Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

• 2 weeks later...

Our shot at a WC was last time. Our coach's decisions in the round of 16 screwed it for us.

I dont see us with a real chance in 14 or 18. So 2022 would be the next chance I could see.

FWIW, the USMNT plays Venezuela tomorrow night. ESPN3 and Galavision for viewing. None of the top players on the roster. More of a chance for second tier guys to show their stuff.

Our shot at a WC was last time. Our coach's decisions in the round of 16 screwed it for us.

I dont see us with a real chance in 14 or 18. So 2022 would be the next chance I could see.

FWIW, the USMNT plays Venezuela tomorrow night. ESPN3 and Galavision for viewing. None of the top players on the roster. More of a chance for second tier guys to show their stuff.

Looking forward to this as hopefully Bill Hamid (goalie for DCU) will get a start in either this or the upcoming game vs Panama.

Also here is a cool clip I saw last night.

Also here is a cool clip I saw last night.

Amazing. Their footskills are better than mine! Not saying much though. I use basketball dribbling glasses for 2 touch, no-pressure, passing skills with U14 travel players and it's amazing how much it affects their play.

Edited by pointyfootball

I will throw some people under the bus. This is the way it goes. I’m not trying to be an *ss. I’m being honest. I’ve been to enough Landon Donovan practices to watch him walk out on a Wednesday or Thursday. You’re like, really? You try that in Europe. Go ahead. Try that one on for size. Superstar’s going to walk off. Yeah, you’re part of that equation, guy. Because if people are making money together, that’s the first time Todd Dunivant has the right to say, ‘Hey superstar, get your *ss back here.’

Ouch!

This really deserves it's own thread.

But take the time to read this LONG and rambling talk by Eric Wynalda.

He hits the nail, squarely, on. the. head. Regarding the "why cant the US be better at Soccer" question.

http://www.nationalsoccerwire.com/news/458/15572

I sped through the read yesterday because I was trying to get on the road. Anyway, so his point is that our pros lack professionalism and that those with the ability to play in europe can't get sold because of the MLS schedule and other petty reasons for keeping them in MLS?

I really couldn't understand 90% of that article, (sounded like incoherent rambling by Wynalda) but one area struck me was about the schedule. In other countries, there is no such thing as the NFL or MLB. The NFL dominates the schedule from August until February. Baseball has their showcase in October and opening day in April. Other countries schedule (EPL for example) go from August until June. We don't have the kind of fanbase like Germany (to use a cold weather example) for people to sit outdoors to watch soccer in the middle of January when it's 20 degrees out and snowing. Unfortunately Americans assiociate soccer with warm weather. It's just the way it is. It would be the death of MLS to have the season start at the same time as the NFL and end when baseball is gearing up. Add in the NBA during the winter months and I just don't see where you would get the fan support outside of the diehards.

Edited by pjfootballer

I really couldn't understand 90% of that article, (sounded like incoherent rambling by Wynalda) but one area struck me was about the schedule. In other countries, there is no such thing as the NFL or MLB. The NFL dominates the schedule from August until February. Baseball has their showcase in October and opening day in April. Other countries schedule (EPL for example) go from August until June. We don't have the kind of fanbase like Germany (to use a cold weather example) for people to sit outdoors to watch soccer in the middle of January when it's 20 degrees out and snowing. Unfortunately Americans assiociate soccer with warm weather. It's just the way it is. It would be the death of MLS to have the season start at the same time as the NFL and end when baseball is gearing up. Add in the NBA during the winter months and I just don't see where you would get the fan support outside of the diehards.

2 points.

1- If they dont change, the product will not get better in either MLS or the MNT. So arguing to remain at the status quo is an argument to continue to fail.

2- The research shows a different story.

MLS fans are not the same as NFL fans. Or any of the big 3. Which is why the move towards smaller soccer specific stadiums has been a boom for the league. Take a look at the second tier leagues in England and Germany. Those sides draw less than 15k per match regularly. In fact, the lower half of the EPL draw less than 30k a game. Waldo does a decent job of explaining the basic financial problem with your argument.

IF MLS played a concurrent schedule, and drew less, they would STILL make many times more money in transfer fees alone.

Further, the league ALREADY plays at the start of MLB and the beginning of the NFL season. The issue would be taking the summer off like the rest of the world instead of Dec Jan and Feb.

Edited by Kilmer17

2 points.

1- If they dont change, the product will not get better in either MLS or the MNT. So arguing to remain at the status quo is an argument to continue to fail.

2- The research shows a different story.

MLS fans are not the same as NFL fans. Or any of the big 3. Which is why the move towards smaller soccer specific stadiums has been a boom for the league. Take a look at the second tier leagues in England and Germany. Those sides draw less than 15k per match regularly. In fact, the lower half of the EPL draw less than 30k a game. Waldo does a decent job of explaining the basic financial problem with your argument.

IF MLS played a concurrent schedule, and drew less, they would STILL make many times more money in transfer fees alone.

Could be. I'm not as astute with soccer as you are, but I have noticed MLS soccer only stadiums being built with 20K about the average size. Baseball seems to being going back to the smaller, more intimate stadiums lately. Like I said in my post, the diehard soccer fans will be there no matter what, it depends on if MLS wants to bring in the casual fan to the sport. I like soccer and enjoy watching EPL on Saturday mornings, but I'll be damned if I'll sit outside in 20 degree weather to root for DC United. I barely want to sit in the cold for Redskin games.

Let me ask you. If MLS played the same schedule, would it be easier for them as far as the transfer fees go? With playing an off schedule is that harder for players to be transferred? I'm asking because I don't know.

Could be. I'm not as astute with soccer as you are, but I have noticed MLS soccer only stadiums being built with 20K about the average size. Baseball seems to being going back to the smaller, more intimate stadiums lately. Like I said in my post, the diehard soccer fans will be there no matter what, it depends on if MLS wants to bring in the casual fan to the sport. I like soccer and enjoy watching EPL on Saturday mornings, but I'll be damned if I'll sit outside in 20 degree weather to root for DC United. I barely want to sit in the cold for Redskin games.

Let me ask you. If MLS played the same schedule, would it be easier for them as far as the transfer fees go? With playing an off schedule is that harder for players to be transferred? I'm asking because I don't know.

Absolutely. International Club soccer is an intricate and frustrating thing to grasp. But the simple answer is, USsoccer would make more money, MLS would make more money, Players would make more money AND (THE BIG PART) our players would get better.

Further, the league ALREADY plays at the start of MLB and the beginning of the NFL season. The issue would be taking the summer off like the rest of the world instead of Dec Jan and Feb.

Great night.

The 2nd most successful club in English soccer history (although if we're talking the REAL big ones, the League and European Cup; then 18+5> Utd's 19+3 :D); are back in their first domestic final for 6 years.

After going to the original Wembley more times than any other club; then the second most appearances at Cardiff whilst Wembley was rebuilt; Liverpool Football Club are finally starting their odyssey at the new Wembley on the 26th of next month as we look to add to our record 7 League Cups. All in the first full season of King Kenny's second go-around in the midst of a complete rebuild.

Another proud night to be a born and bred Liverpudlian. Roll on 4 weeks time and a return to Anfield South.

Hail.

And BTW, I adopted Totenham Hotspur as my EPL team about 4 years ago to go against the Yankees...er Manchester United.

Surely you must be talking about the noisy neighbors (Manchester City) or Chelsea, because the belief that United just outspends everyone is a common misconception.

In the past three years, for example, United has a net spending LOWER than those of Hull City, Blackpool and Burnley . . .

We get amazing talent when they are young (and relatively cheaper than what the market typically dictates), and then reward them for production. Look at some of the numbers: Wayne Rooney for £25M (a steal at the time considering what he has turned into, while players like Andy Carrol are going for £35M), Chris Smalling for £8M, Phil Jones for £16M, and Nemanja Vidic for just £7M!

I can go on and bore you all with more . . . but the above four players make my point.

Surely you must be talking about the noisy neighbors (Manchester City) or Chelsea, because the belief that United just outspends everyone is a common misconception.

In the past three years, for example, United has a net spending LOWER than those of Hull City, Blackpool and Burnley . . .

We get amazing talent when they are young (and relatively cheaper than what the market typically dictates), and then reward them for production. Look at some of the numbers: Wayne Rooney for £25M (a steal at the time considering what he has turned into, while players like Andy Carrol are going for £35M), Chris Smalling for £8M, Phil Jones for £16M, and Nemanja Vidic for just £7M!

I can go on and bore you all with more . . . but the above four players make my point.

Which is the exact opposite of what my beloved Arsenal does. We buy 'em young like Man Utd BUT sell them for a huge profit once they are at their peak. Makes for a good business model, but always a too-young squad. Very frustrating.