Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Never made sense to sell a rival your best player. I'm sure Rodgers feels, and why wouldn't he, that the last CL spot is up for grabs. 

I'm sure he does and I would expect nothing less. I feel his job may well depend on it in today's 'what have you done for me lately?' game.

In reality though, we're a LONG way off the top 4. I'm sticking with my prediction of 6th. Which should garner a Europa League place given the top 5 usually sweep up the cups. 

But will the Europa League be enough to appease the owners and give him the time to see the rebuild through?

Hail. 

I think he's generally safe as long as he produces amount of wins that ownership feels the team are capable of. I think the big wildcard/joker in the whole thing is what other manager is available and willing to take the liverpool job. There seems to be a limit on the number of managers linked with high profile jobs and they all just play musical chairs throughout europe. 

Hypothetically, Liverpool finish 6th but Jurgen Klopp is all of a sudden available and is interested—I think it destabilizes BR's job. 

How do you feel about Arsene E?

I appreciate all the good will he's built up in his early days at the club. And on your day you're still the most attractive side bar none to watch in England for me. But you're now looking at 8 going into 9 years removed from your last trophy. And at the end of this season 10 years removed from your last title. Which for a club of Arsenals stature, particularly in today's game ..... well let's just say it never ceases to amaze me how he hangs on in there at the Emirates. 

I respect the heck out of Wenger. His principles have to be admired. But if I were an Arsenal fan, I'd be swaying the other way. The frustrations 3 days from the start of the season, with no signing outside of the 'obligatory' 19 year old French prospect must be immense. Even more so as he has the major resources at his disposal. As much as I admire his principles, someone seriously needs to shake him and let it be known he's there to win silverware. Not balance the books. 

I don't know man. As much as I'd have the utmost respect for him as an Arsenal fan, I'd be asking SERIOUS questions as to just how much longer this can continue with his usual 'we'll be great when the kids mature' tedium. 

Arsenal should have FAR higher aspirations than just settling for the top 4 season in, season out. (And Fernerbache is by NO means a given. I can honestly see you in the Europa League after the qualifier.). 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Wenger. He's a great trainer, can get the most out of his players. His physical conditioning methods need analysis—why are his players always hurt? Maybe he needs to use Barca's "medical" staff (cough, cough, elbow, wink). His teams play a sublime style of football that if he had some of the best players in the world would be tough to beat, IMO.

He's a great visionary in that he saw the need to modernize Arsenal's facilities and stadium to compete in the next century. 

His financial acumen is top notch BUT it's out of step with reality. He wants to buy players on the cheap but there is nothing rational about the market for players, like there is in say the stock market. 

No doubt, he looks like a clown. I don't know if he bragged about the war chest or Gazidis did but that was a poor move. Now you're just a guy with a lot of money but no one wants to take it—he's damaged goods. I don't think any player doubts that Wenger can make him a better player but at the level that Arsenal are competing those players aren't looking to be made into better players. They want to be on winning teams. It's sad for Wenger but Ferguson outfoxed him in not spending too much on transfers. Ferguson got burned by a few big money signings. 

If we had a squad, I wouldn't be too worried about Fenerbahce. We just seem to be limpingi nto the season. 

This should be Wenger and Gazidis' last year at the club. This transfer window has been an abject failure, especially after all the big talk.

Arsenal doesn't even play exciting football anymore. Spurs are more entertaining than Arsenal, and have been for the last two seasons.

This should be Wenger and Gazidis' last year at the club. This transfer window has been an abject failure, especially after all the big talk.

Arsenal doesn't even play exciting football anymore. Spurs are more entertaining than Arsenal, and have been for the last two seasons.

I'll bow to those that watch Arsenal on a regular basis' better judgement, but for me on their day there's still no side in England, and not many across the Continent, that can match the free flowing, attacking passing football Wenger's sides produce. 

They still have a tendency to overplay in the wrong areas, something he never has compromised on, But from afar I'd beg to differ that his sides are not still thoroughly entertaining. 

Hail. 

Despite having "substandard" options at striker apart from the great RVP year, Arsenal have finished 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd the last 4 seasons. Probably would've been higher except for resident choke artists: Ramsey, Bendtner, Gervinho mucking up easy put aways. 

It's not even what Arsenal do, it's how the majority of teams choose to play us: tight and compact, denying the counter. Watch what happens when teams play us "open".

I'll throw up Dortmund as playing an appealing, attacking but different style (at least from a perception standpoint). Arsenal, statistically, play the most forward passes in the league (and are consistently at the top). Dortmund, nearly every pass is forward and they are very direct. The difference occurs in the attacking third: Dortmund are very willing to risk the ball to break through while Arsenal are not. Both are valid approaches.

Arsenal play a brand of football that works—they just don't have the highest caliber of players to execute it. Cazorla, Wilshere, Ramsey are great and almost there. Arteta is good but aging poor man's Alonso. Ox will one day be there. I think Theo and Giroud are  going to have a breakout year. Arguably, if the the players that left simply stayed—we'd be there already. I think we're soft in the back. But you need MORE quality players to get you through injuries, performance slumps, and all the competitions. 

FIFA statistics show that most goals are scored during possessions consisting of 5 to 7 passes—this is more along the lines of Ferguson and Dortmund's thinking. 

I'll bow to those that watch Arsenal on a regular basis' better judgement, but for me on their day there's still no side in England, and not many across the Continent, that can match the free flowing, attacking passing football Wenger's sides produce. 

They still have a tendency to overplay in the wrong areas, something he never has compromised on, But from afar I'd beg to differ that his sides are not still thoroughly entertaining. 

Hail. 

Its not what it used to be. There has been a fall in the club's football since the 2007-8 season when Arsenal were arguably the best team in Europe (until injuries hit) and played the best.

There is no penetration in the attacking 3rd now. Passing is cool, but if you pass and nothing comes of it you look like Brendan Rodgers at Swansea or earlier last year at Liverpool. Its pretty dull and unimaginative.

Spurs play like mavericks.

Other sources are now walking back the Suarez claim. Who knows what's true anymore. Madness!

Arsenal fans were trolling on twitter. Who knows if what that journalist said is true, but Suarez did not say anything after the match today.

For you US based reds:

2014 Pre-season.

The game in Boston vs. Roma has been confirmed. And I have it on good authority that they'll also defo be a game in San Francisco against as yet unconfirmed opposition. 

I will keep you guys updated on anything concrete. (Not into rumours. Just reliable sources,). But LFC are defo doing the States again which should make you all happy. 

Hail. 

It was online trolling by Arsenal fans, but apparently Suarez has not said anything about signing a new contract or staying.

BBC: Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker has not told club he wants to stay

And so the sorry debacle continues .....

Still have a gut feeling both Luis and Rooney will be playing elsewhere by the end of the window but we shall see. 

Hail. 

Wow Richmond Kicker wrap up the regular season title(thus ending Orlando's 2 year streak).  They knocked off Orlando tonight at home with a  raucous supporter section (River City Red Army).  Literally the supporter section got so under Orlando's skin one player walked over and threatened to kill the supporter section.  RCRA went after their MLS ambitions, their disney affiliations,etc.  The chants for the home team were phenonmental. A penalty was called against Richmond when a OC player flopped in the box to act as thought our keeper clipped him.  The Supporter section rattled him so much he blasted it about 6 yards over the bar.

post-200488-0-85379700-1376540857_thumb.

post-200488-0-56037500-1376540869_thumb.

post-200488-0-01451400-1376540981_thumb.

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Like 1

Just how cool is this Eindhoven kid bless him? Everything soccer is that American sports isn't right there in 30 seconds or so:

Hail. 

*Edit* Congrats Richmond. The less said about DCU's continued abject suckiness the better. Surely Olsen's gone at the end of the season once the 3 year guaranteed deal is up?

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I'm sure he does and I would expect nothing less. I feel his job may well depend on it in today's 'what have you done for me lately?' game.

In reality though, we're a LONG way off the top 4. I'm sticking with my prediction of 6th. Which should garner a Europa League place given the top 5 usually sweep up the cups. 

But will the Europa League be enough to appease the owners and give him the time to see the rebuild through?

Hail. 

If he gets you a top 6 finish I think you would be silly to make a change. He needs to be given time and some support in the transfer market for the owners to set realistic targets of top 4 finishes. If your floundering around the 9 or 10 spot though .......

On Suarez I think he is just accepting the reality that he will not move in this window and trying to put out the fire on the bridge he burnt down. I'd be surprised if he does not move in January though and I'm sure Rogers is planning on that assumption in terms of a replacement.

Just how cool is this Eindhoven kid bless him? Everything soccer is that American sports isn't right there in 30 seconds or so:

Hail. 

*Edit* Congrats Richmond. The less said about DCU's continued abject suckiness the better. Surely Olsen's gone at the end of the season once the 3 year guaranteed deal is up?

Olsen is pretty well screwed.  Good guy but his season last year has began to look like serious luck.  At least some of the DCU loaned to us get to perhaps hold a trophy though.  Well another one.  We claimed the Reg Season Cup but now we need to finish the job at home where we're undefeated.  Dystra loves it here in Richmond.  The crowd gives him alot of love for the saves he pulls off and occasionally the fans help him out like that PK last night where the fans got in the player's head and caused him to blast it completely over the bar.  Dystra gave a quick clap at the supporter section for that.

How do you feel about Arsene E? . . .

With Luiz Gustavo leaning toward going to Napoli, I think it underscores my point that Arsenal are fighting a perception problem. No one wants to come here and prefer to go to a club that has done nothing of note recently and is relatively new to champion's league football and who is managed by Rafa. 

The one thing I hear more about recently too is how agents play a big role on where a player ends up. Not sure how true that is. 

So I presume from that they only open one side of the ground up for Kickers games?

Hail. 

Yep,  some stupid Richmond rule about stuff.  Apparently our supporter group is under investigation for racial comments.   Why?  Because that OCSC player that threatened to kill the supporter section(Down 2-0 at halftime) claimed racial comments were made.  Shocker.  OCSC gets their butt kicked and suddenly one of their players bitterly plays the race card.  This is why USL teams hate them.  If they lose they have to find a way to get revenge.