Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

*You guys should YouTube that game just to see what 'proper' soccer used to be about.

I was educated on the history by my Dad. I was merely a thought in my Dad's head at the time. I have seen it, and yes, that was one of the first things you couldn't help but notice, the physicality. But even more amazing was the sublime and proper crowds in juxtaposition to the heated action on the field (in our lifetime that concept has been reversed). And especially poignant too, were the players that popped right up after each takedown and kept playing. You could tell it was tough ball, school-yard rules and that's always when the best games take place - in the school-yard some autumn afternoon when no one is watching, or in this case, one spring afternoon - except here, everyone was watching in '70. 

bits of match #1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awdy0P_ujNs

recap of match #1, total play of match #2, FA Replay:

• Like 1

That was the most surreal day Mr C.

Great post  :)

Happy memories indeed. It was a great day - to add another twist Eric Cantona was a Leeds player that season and he came on as a sub and set up the winner for Leeds which is not something Man U fans like to remember given the icon he became at Old Trafford. The game I recall in the run most though is Man U away at West Ham - I was listening to it on the radio. The Hammers were a bad team that year (they might have gone down) and Utd battered them but just could not score and West Ham nicked a goal and won 1-0. That was the result which opened the door for us. 

Cantona set the late winner up? Lol. I'd forgotten that. Brilliant irony. Why did he turncoat by the way the year after? The rumors about him and Chapman's misses Leslie Ash were rife at the time like but you know what rumors are. 

The Leslie Ash story is what we all heard at the time (and to be fair pre surgery I would have as well!) Eric Cantona and Howard Wilkinson were not exactly a marriage made in heaven either. Cantona had been in and out of the Leeds side with Chapman having scored 30 odd goals in the title year and I think Howard decided Cantona just was not worth the headache. In retrospect we virtually gave him away ....

As for Gary Mac he was a brilliant player for Leeds - one of the last of the old style midfielders who could could put his foot on the ball, create time and pick out a through ball and create chances. He did not run around a lot - at Leeds he David Batty to do his running for him - a bit like Glenn Hoddle he played in the centre circle but everything we did was set up to go through him. He scored quite a few as well and took a heck of a free kick.

McAllister, Batty, Speed and Strachan was a heck of a midfield four back then! 

• Like 1

The Leslie Ash story is what we all heard at the time (and to be fair pre surgery I would have as well!)  .....

Too right. But then she went and became a walking poster child for why NOT to have plastic surgery. 

Those lips man, lol. She looks like she's been through ten rounds with Tyson. 

Hail. 

*Edit* And yeah, that was one Hell of a talented midfield. (Bar Batty.). Same as the one that got you out of the second division with Hendrie who was also a very tidy winger. (Bar Jones.). Lol, to be fair, Jones and Batty did their jobs and did them well. Just a little out of place in the others company.  

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Lol. Monk, you're a ******! A funny ****** but a ****** all the same. I have NO idea why I like you.

To be clear, I spent more time in the Headmaster's office receiving demerits than conjugating verbs in some classes. And my Latin teacher (an Irish firecracker) could roll her R's with the fury of a lion tamer's whip.

To change tack a little good old Sepp Blatter has been quoted today as saying that the 2022 World Cup which is slated to take place in summer in Qatar should be moved to a winter competition. This is because they now have medical advice that it might be too hot for players health in the summer in Qatar.

This appears to have come as a surprise to Sepp.

From a European perspective this is a complete non starter as it would disrupt at least two season of league schedules to make room for the competition. The consequences of that from just the perspective of the TV contracts involved is so massive I just cant see how it could happen.

Frankly the whole idea of a World Cup in Qatar is a joke. I have been to Qatar and its essentially one city in a desert. Its gets to around 50 degrees in the summer month, and aside from the players how on earth are you are going to manage the fans of all the participating Countries in essentially one City.  Clearly the award was bought through the bribes and its about money but even then ....

I'd be interested in a non European perspective though?

To change tack a little good old Sepp Blatter has been quoted today as saying that the 2022 World Cup which is slated to take place in summer in Qatar should be moved to a winter competition. This is because they now have medical advice that it might be too hot for players health in the summer in Qatar.

This appears to have come as a surprise to Sepp.

From a European perspective this is a complete non starter as it would disrupt at least two season of league schedules to make room for the competition. The consequences of that from just the perspective of the TV contracts involved is so massive I just cant see how it could happen.

Frankly the whole idea of a World Cup in Qatar is a joke. I have been to Qatar and its essentially one city in a desert. Its gets to around 50 degrees in the summer month, and aside from the players how on earth are you are going to manage the fans of all the participating Countries in essentially one City.  Clearly the award was bought through the bribes and its about money but even then ....

I'd be interested in a non European perspective though?

from a non European perspective...

I agree with you. Its too hot, the football team isnt good enough, and changing the FIFA calender for clubs to accommodate it is a joke. 

As if that gutless lil' English hating rat Platini wasn't bad enough running UEFA, the head guy yet again proves what a complete, incompetent buffoon he is. Hell, Blatters only still in the position through the vote rigging in the CONCACAF region (is his main cohort still in charge of the Trinidadian FA?); so it came as no surprise to anyone that Russia and Qatar bought the next two joke World Cup finals after next summers. I'd love to see him try force the Councils hand on this. The European backlash would be epic toward FIFA. I'd even go as far as to say a blanket boycott from the major Nations wouldn't be out of the question.

And where's Platini's response on Europes behalf to this ? ..... Exactly. Gutless lil' ****!

Hail.

Sepp is a complete moron. This was done purely as a nod to Emirate money, with no thought of the fans that come to see the matches. WTF are you supposed to do in Dubai?

On another note, I'm getting pissed at Wenger. Moyes is publicly talking about bringing Cesc to United. A.) Who the **** is Moyes and  B.) Why isn't Wenger throwing money to bring him back to the Emirates instead? 

We probably don't need Cesc right now but this is bull****. 

I think it's more and more evident that while Wenger can do miracles with average talent on the pitch, the incoming transfers of established players are not his forte. FML.

Sepp is a complete moron. This was done purely as a nod to Emirate money, with no thought of the fans that come to see the matches. WTF are you supposed to do in Dubai?

There is quite a lot you can do in Dubai - although playing football is not one of the things I would choose. Fans would have a ball in Dubai (though the 'local' US and European expats would be pulling their hair out at the invasion of their playground). Qatar is a very different place and animal - much stricter Islamic laws and attitudes.

I've been to two World Cups, three if you count the US. There is a lot of downtime when you're not watching soccer—I don't see how there's enough to do for a month. I haven't been but we do business there and my colleagues echo the idea that while it's an exciting city (Dubai). I'm sure the Emirs will do what they do best and throw money at the problem, lest they look like complete idiots on the world stage. 

I mentioned Dubai. But I meant Doha. 2022 is in Qatar, not Doha. 

It's idiotic to have it in the desert in the summer. But it is almost a decade away and I think the pro leagues can make plans to deviate from their normal schedule.

I've been to two World Cups, three if you count the US. There is a lot of downtime when you're not watching soccer—I don't see how there's enough to do for a month. I haven't been but we do business there and my colleagues echo the idea that while it's an exciting city (Dubai). I'm sure the Emirs will do what they do best and throw money at the problem, lest they look like complete idiots on the world stage. 

I mentioned Dubai. But I meant Doha. 2022 is in Qatar, not Doha. 

It's idiotic to have it in the desert in the summer. But it is almost a decade away and I think the pro leagues can make plans to deviate from their normal schedule.

OK , yes Doha makes more sense  :)

It was a crazy award from the start - the whole Country of Qatar has a population of around 250,000k and there are more foreign workers than native Qataris. Its IS the richest Country in the World though which I think gives us a clue as go why and how it got the award in the first place. 

I do business in the Middle East and have travelled extensively around the region. Qatar is not a place I would think of going on a holiday - strict Islamic law, one official store selling alcohol outside the main hotels, stoning to death is still part of their legal code for heavens sake! Thats before you even think about the climate the lunacy of trying to play football in high 40's to 50's temperatures.

It will be interesting to see how Blatter and FIFA try to wriggle out of this self made mess. 

I still got it wrong the second time. Let's try again. 2022 is in Qatar not DUBAI/UAE.  phew.

Yeah, Qatar is pretty strict. It'll be interesting from many standpoints. One good thing is that all the venues will be close together, I don't think that's happened before. It's smaller than Connecticut (5,000 sq miles)—which is good for fans. 

Another "side" feature of world cups is the, um, sex-trade. It was a big issue in Germany. Not sure how that will fly in Qatar. The main "side" feature of world cups is the alcohol consumption, how's that going to fly in in Qatar? I know "infidels" aren't held to the standard but you also can't be publicly drunk or drink publicly. 

Doha's not bad to visit for a week. It's actually good for family with Kids although I'm not sure how bitter English Fans will take to it when the 3 Lions are knocked out. Stick to the Hotels and you'll think you are in Miami.

But it's brutal during the summer, it was hitting the mid 80s in November.

Talking Barca, the Coach Vilanova is sadly stepping down due to health issues.

Good luck with your continued fight against that horrid disease Sir. Sport pails into insignificance when the Big C hits as hard as this.

God bless.

Hail.

FREE FRED! MAKE THE PEOPLE HAPPY!

Regarding 3 Lions. That's not really a nickname for the English team is it? A recent development that ESPN is pushing on us? For the first 30 years of my life, I never heard them called that. Then in the last 5, it's been 3 lions this and that. Someone enlighten me.

Just look at the badge/ crest of the FA E.

The English National team represents the English FA, so they sport the crest with three lions. Always have done since their first ever International way back when.

Historically, it goes back to the 12 th century or so when 'Lions' were on the standard of different Kings army's going into battle. I know from the Crusades the great Richard the Lionheart had three golden lions on his standard. And Henry 1 was known as the Lion of England.

Those darn English and their traditions .....

Hail.

Just look at the badge/ crest of the FA E.

The English National team represents the English FA, so they sport the crest with three lions. Always have done since their first ever International way back when.

Historically, it goes back to the 12 th century or so when 'Lions' were on the standard of different Kings army's going into battle. I know from the Crusades the great Richard the Lionheart had three golden lions on his standard. And Henry 1 was known as the Lion of England.

Those darn English and their traditions .....

Hail.

The crest actually has 3 leopards on it not 3 Lions - they look like Lions and that's what everyone refers to them as but back in the time of the Crusades they were referred to as leopards and that's their heraldic name. 3 Lions is what everyone would think of though looking at the shirt (same with the England cricket team). Edited by MartinC

The crest actually has 3 leopards on it not 3 Lions - they look like Lions and that's what everyone refers to them as but back in the time of the Crusades they were refereed to as leopards and that's their heraldic name. 3 Lions is what everyone would think of though looking at the shirt (same with the England cricket team).

Reina on loan to Napoli?

Unless there's an agreement with Barca for next year when Valdes is up, why not just sell him?

Hail.

That was my thought as well. I suppose it gets him off the wage bill but are Liverpool in the sort of financial shape were they need to get high earners off the wage bill to bring in other players? Maybe Reina had made it clear he wanted out and Liverpool did not want the headache of him around the dressing room in a strop and took the only concrete offer on the table to get him away.