Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Yeah, injury did for the Judas ill' rat ...... Uhmmm Michael Owen. He was never the same player after he did his hammy at Leeds way back when, when he was still at Anfield. His game was ALL about pace. He lost a big part when he got the hamstring injury. Same with Torres. He's never been the same since he was injured. Again pace was a major part of his game.

A note on Sterling ..... It'll be interesting to see how quickly BR gets Jordan Ibe involved with the first team this year. They actually rate him higher than Raheem, which is saying something. And he's certainly not looked out of place to date. If we can keep switching Sterling and Ibe in an out for one another this year that should really aid their development whilst not burning either youngster out. Two terrific talents on the wing for England going forward for a long time to come.

Real happy to read that Shelvey had a great debut for Swansea last night in Europe too. He hopefully will blossom under the great Michael Laudrup if the Dane can calm him down and show faith in him. Wish him all the best so long as it's not at L'pools expense.

Ghost man, you're a star. With dry humour like that, you'd fit right in, in this City.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Yeah, injury did for the Judas ill' rat ...... Uhmmm Michael Owen. He was never the same player after he did his hammy at Leeds way back when, when he was still at Anfield. His game was ALL about pace. He lost a big part when he got the hamstring injury. Same with Torres. He's never been the same since he was injured. Again pace was a major part of his game.

A note on Sterling ..... It'll be interesting to see how quickly BR gets Jordan Ibe involved with the first team this year. They actually rate him higher than Raheem, which is saying something. And he's certainly not looked out of place to date. If we can keep switching Sterling and Ibe in an out for one another this year that should really aid their development whilst not burning either youngster out. Two terrific talents on the wing for England going forward for a long time to come.

Real happy to read that Shelvey had a great debut for Swansea last night in Europe too. He hopefully will blossom under the great Michael Laudrup if the Dane can calm him down and show faith in him. Wish him all the best so long as it's not at L'pools expense.

Ghost man, you're a star. With dry humour like that, you'd fit right in, in this City.

Hail.

Haha glad to hear I fit in. I've always loved the club ever since picking "Merseyside Red" in the old PES games and later realizing it was the fabricated LIverpool squad.

Ibe looks extremely intriguing. He's 17 but he's built like he's in his mid-20s. I can see him and Sterling holding down the left wing for the forseeable future. Their is some really good young talent coming through the academy. Kelly and Wisdom look solid in the back. And while he's still ways away, I'd like to see McLaughlin develop into something nice. Their is no reason why England's top LB should be wearing any shade of Blue.

I'm mixed on Shelvey though. I wish him luck, but he really disappointed while he was here. All the talent in the world, but couldn't seem to bring it together. But if he develops he could be something. Attacking middies who can score are valuable, even if he never put it together while he was here. Swansea could have something if he and Bony end up being as successful as that Spanish striker they signed last season for peanuts. His name escapes me.

These last few weeks of the transfer window are going to be quite interesting. Rooney, Fabregas, Bale, and Suarez could all possibly be on the move, and three of them are transferring between competing clubs. Even though Fabregas is on Barca right now, I don't think Gunners will be too pleased with him playing for WankU after whining his way back home. Especially after RVP. Though I'm sure they won't note any hypocrisy if they boo Fabregas while cheering Suarez should he **** of to London.

On another note, is Ibra going to stay in Paris? He makes cake, plus they just added Cavani and already have Lavezzi from last season. Pastore too. That kind of depth may work in FIFA, but reality is tad different, I think.

I think its noteworthy the differences in between American talent development, versus international. Over here, we dont really start getting into representation and accolades until adolescence at the earliest, but even then talent really begins to gain hype closer to 18. And even then, you usually have to play some college ball for any of the major sports, and go pro in your early twenties on average. Then you develop some more until youre a vet.

Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, and others before them that have succeeded else where (Reyna, McBride, Keller) were all significantly older than their European teammates when making their debuts. I think this allows playesr to really develop later in their career. Conversely, look at the English model. Michael Owen was used up before he even turned 25. Wayne Rooney was ending historical runs with his right foot at 16 years old.

Over here, nobody really acknowledges you as the next big thing until youre either players big time college ball or going pro. Over there, every club wants to sign the newest darling starlet. Liverpool caught a lot of flack last season for overplaying their "next big thing" in Raheem Sterling. He was 17 at the time.

I dunno, just an observation.

College ball IS a big part of the problem.

We ask our best players to peak when they are 22 in college. What is the peak years for a professional player 25? 27?

Between 16 and 22, European kids are in a year round environment where development is the focus not winning stupid meaningless games. In college, coaches have limited contact with their players to a fraction of the year. Part of that time, if you're an underclassman you're riding the pine instead of playing regularly—so you might not see regular matches for a year or two.

The quality of college play has gotten better in the last two years. Colleges like Akron are raising the standard. I think it was the NCAA final 5 years ago between St. Johns and UMD, it was a long-ball fest. Just ugly soccer.

As far as Michael Owen, I think the game evolved away from the type of striker he was and the knee injury just did him in. He was a speed player and he lost a step after the injury.

Not disagreeing, just thought it was interesting that Rooney has 11 years of Premiere League experience, and he's only 27, whereas players like Dempsey and Donovan really started thriving closer to 30. You definitely have a point with the fact that a lot of prime years are wasted in the system developing, when they could contribute at the top.

Edited by [[ghost]]

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/espn-reports-clint-dempsey-transfer-seattle-imminent-224015059.html

I'm surprised there's been no word on here of this move yet.

I wonder what went wrong, because just a year ago Dempsey was stating he wanted to play in the CL, and now he's downgrading by coming back state side to play for the Sounders.  Hopefully some clarity will come forth during his press conference on Monday.

Wow. Never saw that one coming. How things change in a year. This time last year Clint was fixing to move to Liverpool until the owners screwed the manager and the money wasn't there on the last day of the window forcing him to reluctantly move to 'Spurs. Now he's going back home. Shocked at that as he still has a lot to offer.

Great coup for Seattle and the MLS like.

There'd been strong rumours here he was going to Everton. Guess the MLS is more attractive lol

Hail.

Home opener for Leeds today in the Championship. Very good 2-1 win against Brighton who are one of the teams who should be challenging towards the top of the table come the end of the season. Good performance as well which is promising. 

What was even more promising was a full house of 33,000. Well almost a full house Brighton did not sell their full allocation of away tickets - its a long way from Brighton to Leeds but still poor if you cant sell out your allocation for the first game of the season away at Leeds! 

That's almost a full house these days hub?

**** Elland Road got small. Guess that happens when your currently in Bradford's shadow .....

Hail.

39,000 is the official capacity but they close of some sections for league matches making it about 35,000. As for Bradford's shadow .....thems fighting words!

Your right though in our heyday it was 55,000 - they closed down some sections though and replaced them with Uncle Kens famous corporate boxes!

Now now. I'm sure you'll grace the new Wembley at some point like your dear 'friends' from down the road ..... Whether you'll be alive to see it is a whole other matter of course .....

Joking aside, 33k is a magnificent turnout for a second division game. Opening day excitemt or not. Even more so in these economic times at the scandolous prices being asked.

Hail.

Not a big fan of MLS, and honestly, Premier League is better watching. That said, good for Dempsey. 

People act like this is a huge move, that Dempsey is like Gretzky coming to LA. Dempsey is an okay player. Didn't really break out so to speak at Spurs. There isn't any American on the soccer level that Gretzky was in the NHL...

NBC has not broadcast a single game yet, but I already like them better than FoxSoccer...

The thing is, that Fox Soccer was not basic tier for a lot of people. For me, as a Fios customer, I'm not going to pay extra for that network. Especially when most of that network is just re-broadcasts of Sky Sport and re-play.  :lol:

Unbelievable ... a school district is implementing protective headgear for youth soccer. No, it's not April 1st.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2013/08/princeton_schools_become_the_first_in_the_state_to_require_headgear_for_soccer_lacrosse_and_field_ho.html

soon kids will be required to wear helmets to walk from class to class...

Yes, I am aware I sound like an old curmudgeon

From a youth coaching standpoint I can't say I really blame them—there isn't a definitive ruling on how concussions are obtained these days. My club is taking a very "CYA" approach  to heading at the younger ages (pre-teens)—we teach heading and do it in controlled environments. Overall, our style of play involves keeping the ball on the ground as much as possible so it reduces the number of times that ball is needlessly in the air. No kickball and as much as possible even our gks roll or throw it out starting at the very youngest ages. We discourage punting because we want them to learn to play out of the back. 

Our club director just took a CDC seminar on concussions and what they are finding that it seems to be connected to jaw impact into the skull. But they admit that that's not a definitive finding yet, but they are suggesting (not recommending) that mouth pieces may reduce concussions. Maybe not, see football.

Strangely, US youth hockey (I don't know what they're governing body is) found in a study they commissioned that mouth pieces DO NO reduce likelihood of concussions. 

I don't think this school system or my club is out to breed a generation of wusses but, again, it's CYA. We have families, we have homes and assets to protect—you don't want findings to come out 5 years from now and expose all of us to lawsuits for negligence. We're not the NFL, we can't fight this to a meaningful degree.

TBH, a lot of the Arsenal fan base don't want Suarez. I do. 

Also, I don't really care if we overpay (i.e. Gareth Bale money), it's not my money and after years of not spending it's about time. 

Hate to see it that it's taking your top player, GHH, if it were to happen. 

Through all this, I can't decide if Brendan Rodgers is a dick or he's just a principled man. 

From a youth coaching standpoint I can't say I really blame them—there isn't a definitive ruling on how concussions are obtained these days. My club is taking a very "CYA" approach  to heading at the younger ages (pre-teens)—we teach heading and do it in controlled environments. Overall, our style of play involves keeping the ball on the ground as much as possible so it reduces the number of times that ball is needlessly in the air. No kickball and as much as possible even our gks roll or throw it out starting at the very youngest ages. We discourage punting because we want them to learn to play out of the back. 

Our club director just took a CDC seminar on concussions and what they are finding that it seems to be connected to jaw impact into the skull. But they admit that that's not a definitive finding yet, but they are suggesting (not recommending) that mouth pieces may reduce concussions. Maybe not, see football.

Strangely, US youth hockey (I don't know what they're governing body is) found in a study they commissioned that mouth pieces DO NO reduce likelihood of concussions. 

I don't think this school system or my club is out to breed a generation of wusses but, again, it's CYA. We have families, we have homes and assets to protect—you don't want findings to come out 5 years from now and expose all of us to lawsuits for negligence. We're not the NFL, we can't fight this to a meaningful degree.

They should go with the evidence which indicates that this type of head gear apparently does nothing to prevent concussions, but does increase risk by restricting visibility and hearing, will lead to more collisions. It's interesting that basketball is not being targeted when its rates are comparable to the sports which are on the list.