Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Madrid have said they want Suarez but can't afford both so it's dependent on Bale. If they don't land Bale they'll come in hard for Suarez.

But you keep telling folk what you (don't) know Joe.

Hail.

I think it's a big mistake from Real to try to get Bale. First, as talented as he is, he lacks experience and in my book he is not worth a €145 millions price tag or €98 millions + Coentrao (according to Marca PSG is responsible for the €25 millions transfer fee raise :blink::lol: ). Second, Gareth is playing on the left such as Ronaldo, that's two on the same side of offense.

Edited by FrFan

On the Bale/ Ronaldo situation:

Real I believe are working on the premise that Ronaldo will be moving on. He's shown no signs of talking about a new contract and the word out of Madrid is they aren't banking on him doing so. So Bale would be a ready made replacement. 

But for the interim, their moving Ronaldo up-front to accommodate the Welshman. A role he's just as deadly in. 

That's the downside on Suarez. Ronaldo switching up with Bales arrival no longer leaves Madrid down a forward. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

On the Bale/ Ronaldo situation:

Real I believe are working on the premise that Ronaldo will be moving on. He's shown no signs of talking about a new contract and the word out of Madrid is they aren't banking on him doing so. So Bale would be a ready made replacement. 

But for the interim, their moving Ronaldo up-front to accommodate the Welshman. A role he's just as deadly in. 

That's the downside on Suarez. Ronaldo switching up with Bales arrival no longer leaves Madrid down a forward. 

Hail. 

Makes sense, I think he's headed to PSG for more riches.

Madrid doubtless would want both over the long haul.

But theres a genuine fear within the Bernabeu that Ronaldo will be gone after this season entering the last year of his current deal. Bale safeguards them either way. 

Hail. 

he will stay unless Monaco comes calling and have a team that can win CL.

but Bale is not fit enough to lace Cronaldo's shoes. He really isnt anywhere near that good.

Talking of players who are top quality, it's Stevie Gerrards testimonial this weekend.

Such a travesty that he'll go down as probably the mos influential player for his club never to win his domestic league.

Makes one wonder just how much better Steven would of been if he'd been born in a different era and played on some of the great L'pool sides. For his World class talent would of translated to any era I have no doubt.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Why would a club not in these ubber PC times?

Much less one which was disgracefully tainted with institutionalised racism through the Suarez/ Evra affair by certain sections of the gutter press.

Pro-active PR by the club.

Hail.

Stevie Gerrard

Were you thinking about Gerrard with Bob Paisley and Callaghan and Hunt? .....
Could of been Morinho, Lampard and Tery back in 2005.

I'd love to know what really happened that night. Steven was (reluctantly) gone. And then he was going nowhere. I suspect the club stepped in, slapped Bemitez around the head a few times with a wet kipper, and asked him ' Wooooo silly ********! Just WTF do you think you're doing? Call Chelsea NOW and say thanks but NO thanks! (Or something like that ..... ).

We'll never know but man did you come close to signing him. Benitez at his ridiculous (not so) best.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Liverpool off back out to the States next summer for all you reds out there to look forward to.

Boston confirmed already.

Hail.

YES.

Soldado offically a Spur. Could be their missing link. I wonder what they'd use that money towards if they do cash in on Bale. That's a lot of dough.

Three or four World class players if they have any sense Ghost. Not sure why 'Spurs are dragging their heals. I don't care who the player is. £ 85 million gets offered you snap Madrids hand off.

L'pool bid £ 21 million for some Brazilian at Atletico who scored a whopping TEN league goals last year. Here we go again ......

Spending the Suarez money already whatever that dick Ayre has to say to the contrary.

Hail.

It really is a great opportunity. Too often the US has "sent" the final product to Europe. I think it's great to be able to send someone at the (near) beginning of his development curve.

Between him and Ben Lederman at Barcelona, it doesn't mean we produce great players yet—but that the raw material is here. It's our stupid youth system that retards their growth as players. I was talking with a coach over in Bethesda whose son is actually friends with that 16YO Zelalem over at Arsenal that they're excited about and he said he came to the US more advanced than his peers already at age 9. 

Both those kids are from California. What are those guys in California doing that the rest of us are not??

Nothing against Hispanics either, but if you were told that a player out of SoCal was sent to RM or Barca, most would guess he's hispanic. I'm not racial profiling but the first two kids we sent to the major Spanish powers' academies are respectively Indian (South Asian) and Jewish. 

Additionally, they're going not as young LeBron Jameses or young Derek Jeters—which most Americans seem obssessed about where our success in world soccer lies (the "best athletes" theory), Ben was asked because of his skills and his brain and it seems Joshua is brought over at least for his skills on the ball. Not speed. Not power. 

Three or four World class players if they have any sense Ghost. Not sure why 'Spurs are dragging their heals. I don't care who the player is. £ 85 million gets offered you snap Madrids hand off.

L'pool bid £ 21 million for some Brazilian at Atletico who scored a whopping TEN league goals last year. Here we go again ......

Spending the Suarez money already whatever that dick Ayre has to say to the contrary.

Hail.

I assume you mean Diego Costa. Not sure how I feel about it honestly. From all accounts, he's a downright ****. Worse than Suarez from some of the accounts. But he's (fairly) young, got called up earlier this year to his national team, and actually scored 20 times last year, but 12 of them came in the domestic cup and Europe.

Supposedly there was some interest in Osvaldo as well, who is kind of a hot head himself. Maybe Rodgers is trying to build an attack of assholes. Aspad, Suarez, and whoever they add sure would spice things up agains the Mancs and those Blue fairies from over yonder.

Regardless, I think that price is wayyyy to high. Micky would have been worth the dough, but I think its a huge indicator of where the club is right now. They probably could get someone better or younger for that much cash, but when you have no European games on your schedule, you're just not the hottest commodity out there. i firmly believe Mkhitaryan would be ours if we had cracked the Top 4 last year.

It Between him and Ben Lederman at Barcelona, it doesn't mean we produce great players yet—but that the raw material is here. It's our stupid youth system that retards their growth as players. I was talking with a coach over in Bethesda whose son is actually friends with that 16YO Zelalem over at Arsenal that they're excited about and he said he came to the US more advanced than his peers already at age 9. 

What about Michael Bradley? Landon Donovan? Clint Dempsey?

What about the others who went to European clubs as kids and didnt make it in MLS? (there are a lot)

I agree its good to see, but I feel the odds are these wont end up as professionals. The real value may be in what they learn and potentially become coaches in the future, but I feel you should slow down on just bashing the USA coaching system like the country has produced nothing. 

..... and those Blue fairies from over yonder......

LMAO! That is my new favourite quote. On Monday when I'm not working off the cell and have more time I need to incorporate that into my sig.

Brilliant ha ha.

Hail.

It's only an apt description. Merseysides b squad should be pleased jus tto be acknowledged, honestly.

It Between him and Ben Lederman at Barcelona, it doesn't mean we produce great players yet—but that the raw material is here. It's our stupid youth system that retards their growth as players. I was talking with a coach over in Bethesda whose son is actually friends with that 16YO Zelalem over at Arsenal that they're excited about and he said he came to the US more advanced than his peers already at age 9. 

What about Michael Bradley? Landon Donovan? Clint Dempsey?

What about the others who went to European clubs as kids and didnt make it in MLS? (there are a lot)

I agree its good to see, but I feel the odds are these wont end up as professionals. The real value may be in what they learn and potentially become coaches in the future, but I feel you should slow down on just bashing the USA coaching system like the country has produced nothing. 

I think its noteworthy the differences in between American talent development, versus international. Over here, we dont really start getting into representation and accolades until adolescence at the earliest, but even then talent really begins to gain hype closer to 18. And even then, you usually have to play some college ball for any of the major sports, and go pro in your early twenties on average. Then you develop some more until youre a vet.

Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, and others before them that have succeeded else where (Reyna, McBride, Keller) were all significantly older than their European teammates when making their debuts. I think this allows playesr to really develop later in their career. Conversely, look at the English model. Michael Owen was used up before he even turned 25. Wayne Rooney was ending historical runs with his right foot at 16 years old.

Over here, nobody really acknowledges you as the next big thing until youre either players big time college ball or going pro. Over there, every club wants to sign the newest darling starlet. Liverpool caught a lot of flack last season for overplaying their "next big thing" in Raheem Sterling. He was 17 at the time.

I dunno, just an observation.

Yeah . . . Bradley spent his developmental years in the US with his dad. Who I actually got to play for as a youth player. Donovan moved to Germany when he was 16/17 and couldn't hack it. Dempsey didn't go to England till he was 24. And they're role players for non Champion's League squads. 

What about the other kids? Did they go to Barca or RM? The only other close one was John O'Brien and he was 17 when he went to Ajax. 

Dani Karbasiyoon from VA played for Arsenal's senior team but he was 19 went he went over. 

You know nothing about the youth development system in this country and what it's doing/producing. Out of 300 million people, by your account, we have a handful of "top" players—yes, there's something wrong with the system. Development, identification . . . we are falling short. Compared to Spain or Germany right now who have B teams good enough to compete with the world and still have U21s knocking on the door, yeah, there's something wrong with the system.  

We'll exclude keepers because there's a reason we've produce a good amount of them. 

I think its noteworthy the differences in between American talent development, versus international. Over here, we dont really start getting into representation and accolades until adolescence at the earliest, but even then talent really begins to gain hype closer to 18. And even then, you usually have to play some college ball for any of the major sports, and go pro in your early twenties on average. Then you develop some more until youre a vet.

Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, and others before them that have succeeded else where (Reyna, McBride, Keller) were all significantly older than their European teammates when making their debuts. I think this allows playesr to really develop later in their career. Conversely, look at the English model. Michael Owen was used up before he even turned 25. Wayne Rooney was ending historical runs with his right foot at 16 years old.

Over here, nobody really acknowledges you as the next big thing until youre either players big time college ball or going pro. Over there, every club wants to sign the newest darling starlet. Liverpool caught a lot of flack last season for overplaying their "next big thing" in Raheem Sterling. He was 17 at the time.

I dunno, just an observation.

College ball IS a big part of the problem. 

We ask our best players to peak when they are 22 in college. What is the peak years for a professional player 25? 27?

Between 16 and 22, European kids are in a year round environment where development is the focus not winning stupid meaningless games. In college, coaches have limited contact with their players to a fraction of the year. Part of that time, if you're an underclassman you're riding the pine instead of playing regularly—so you might not see regular matches for a year or two. 

The quality of college play has gotten better in the last two years. Colleges like Akron are raising the standard. I think it was the NCAA final 5 years ago between St. Johns and UMD, it was a long-ball fest. Just ugly soccer. 

As far as Michael Owen, I think the game evolved away from the type of striker he was and the knee injury just did him in. He was a speed player and he lost a step after the injury.