Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Eventually Donovan will be gone. We need to know we can score.
No question. But scoring comes from controlling and creating in the midfield, and the US did a pretty good job of that last night with an average lineup. They did not score, but they shot the ball instead of waiting for the perfect opportunity, and earned some corners. I guess I am saying that I can see an improvement. Jurgen has a year or 2 to find a finisher and I think he will.

When is Stuart Holden going to be healthy?

hurt again....6 more months

---------- Post added October-12th-2011 at 01:28 PM ----------

Wow wheres the NY USA fans? Half the place is Ecuador.

this is one of the biggest problems for US soccer. Most Americans don't care about soccer and therefore don't support the National Team. Many Americans who do care about soccer do not identify with the National Team. I find it hard to believe that thousands of people would travel to NY from Ecuador on a Tuesday to see a friendly. We need people who are passionate about soccer who live and work in this country to be passionate about the National Team....we need everyone to feel as though this is their team.

Where exactly will he find one? At this stage, you can score or you can't. Pro strikers don't just "figure it out" in their mid-twenties. The problems all our strikers have had, except for McBride, is that they don't have a) the goal scoring instinct and B) the skills to play the position. Jozy has more athletic ability than Torres, Villa, Klose, but he can't do squat with it.

Playing striker at the highest level, nothing ever goes as you draw it up or practice it. Things are happening in split second. You need to make the most of imperfect scoring opportunities and Jozy and the striker pool just can't do that. They're too flawed in multiple ways to ever be excellent strikers. F that, they can't even be regular goal scorers.

I miss McBride. Hopefully Klinsmann can find a young guy, as it is from the current crop I don't think there's a consistent striker to be moulded. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it at this point. I think that he'll unearth some talent along the way, though.

this is one of the biggest problems for US soccer. Most Americans don't care about soccer and therefore don't support the National Team. Many Americans who do care about soccer do not identify with the National Team. I find it hard to believe that thousands of people would travel to NY from Ecuador on a Tuesday to see a friendly. We need people who are passionate about soccer who live and work in this country to be passionate about the National Team....we need everyone to feel as though this is their team.

I also don't think it helps that specifics for friendlies seem to be announced pretty late from the perspective of a fan trying to plan for travel. If your an Ecuadorian living in the US, it's pretty easy to know that when they play here you're going to go to the game no matter where or when it is. But if you're a US fan, it's pretty easy to dismiss games because you can always go to one that's more convenient. Of course that's little excuse for fans in the city where the game is being played. From the sound of the anthem, there were a lot of fans from Baltimore at the game last night.

I also don't think it helps that specifics for friendlies seem to be announced pretty late from the perspective of a fan trying to plan for travel. If your an Ecuadorian living in the US, it's pretty easy to know that when they play here you're going to go to the game no matter where or when it is. But if you're a US fan, it's pretty easy to dismiss games because you can always go to one that's more convenient. Of course that's little excuse for fans in the city where the game is being played. From the sound of the anthem, there were a lot of fans from Baltimore at the game last night.

The fact it was played in NY right in the Red Bull Arena and yet was still half Ecuador annoys me. NY generally shows up for soccer. Or atleast they have for women's soccer in the past.

The fact it was played in NY right in the Red Bull Arena and yet was still half Ecuador annoys me. NY generally shows up for soccer. Or atleast they have for women's soccer in the past.

That stadium is in ****ty Harrison, NJ and is really not that convenient to access unless you enjoy standing in line at the PATH station for 2 hours after the game. And again, I don't know how much of it is up to US Soccer, but they don't announce the details of friendlies early enough. I would have loved to go to the game vs Honduras in Miami, but didn't even know about it until like a month before. Even now, I know there are FIFA dates coming up in November, and the US will be playing somewhere in Europe, but they don't know where or against who. And their website doesn't even list the FIFA dates as possible match dates.

I'm not making excuses for last night's poor attendance on the part of US fans, but it's not easy to attend friendlies at this rate even if you want to. Hopefully things will be better once qualifying starts, but if the US/Honduras game in Chicago a couple years ago is any indication, it'll likely be more nights like last night.

That stadium is in ****ty Harrison, NJ and is really not that convenient to access unless you enjoy standing in line at the PATH station for 2 hours after the game. And again, I don't know how much of it is up to US Soccer, but they don't announce the details of friendlies early enough. I would have loved to go to the game vs Honduras in Miami, but didn't even know about it until like a month before. Even now, I know there are FIFA dates coming up in November, and the US will be playing somewhere in Europe, but they don't know where or against who. And their website doesn't even list the FIFA dates as possible match dates.

I'm not making excuses for last night's poor attendance on the part of US fans, but it's not easy to attend friendlies at this rate even if you want to. Hopefully things will be better once qualifying starts, but if the US/Honduras game in Chicago a couple years ago is any indication, it'll likely be more nights like last night.

Thats right. I forgot basically no team in NY plays in NY.

I would like to believe that The US would attract more fans to games if games were better planned, properly promoted and more important. We have all watched supposed World Cup qualifying games the were in America but away games. Our 'home' games against Mexico are embarrassing, even in the Gold Cup. I believe US Soccer needs to reach out to the soccer loving community and create a love for US Soccer from people who are passionate about soccer. This may seem like I am just talking about South and Central American people, but the same applies to European people.....we just don't play them that much at home

Edited by jobaga

I would like to believe that The US would attract more fans to games if games were better planned, properly promoted and more important. We have all watched supposed World Cup qualifying games the were in America but away games. Our 'home' games against Mexico are embarrassing, even in the Gold Cup. I believe US Soccer needs to reach out to the soccer loving community and create a love for US Soccer from people who are passionate about soccer. This may seem like I am just talking about South and Central American people, but the same applies to European people.....we just don't play them that much at home

I might be talking out of my butt here, but it's sad how disjointed soccer support is in this country. Soccer snobbery isn't just an issue between fans and non-fans, it's an issue among soccer fans. People are too good to support US Soccer just like they are too good to support the MLS. For every passionate US Soccer fan, there are 10 who support the US along with England or Germany or France.

I think we will slowly start to win over the central and south american fans who grew up in the US, but that's obviously not an easy sell. But we also have to win over those fans who don't have any ties to other teams except that they are perrenial powerhouses in international soccer.

Oh yea, and DCU really **** the bed last night. Goals within the first minute of both halves??? I'm not really complaining though bc this team is amongst if not the youngest team in the league and they look 100 times better than last year.

Sadly one of my friends showed signs of soccer snobbery last night. I just don't get it. I would argue that Soccer and football are the two biggest sports a fan could relate to its teams. Soccer is all about pride(Like walking into a hostile stadium with followers supporters with scarfs risen high in the air while chanting.). That's not to say sports like baseball and basketball aren't but nowadays its really more about a paycheck except for some players that are truly about the game. US Soccer is about players representing the country. Right now players are learning what it means to play for a country as Jurgen is evaluating them. The issue is while our players are learning to represent a country our fans are only starting to learn what its like to have a sport represent the country that's not the main sport. If NFL style football dominated the world the USA would bring the biggest fanbase by far but because soccer which is 3rd or 4th in the US in popularity is the world sport its hard for the country to adjust. Unfortunately that won't change until soccer takes the 2nd place behind NFL(I don't see soccer overtaking NFL atleast not for a awhile).

---------- Post added October-13th-2011 at 04:19 PM ----------

_igvPAFRtBs

8AWAQcf90v4

I saw this a couple weeks ago and found it interesting as a "sign -o-the-times" type thing..

2 weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon here in the uSA,, the four major networks all had sports on.. 2 of them had NFL football. NBC had soccer... ABC had rugby...

and the MLB playoffs were over on basic cable.

Just an observation i thought was interesting.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

• 3 weeks later...

A couple DC United/National Team notes:

Ethan White and Perry Kitchen of DCU have both been called up to the U23 National Team training camp in Germany.

Bill Hamid was called up for the upcoming US games vs France and Slovenia. Hamid is also currently on trial with West Brom.