some very naive defending); and shocking defending on the first Brazilian equalizer between the 3 Honduran guys being totally indecisive on the line.

From what I've read, the German referee pretty much ruined the flow of the game by being totally persnickety and pedantic over the least littlest thing.

Bare in mind the above is only off brief highlights, with one shot of each mentioned incident. Sorry man, I wish I could give a more informed opinion.

And doubly sorry if the officiating did in fact cost your guys an upset win.

---------- Post added August-6th-2012 at 01:22 PM ----------

We lost to Japan 2-1 with 68% ball possession 24 shots on goal to 4 and a missed penalty kick. :doh:

Just the man FF.

You guys are asses for questioning the British cycling success. You bitter, bitter French people.

*Nottin' personal man. Just saying. :pfft:

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

The third sending off was legit. Oscar(?) was off to the races, sure he had defenders between him and goal and he's at midfield (so why the heck would you foul him in the first place??) but still it was a tactical foul to stop a counter had to be a yellow.

The third sending off was legit. Oscar(?) was off to the races, sure he had defenders between him and goal and he's at midfield (so why the heck would you foul him in the first place??) but still it was a tactical foul to stop a counter had to be a yellow.

There where three sending offs?

Huh, the darn BBC highlights only showed the first and last.

---------- Post added August-6th-2012 at 01:29 PM ----------

damn i wish you could have seen the game. i was pretty irate at the officiating. 11 freaking yellow cards? he booked the same honduran twice within 2 minutes instead of just having a word with him. pretty much handed brazil the game

Yeah, I kinda' got that impression from a report I read from a pretty decent journalist. He was saying the German ref. was whistle happy, and showed little commonsense and just went to the letter of the law. Totally ruined any chance the game had to flow with all the stop-starts for the free kicks.

Sorry it cost you the upset man. Not that it's much consolation, but it sounds like your guys did you real proud regardless.

Hail.

There where three sending offs?

Huh, the darn BBC highlights only showed the first and last.

---------- Post added August-6th-2012 at 01:29 PM ----------

Yeah, I kinda' got that impression from a report I read from a pretty decent journalist. He was saying the German ref. was whistle happy, and showed little commonsense and just went to the letter of the law. Totally ruined any chance the game had to flow with all the stop-starts for the free kicks.

Sorry it cost you the upset man. Not that it's much consolation, but it sounds like your guys did you real proud regardless.

Hail.

Sorry I was typing so I couldn't use my fingers. Only two, the Hondurans were reduced to 9 men.

Just the man FF.

You guys are asses for questioning the British cycling success. You bitter, bitter French people.

*Nottin' personal man. Just saying. :pfft:

Hail.

I never ever cared about cycling they are all on roids, Aicar, peds, and whatever. ;)

What french journalists are pissed about is the cheating from Great Britain vs us in indoor cycling when they simulated a fall to get a restart, same thing in rowing too. Quite a shocker, since you're reputation in France is fairplay and sportsmanship.

Last time I heard, and as I said previously I don't care about cycling, there was something going on with the rear wheel of the british bikes from Mavic. Can't give you much details about it.

Edited by FrFan

Kind of ironic for a Uruguayan to be slamming Neymar when Uruguay over the years have had some absolute animals on the pitch.

B.S. Everybody has "animals" including Brasil. Ask Tab Ramos.

Harder to appreciate good defense than good offense for the common fan.

What bugs me is seeing good teams like Brasil being given the benefit of the doubt when they CAN'T defend with tact b/c believe it or not defending IS a skill, an art form even, and no less part of the game. I'm not just talking "parking the bus" and putting 10 guys in the box, ala England in this past Eurocup either, I mean man marking, shadowing, stealing the ball.

Of course, nobody cares, defense = bad, offense = good. No point trying to convince the masses who delight over Neymar's *** hairstyle or the color of Ronaldo's thong.

A Brasilian foul is necessary, a lesser team's foul is sinister....same foul, different jersey. Defense is subjective and goals are objective...is the ball in the back of the net? End of story, simple.

Yeah, Uruguay has to resort to more defensive play more often than not but we're the population of Connecticut, Sao Paolo alone has three times more people than the entire country.

Being eternal underdogs gives you a chip on your shoulder, no matter how many world championships. (4)

Uruguay has 4 World Championships? Have I slept through some?

My mind immediately goes back to the Uruguayan squad in Mexico in 1986. 18 thugs, Francescoli, and 3 keepers. By far and away the dirtiest WC finals team I've ever seen. Which when you throw in the Italians, Argentinians, naive Cameroonians in '90 et all over the years; is quite some accomplishment. Uruguay has, over the years, like Argentina, and Chile, had some of South Americas best and worst defenders in the same player. It's old school, 'non shall pass' defending. Which can be as cynical as any Italian can only dream about. And has often stretched legality to it's limits and then some.

The Hell it's 'B/S' to say Uruguay has had some absolute animals on the pitch over the years. Along with Argentina, you've been among the Continents worst.

No question there's been some all time great defenders come from both sides of the River Plate. But almost all to a man have that cynical, ugly side that isn't afraid to rear it's ugly head and do what is necessary to get the job done. By legal means or not.

Hail.

Uruguay has 4 World Championships? Have I slept through some?

You weren't even born, I wasn't either.

The two Olympic tournaments in 1924 and 1928 that were direct precursors to WC. (In Uruguay it's inarguable so please, contradict all you want)

World Cups 1930 and 1950. (Beat Brazil in Brazil in the "final", our landing on the moon moment)

Half star for the 1980 Super Cup too?

Fair enough, you're right it's that old school mentality that defines us but Brasil dishes out just as bad and b/c they smile and samba and the refs hang their posters in their rooms they look the other way ALWAYS. Two pks to get one or none, three "yellows" to get one....as if they need any more of an advantage. It's just the way it is.

"Non-shall pass" defense, "animals", "continent's worst" seems like you've got your opinion well formed, no point bickering, I fundamentally disagree with you. See what you want to see, no matter how hard and clean Uruguay defend they'll be swimming upstream against that b.s. til the end of time or the next time England wins a WC, whichever comes first. ;)

B.S. Everybody has "animals" including Brasil. Ask Tab Ramos.

Harder to appreciate good defense than good offense for the common fan.

What bugs me is seeing good teams like Brasil being given the benefit of the doubt when they CAN'T defend with tact b/c believe it or not defending IS a skill, an art form even, and no less part of the game. I'm not just talking "parking the bus" and putting 10 guys in the box, ala England in this past Eurocup either, I mean man marking, shadowing, stealing the ball.

Of course, nobody cares, defense = bad, offense = good. No point trying to convince the masses who delight over Neymar's *** hairstyle or the color of Ronaldo's thong.

A Brasilian foul is necessary, a lesser team's foul is sinister....same foul, different jersey. Defense is subjective and goals are objective...is the ball in the back of the net? End of story, simple.

Yeah, Uruguay has to resort to more defensive play more often than not but we're the population of Connecticut, Sao Paolo alone has three times more people than the entire country.

Being eternal underdogs gives you a chip on your shoulder, no matter how many world championships. (4)

I actually had you pegged as very partisan, so it was a pleasant surprise to read a good, pro-Uruguay/pro-defense post.

Brazil are the kings of the tactical foul. You can count on a foul at midfield if they lose the ball and the other team is running at them. It's been true for decades now.

Much better from L'pool tonight after last week's labored, and somewhat lucky win in Belarus.

Quick paced pass and move football, much of it one touch. With a slew of chances created. A pleasant change to have an easy qualifier for once. Roll on tomorrow's draw.

Hail.

Liverpool goal made Sportscenter's top 10 this morning!

Much better from L'pool tonight after last week's labored, and somewhat lucky win in Belarus.

Quick paced pass and move football, much of it one touch. With a slew of chances created. A pleasant change to have an easy qualifier for once. Roll on tomorrow's draw.

Hail.

I agree...I would love to see them play at that level all year. Replacing Jonjo with Allen will only make the attack better.

I agree...I would love to see them play at that level all year. Replacing Jonjo with Allen will only make the attack better.

Allen's ridiculously over priced for me at £15 million sterling, but then that's the ridiculous situation with British players these days. Good player, but nothing like that price in an ideal World. I guess he's looking at him as Gerrard's replacement long term. Without the goals. More an Alonso type deep lying playmaker. Hopefully they'll be another forward arriving some time soon. Particularly after Bellamy's move to Cardiff. I liked Craig, and appreciated his passion. But I'm happy to see him go. It was time. Too old and too injury prone.

Allen and Borini. His first two signings at 22 and 21 respectively. Whilst clearing out a slew of vet. deadwood. I like the philosophy at play here as he rebuilds this his way.

YES! We've pulled Hearts in the playoff round. A short trip over the border to Edinburgh, which is a brilliant drinking place. Made up at that.

---------- Post added August-10th-2012 at 07:09 AM ----------

Liverpool goal made Sportscenter's top 10 this morning!

Really? Wow. Never thought a goal from a Europa League Third Qualifying round, not even the competition proper so to speak, would make Sportscenter in the US.

Johnson's I'm guessing? The 20 yarder or so?

Hail.

Really? Wow. Never thought a goal from a Europa League Third Qualifying round, not even the competition proper so to speak, would make Sportscenter in the US.

Johnson's I'm guessing? The 20 yarder or so?

Hail.

Yea I think that was the one. Hit it off the outside of his foot and it curled in to the right side of the goal.