Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Who knows... I'm more convinced that they have one dude on a laptop who serves as the "scouting department" and anytime LFC goes after a player they do the same. 

:lol: You may not be too far wrong. 

Does he get anytime this weekend you think?

Cissokho? I highly doubt it. Maybe on the bench at best. I doubt Rogers changes the XI after last Saturday's showing. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

:lol: You may not be too far wrong. 

Cissokho? I highly doubt it. Maybe on the bench at best. I doubt Rogers changes the XI after last Saturday's showing. 

Hail. 

I'm okay with that as long as Enrique doesn't start feeling himself in the offensive third and wasting opportunities. lol

EDIT:  As you said, he's a hero in his own comic book.  Focus on the defense, man.

Edited by DC9

I'm okay with that as long as Enrique doesn't start feeling himself in the offensive third and wasting opportunities. lol

EDIT:  As you said, he's a hero in his own comic book.  Focus on the defense, man.

Man, don't get me started. For WAY too long now we've had a succession of full-backs, both sides, that can't defend. Even highly experienced International vets. like Johnson continually get caught out of position and the wrong side of their man. 

Do the basics first and foremost. And the bread and butter of your job is to defend. I'm all for attacking full-back play in support. Hell, one of our greatest ever defenders and captains, Phil Neal, totally redefined the position into the attacking full-back we see today. But one thing 'Zico' always took care of first and foremost was his defensive responsibilities. 

Like you say, 'focus on the defense, man.' Everything else above and beyond that is gravy. 

Hail. 

Congratulations Arsenal. That is an outstanding result all the way out there.

Lucky, lucky Chelsea. Stonewall penalty for a handball by Terry deep in injury time not given. I'll be happy with a draw at Villa Sat'day all things considered and 4 points our of 6 to start the year. 

Hail. 

Funny, you don't hear Lambert complaining about the fixtures like Moyes. All Villa had to do is play at Arsenal Saturday, at Chelsea mid-week then host Liverpool on Saturday...

Edited by jobaga
  • Like 1

I hope Toure is ready to step up this weekend. Benteke is only getting better, and he terrorized us last season. We struggle with players like him.

Disappointed we didn't get Willian. Even more disappointed he went to Tottenham. Bad enough that we lost our 3rd big money buy, but to them makes it worse. At first I thought it was a sign that Bale was gone for sure, but Bale played more centrally last season when he thrived. Still though, I see him going.

I haven't heard a Suarez rumor in days, which can only mean that shenanigans will occur. Its inevitable. If he is still here to Sept 2, it'd be like having a new signing almost. One that scored 30+ times for us last season.

Supposedly Napoli made an offer of 10mil for Skrtel, but I don't think we'll bite this late. Maybe in June, when we could have focused on using that money towards Papadapolous, but now I think it won't happen.

It'd be awesome if we got Lamela. But of course, he's linked with Tottenham.

I hope Toure is ready to step up this weekend. Benteke is only getting better, and he terrorized us last season. We struggle with players like him.

Disappointed we didn't get Willian. Even more disappointed he went to Tottenham. Bad enough that we lost our 3rd big money buy, but to them makes it worse. At first I thought it was a sign that Bale was gone for sure, but Bale played more centrally last season when he thrived. Still though, I see him going.

I haven't heard a Suarez rumor in days, which can only mean that shenanigans will occur. Its inevitable. If he is still here to Sept 2, it'd be like having a new signing almost. One that scored 30+ times for us last season.

Supposedly Napoli made an offer of 10mil for Skrtel, but I don't think we'll bite this late. Maybe in June, when we could have focused on using that money towards Papadapolous, but now I think it won't happen.

It'd be awesome if we got Lamela. But of course, he's linked with Tottenham.

It looks like the Erickson rumors are popping up again...

Rafa did try to raid us again for Skrtel, but the official line out of the club is they turned it down due to the Coates injury and lack of depth. Which at the moment is the prudent thing to do as outside of the top two he's the only real experienced centre-half we have. Be interesting if Napoli up what was already a very good offer though.

Not heard anything on Lamela or Erickson of late. But yeah, 'Spurs are being heavily tipped to have Lamela in place before the deadline. DC might of been onto something with his joke line about them sitting and waiting to see who our targets are. Bright lights of London. *******! For their sake they'd better be banking on selling Bale or they could be headed for Harry Redknapp like financial trouble. 

The BBC are reporting Arsenal are now heavily interested in both Benzema and Di Maria: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23790314 Now if we could hijack one of/ both of those two; either in cash or with Suarez involved, that would be a sweet end to the summer dealings. 

Hail. 

I have and he certainly does. 

This IS a simple game oft complicated by modern coaches like Rafa who think their cleverer than they actually are.

I could go on and on about Mourinho, but that's another thing that always stands out when any of his players talk about him. How enjoyable he makes training and how they all relish going into work everyday. Preseason for one will of been welcome this time at Chelsea again as the ball would of been out there from day one. You get fit to play. Not to run marathons. 

Hail. 

Do you remember Michael Robinson GHH? Came from PNE to Liverpool and then went off to end his career in Spain (where he did some TV work as well after he finished playing). After he went to Spain he still had a home in the Preston area and he used to come and do the first couple of weeks of preseason with the non League club I was playing for then to get a head start before he started back in Spain.

The first couple of weeks of preseason for us consisted almost entirely of running. We used to go to the sand dunes at Southport and run up down those bloody hills for what seemed like hours. Then there were endless shuttles, piggy back races etc etc and running round and round football pitches. We hardly saw a football for the first 2 weeks. Everyone did the same routine as well, I as a goalkeeper, was doing the same running as a midfield player.

Mike used to laugh and contrast that with what they did in Spain which was all based around work with a football -"no wonder British players have poor techniques" was the comment I recall. I hope things have improved as the years have gone on.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

If he goes down then they are screwed. 

Sadly I don't see any serious threat to them dropping out of the top four. But I equally don't see them challenging for the league and the drop off between themselves and Chelsea and City to increase as we go.

Utd's cycle is coming to an end. 

And yeah, the complete hypocrisy of him thinking he can now, because he's at Utd, bully Everton into accepting a ridiculous, and as you quite rightly point out highly insulting low ball offer for two major players after he was on the other side of that the past decade or so has to be seen to be believed. How quickly he forgets and things change when the shoes on the other foot. All credit to Everton for standing firm and telling it like it is.  

Hail. 

I agree with you on Utd being behind Chelsea and City now - and its in midfield that the difference lies. Utd cant match the quality and depth that Chelsea and City have the midfield and over a season with the number of matches and injuries thats going to be a problem for Moyes.

If Chelsea can get in another quality striker I fancy them for the title - right now too many times they lack the end product to fantastic build up play.

Yep.  Agger and Toure are going to have their hands full.  I liked what I saw out of Toure last week but this is a different style of play we'll face.

He'll be here.  I'm not worried about that.  I'm excited to give Coutino another option ;)

Not heard anything on Lamela or Erickson of late. But yeah, 'Spurs are being heavily tipped to have Lamela in place before the deadline. DC might of been onto something with his joke line about them sitting and waiting to see who our targets are. Bright lights of London. *******! For their sake they'd better be banking on selling Bale or they could be headed for Harry Redknapp like financial trouble. 

I'm telling you.  I'm convinced.  We need to tighten up our lips at Mercyside and start playing some counter intel.

I remember those day's well Martin. Great story. And I can just imagine fatty Robbo run up those dunes. (I'm using the word 'running' VERY loosely when it comes to Michael. Lol.).Was it Preston he came from? Seem to recall Brighton but you might be right. Remember him scoring a hat-trick down at West Ham which was just about the only goals he ever scored. Yet somehow he was a part of all three trophy's in the first treble winning season back in '84. He even came on in Rome against Roma for Kenny to help clinch # 4. 

Fatty Robbo a Lge/ Lge Cup/ European Cup treble winner. You couldn't make it up.   :lol:

wake me up on Sept 2. I'm tired of this transfer widow BS.

You should be in England E man. 

Your being linked with just about every European player that can walk. Whilst at the same time everyone is laughing and waiting for Wenger to **** whomever uo in the next Arsenal miss of the summer window.  :lol:

I feel your pain man. 

Hail. 

I remember those day's well Martin. Great story. And I can just imagine fatty Robbo run up those dunes. (I'm using the word 'running' VERY loosely when it comes to Michael. Lol.).Was it Preston he came from? Seem to recall Brighton but you might be right. Remember him scoring a hat-trick down at West Ham which was just about the only goals he ever scored. Yet somehow he was a part of all three trophy's in the first treble winning season back in '84. He even came on in Rome against Roma for Kenny to help clinch # 4. 

Fatty Robbo a Lge/ Lge Cup/ European Cup treble winner. You couldn't make it up.   :lol:

You should be in England E man. 

Your being linked with just about every European player that can walk. Whilst at the same time everyone is laughing and waiting for Wenger to **** whomever uo in the next Arsenal miss of the summer window.  :lol:

I feel your pain man. 

Hail. 

Robbo might have gone from Preston to Brighton before he went to Liverpool but he was definitely at Preston for a spell.

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 4m

Sky Sources: Chelsea in advanced talks to sign Willian from Anzhi #SSN

And boom goes the dynamite...

:lol:  I was just gona' post that. 

Been a real fun last 20 minutes catching up on the day. 

First good ol' Mourinho in to probably hijack 'Spurs plans after they hijacked ours. (Heart ..... bleeding for Tottenham.  :D .). (Just hope Chelsea still have enough left to bag Rooney.). 

Then those forward thinking English, World power that they (never were) 'are'; appoint Gareth Southgate as the Under-21 manager after his glittering managerial career playing majestic footb ..... Ahhhhhhhhh, spotted my own flaw there.  :lol:

And then to top off my reading, Arsenal look like making their first major signing of the summer. Experienced. International. Laterly played for one of the biggest clubs in the World. Step forward .....

Mathieu Flamini. The now no club free agent is about to re-sign for Arsenal. See Arsenal fans. Wenger had a plan all along.  :lol:

CHAMPIONSHIP! 

Hail.