Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Wow...all the stuff that the let Brasil get away with and then a straight red to Pique

Stop. That red was obvious, he raised his leg and was the last defender. Brazil may have gotten some small calls but it hasn't been much and lets not forget that Spain was awarded a PK.... and missed it. Brazil dominated this game.

Who cares it doesn't take away from the blatantly cheating style Brazil did. All tourney they knocked down players from with cheap kicks to the leg to prevent attacks.  What's the point of having a World Cup next year if Brazil can do that.  No one is gonna win if they can do that everytime.

You'll never see Spain play as bad as that again. They just weren't at the races and everything that could of gone wrong did go wrong. Which is to take nothing away from Beazil who had a great night and wanted it far more than the Spanish.

That said, I still aren't fully convinced with Brazil. There's a few ordinary, VERY over-hyped players I'm that group. Home field and momentum will doubtless carry them far. But my money's still on Spain to retain with the biggest threat cong not from Brazil but Argentina.

Hail.

Oh yeah, Piqué left the red no option on the sending off. Last man. Cynical foul. Little debate.

Everything that could go wrong for Dpain did go wrong.

Hail.

Who cares it doesn't take away from the blatantly cheating style Brazil did. All tourney they knocked down players from with cheap kicks to the leg to prevent attacks. What's the point of having a World Cup next year if Brazil can do that. No one is gonna win if they can do that everytime.

I didnt see it that way at all.

Sometimes I can't get soccer I like Brasil everyone says they are soft and can't take physical play, this game they were the aggressors and now they are dirty. I watch Brasil vs Italy last week and you talk about a dirty team the Italians were straight mauling at times.

It sounds like a couple butt hurt Spain fans mad that they got dominated.

Sometimes I can't get soccer I like Brasil everyone says they are soft and can't take physical play, this game they were the aggressors and now they are dirty. I watch Brasil vs Italy last week and you talk about a dirty team the Italians were straight mauling at times.

It sounds like a couple butt hurt Spain fans mad that they got dominated.

I'm a US fan sir.  It's one thing to be aggressive. It's another to be using cheap shots to prevent the other team from threatening. Half of why Spain couldn't get passes going is they got clipped in the back of the leg by Brazilians.  This was on purpose.  Even the announcers pointed it out and said the ref needed to book them for this tactic.It's unsportmanslike.  Any team is gonna lose if you allow the the other to consistently take cheap shots. The irony is while they take these cheap kicks to the back of the leg you got ones like Neymar acting like someone cut his leg off with a sword.  He better stop that crap at Barca. I despise that junk and he didn't make any friends with his future teammates pulling that crap.

I thought Brazil played a physical but legal game. Spain have gotten their share of "cheap" calls. Spain couldn't handle the physicality and Brazil were very disruptive. 

Why would Neymar stop that at Barca?? Apart from Messi, they're the worst when it comes to flopping and whining to the ref. 

Personally, I like Spain, but I enjoyed seeing them get **** slapped. 

Brazil was physical but it wasnt their kicks to legs that killed Spain. They completely interrupted Spain passing midfield game with their speed and got a lot of turnovers where Spain is used to dominating the ball. They pushed the ball from there and the tactic allowed them to find a great deal of space in Spain's normally stingy defense. The game featured a dozen or more balls passed to brazilians even with the Spanish back line that they had to scramble to stop. The red card came on another such play where had an intentional foul not occurred this game likely ends 4 - 0. Spain looked old and slow.

Spain did look 'old and slow', but they've been complaining about the heat and humidity from when they first touched down in Brazil. They were exceptionally lucky to beat Italy in the semi, and from the moment Brazil scored in the first minute they were in the plane home and their long overdue vacations.

No doubt the obituary writers will start sounding the death knell on this generation of wonderful Spaniards which would be folly at best. I'd fully expect them to be fully prepared physically next summer knowing what to expect now in Beazil and for the current group to have one last hurrah before the next wonderful generation starts getting integrated into the full National side.

Spain had an off-day. Everything they tied went wrong and they didn't have nearly the same heart or desire as Beazil. **** happens. That amazing 29 game unbeaten competitive run had to end sometime.

All credit to Brazil. They wanted it more and fully deserved the rewards for that desire. But write the double Euro/ World champs off at your peril.

Hail.

Wow...all the stuff that the let Brasil get away with and then a straight red to Pique

Stop. That red was obvious, he raised his leg and was the last defender. Brazil may have gotten some small calls but it hasn't been much and lets not forget that Spain was awarded a PK.... and missed it. Brazil dominated this game.

Who cares it doesn't take away from the blatantly cheating style Brazil did. All tourney they knocked down players from with cheap kicks to the leg to prevent attacks. What's the point of having a World Cup next year if Brazil can do that. No one is gonna win if they can do that everytime.

You sounded exactly the same in the Nba thread talking about Miami and getting calls in their favor.

Thought Brazil played a good game. They didn't allow Spain to get in to a rhythm and dictate play.

I never really noticed before, but does Spain always take corners with only 2-3 guys max in the box? Seemed like such a waste. I get it that you don't have any big guys, but if that's the case then take a short pass and play the possession. Also I will never understand how a player at that level ever hits a PK that is not on frame. There is absolutely zero excuse for that.

Perhaps now soccer fans around the world will slowly remove their collective heads from Spain's collective ***es.

I never really noticed before, but does Spain always take corners with only 2-3 guys max in the box? Seemed like such a waste. I get it that you don't have any big guys, but if that's the case then take a short pass and play the possession. 

It varies. I think they were rightfully concerned about the counterattack potential that they kept more guys back than normal. 

There were a couple of instances on free kicks for Spain where Brazil countered really well.

It's a percentage game. Corners are pretty low percentage, so why commit more players when Neymar and Oscar can hurt you going the other way. Free kicks, more likely to score so extra bodies are good. 

If you feel your percentages are low off of the corner, then why not just play possession ball from there? Not that they were having much luck with that last night either.

And yea, I have no doubt Spain will be just fine moving forward. I just get tired of one team dominating unless of course it's my team.

Not sure why they wouldn't play the short corner. Probably just wanted to take that "long shot" and still put the corner kick into the box and hope for the best but still be ready cause they were likely going to lose possession? 

Any of you buying this heat humidity excuse from Spain??

All credit to Brazil. They wanted it more and fully deserved the rewards for that desire. But write the double Euro/ World champs off at your peril.

I agree that Spain is far from done. The confederations cup is fun to watch but it's hardly an indicator of who will win the world cup.  I will say that beating Brazil in Brazil won't be easy for any nation.    

There were no way for Alba and Arbeloa to handle Hulk/Neymar. Spain would have been better off playing Martinez with Busquets and left Torres at the airport. 

Not even just "handling" their mere presence held Alba back for the most part. I won't say that the overlapping back is integral to Spain's success but it takes a dimension away. He certainly poses problems for teams because you have another "attacker" and you're constantly faced with a "follow-don't follow" choice. 

Conversely, Dany Alves was pinned back too. I didn't see him making forays forward, but that could be a tactical choice—given his knowledge of Spain/Barca.

I REALLY liked Luis Gustavo. 

Gustavo and Paulinho really helped out when Marcelo was pushing forward. That's why I thought Spain should have tried out the double pivot with two holding mids. Brazil's wingers were just running by everybody.

And what happened to Pique, did Shakira sap all his energy.

I agree that Spain is far from done. The confederations cup is fun to watch but it's hardly an indicator of who will win the world cup.  I will say that beating Brazil in Brazil won't be easy for any nation.    

Oh no question, Something like 10 years since they last lost at home? Maybe more, I forget the exact duration, And they've only ever lost TWO competitive games in Rio. The last back in 1950. We saw last night, from that awesomely stirring rendition of the anthem how it transcended to the players and played a major part in Brazil's storming start.

Brazil will be up there with the holders as favourites. Maybe clear favourites now. But I still aren't fully convinced with the current squad.

Typical for Brazil, their very porous as always at the back. As good an option as they give in attack by pushing both full-backs on, if it breaks down there;s ACRES of space behind down both flanks with Marcello and Alves nowhere to be seen. And although he had a good tournament, Luis is by no means a center half. Classy ball playing midfielder with a heck of a shot on him. But a novice found wanting most times defensively.  And there's some VERY average, VERY over hyped players in that group. The two forwards, Fed and Hulk are nothing special at all even given Freds Confed. Cup heroics. I would imagine Jo will be out and Fabiano or Pato back in when fit which sill be an upgrade. And I'd still expect Kaka to find a way back into the final 23 for next summer. And of course there's still World class players like Thiago Silva, Oscar and Neymar. (Who SERIOUSLY needs to cut out the dramatics. I honestly didn't realise he was as bad as he is until this tourny. Which is a shame as he's got everything talent wise.). 

Scolari being a pragmatist will help as he's slowly molding a team rather than just a collection of talented individuals that presses high and can attack with Samba flair in your final third and score in an instant. But if they don't win it back, or lose out on the attack with those marauding full backs, they can easily be exploited at the back. 

Still a year away so a lot can change, but this is a good if not great Brazil team to me at present. Certainly not the calibre of the '70 side or the best side I've ever seen not to win the WC. The 1982 version. 

I still make Spain favourites with Argentina my darkhorse. But yeah, all that said, I wouldn't write out Brazil in Brazil at all. 

Hail. 

*Edit* Yes Elessar. I fully buy Spains 'humidity' cry as they've been saying it since they landed and the Italians have also noted the climate. That's why I think this Confed. Cup was SO important for the European teams. Both now have a MAJOR advantage on Germany, Holland, England and the rest next summer having experienced the Brazilian heat and humidity. 

How fit your squad is next summer will play a MAJOR part in who ultimately wins out. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I am really hoping for an Argentina v Brasil World Cup final

My 'darkhorse' team is Belgium and fully expect Germany to be in the final

**edit**

I really want USA in the final, but I am a realist..

Edited by jobaga

You sounded exactly the same in the Nba thread talking about Miami and getting calls in their favor.

Really? This is your response?  What does my view on the NBA finals have to do with the this thread?  Nothing. 

Announcers even pointed out what Brazil was doing all tourney long and said it needs to be eliminated.  Kicking a player's leg from them from behind is not a defensive style.  More than warrants a yellow too.  Especially when its purpose. 

Sidenote:

http://s218.photobucket.com/user/Embroglio89/media/neymarlol_zps84a939f8.gif.html