Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Well, Daniel should be ready for Palace.  But I think when Daniel IS ready he'll play two forward.

You've FAR more faith than I bro'.

If I ever see Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge and Mario on the same pitch together at the same time under BR I think I may well die of shock!

And Can's had two boss games in a row now so that's probably the last we'll see of him for a month.

We're staying over the Sunday of Palace in London as we've an early flight Monday morning direct to Sofia. You'll hate me for this, but I've passed on the Palace ticket, even though I'm down there, and will meet back up with the boys after the game. Not sure what I'll be doing as yet (although it's London so I'll find something); but it has to better than blowing another 39 notes on this.

Yeah, my current apathy is showing no signs of abating.

Looking forward to Sofia. Ludogorets on the Wednesday not so much.

Hail.

• Like 1

As much cash as you drop on this team, I think you deserve to take a break GHH

You're doing your part and have been admirably

You flatter me bro'. I'm no different from many I know. You'd be the same if you'd been born in Islington or down the Holloway Road or the like.

Sorry about today bro'. You know I have the utmost respect for Arsenal FC. One of the three major clubs that really matter in England and EVERYTHING that low life scumbag club from West London we played yesterday isn't.

But keep it quiet. Others think I'm anti- Arsenal so lets not spoil the myth. ;) 

And I'm sadz again..,

And who got out jumped on that 2nd goal?

The left back playing center back

But we didn't need to sign one tho

Right. My bad

Maybe Wenger and Rodgers should get together and write a book on defending.

Admittedly, it would be more a bus ticket than a book, but at least they might come up with SOMETHING between them they can't by themselves.

It's crazy that every team Arsenal plays doesn't just lob air balls over Monreal. Why do anything else?

He actually wasn't even bad today. He's just limited and physically overmatched 

Swap you for Johnson.

Hell, I'll PAY you to take Johnson.

Please. I BEG of you.

Name your price.

Hail

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Who was out there to sign at CB? 2nd and 3rd rate CBs wouldn't offer up the same results?

I'm sorry but with every competitive league on the planet, you could not find one player better than Nacho Monreal? I call bull**** on that. 

No one was asking for Hummels and some other world class player. Just someone that can actually play the position. It's laughable to think there was no one available. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry but with every competitive league on the planet, you could not find one player better than Nacho Monreal? I call bull**** on that. 

No one was asking for Hummels and some other world class player. Just someone that can actually play the position. It's laughable to think there was no one available. 

Like I've posted before . . . Barca bought Vermaelen. They can have whomever they want and pay whatever they want. Utd signed who? Rojo. What's their depth at CB? citeh seemed to have signed the only decent CB amongst the top teams with Mangala. Who is Chelsea carrying behind Cahill and Terry? Ake and Kurt Zouma. Liverpool bought Lovren, are they happy with him? Madrid signed no Center backs. 

Bayern side Benatia from Roma. Who? Who is to say we weren't in for him? Dortmund signed Ginter (age 20). 

We signed Chambers as CB cover but Debuchy went down. 

So. You can call BS but the knee-jerk/waste money approach is what you're advocating. Several t eams at our level were hunting for a CB, they had resources, scouting depts . . . so in ALL THE WORLD they signed guys like Vermaelen, Lovren, and Rojo. I think you could expect the same result from the next tier of Center back. But hey, Squillaci and Robert Huth and Djourou would NEVER have given up goals like that. 

• Like 1

Like I've posted before . . . Barca bought Vermaelen. They can have whomever they want and pay whatever they want. Utd signed who? Rojo. What's their depth at CB? citeh seemed to have signed the only decent CB amongst the top teams with Mangala. Who is Chelsea carrying behind Cahill and Terry? Ake and Kurt Zouma. Liverpool bought Lovren, are they happy with him? Madrid signed no Center backs. 

Bayern side Benatia from Roma. Who? Who is to say we weren't in for him? Dortmund signed Ginter (age 20). 

We signed Chambers as CB cover but Debuchy went down. 

So. You can call BS but the knee-jerk/waste money approach is what you're advocating. Several t eams at our level were hunting for a CB, they had resources, scouting depts . . . so in ALL THE WORLD they signed guys like Vermaelen, Lovren, and Rojo. I think you could expect the same result from the next tier of Center back. But hey, Squillaci and Robert Huth and Djourou would NEVER have given up goals like that. 

Eziquiel Garay went from Benfica to St. Petersburg for € 15 million the last window.

The Uruguayan captain at Godin could well of been had from Atletico Madrid.

Mateo Masacchio is another very fine, old school Argentinian centre half whom 'Spurs almost signed from Villarreal this past summer.

Daniel Agger, although injury prone but still a very classy ball playing defender, left Liverpool. Southampton signed Alderweireld, another classy ball playing centre back on loan from Ajax.

Two quality young English centre halfs, although injury prone, Micah Richards and Martin Kelly, went on loan and permanent to Fiorentina and Crystal Palace respectively. If they'd of checked out medically, there's another two.

That's 7 central defenders that could of massively helped and improved Arsenal's group off the top of my head.

Hail.

Maybe you guys didn't want to sell us Agger? Would City sell us Richards? Kelly, a guy with 50 appearances in 7 years and could only muster less than a dozen appearances for Huddersfield. I'll give you Alderweild, but maybe he wanted to be at a place where he could get more time because he's just on loan from Atletico Madrid. 

You say, guys like Godin, "could be had"—I stand by my statement . . . a lot of big clubs looked to upgrade starters or depth and Godin wasn't seen as an option or AM didn't want to sell. 

Say what you will about Arsene, he may be learning a different lesson now, but overspending for shoddy players leads to White Hart Lane. 

• Like 1

Jefferson Montero makes a lot of people look silly.  Quietly one of the best LWs in the BPL.  Almost single-handedly beat LFC in league cup before we woke up/got lucky.

Arsenal have some problems, and they are similar to LFC on the back end where we both have talent, but might lack organization and shape... but Montero cutting you up is nothing new if you watch Swansea play football on the regular.

Now who had Gomis on that header is another story, but Montero put a steady diet of brilliance into the box all match yesterday shouldn't surprise you.

FrFan is starting to soften up the peanut butter: :lol:

This Is Anfield @thisisanfield 4m4 minutes ago

PSG and former Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye linked with a January move to Liverpool in several papers/media outlets today. Discuss.

Edited by DC9

Callum Chambers was woefully bad yesterday. Regardless of whom he was facing, he was Glen. Johnson bad.

But Callum Chambers is 19 and a raw kid who will (hopefully for Arsenal fans) learn and develop into a real fine defender his raw talents suggest he will be over time. Plus he's a centre half playing out of position at right back.

So he should get some leeway but let's not pretend he wasn't piss poor at RB yesterday.

Hail.

Callum Chambers was woefully bad yesterday. Regardless of whom he was facing, he was Glen. Johnson bad.

But Callum Chambers is 19 and a raw kid who will (hopefully for Arsenal fans) learn and develop into a real fine defender his raw talents suggest he will be over time. Plus he's a centre half playing out of position at right back.

So he should get some leeway but let's not pretend he wasn't piss poor at RB yesterday.

Hail.

I can't for the life of me, figure out why Wenger keeps playing Chambers at RB instead of CB. The solution is really quite simple.

1. Play Chambers at left CB instead of Monreal

2. Play either Monreal or Bellerin at RB

I can't for the life of me, figure out why Wenger keeps playing Chambers at RB instead of CB. The solution is really quite simple.

1. Play Chambers at left CB instead of Monreal

2. Play either Monreal or Bellerin at RB

Agreed. I see Chambers as one of the future English stars. It was an expensive signing and highly over price in reality. But but I'd view it more a calculated gamble as I really believe he'll develop into a top class centre back. NOT RB.

This all leads back to the ongoing debate between you boys of his transfer policy this past summer. Thinking he could get away with signing Chambers and rely on his versatility to cover two positions instead of splashing the cash and properly fixing one has contributed to the mess Areenal cutrently are at the back.

I' be questioning Steve Bould as a coach too. From everything I've seen, he's had little to no influence on changing things back there.

Good players don't always make good coaches.

Hail.

• Like 1

Didn't want to bump the other thread so I'll put this here .....

Today brought up the 100th day in the inquests. With the proceedings expected to last another year such is the depth off evidence and testimony.

I honestly do not know how the family's find the strength to go day after day and hear people reliving how their loved ones where killed.

Puts all our arguments Into STARK perspective,

Shankly always said football wasn't a matter of life and death. It was far more important than that. But we know more than most that couldn't be further from the truth. Sport matters very little in reality.

Hug your loved ones tonight and just be greatful you still can.

Hail.

• Like 1

Maybe you guys didn't want to sell us Agger? Would City sell us Richards? Kelly, a guy with 50 appearances in 7 years and could only muster less than a dozen appearances for Huddersfield. I'll give you Alderweild, but maybe he wanted to be at a place where he could get more time because he's just on loan from Atletico Madrid. 

You say, guys like Godin, "could be had"—I stand by my statement . . . a lot of big clubs looked to upgrade starters or depth and Godin wasn't seen as an option or AM didn't want to sell. 

Say what you will about Arsene, he may be learning a different lesson now, but overspending for shoddy players leads to White Hart Lane.

this i agree with. Its why I am not that upset about the centerback situation. There just arent really good ones out now.

But the DM conundrum is bullsht. Those guys are a dime a dozen and are better than what we have. He needs to build a line up to help with the defensive shortcomings, but he cant. He cant because he sucks.

Montero and Sigurdsson are the real deal.

In other news, Dusan Tadic is one of my new favorite players.

So if AW thinks that highly of Chambers... he tries to put him over at RB to shut down Montero's balls in, for me.  Unless he's done it every game, then I just can't answer.

Yeah. Another midfielder.

Just what we need .....

Hail.

NSFW... but this is video from the LFC parties I've had at my house this year when other supporters show up -