Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Gustavo's signed a 5 year deal at Wolfsburg.

Which is a complete joke in itself for Arsenal to lose out to a club like that, 

Wenger misses out on another quality, experienced signing. Story of every summer. But at least you've gotten the obligatory 19 year old French prospect hey?

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Wondering if I should take a punt on Altidore for the opening week of my fantasy team? Cheap enough and they open at home to Fulham. 

Dude sure seems a far better player than the last time he was over here and man is he bang in form. 

Hail.

I have Sturridge and Bony in one league and Sturridge and Benteke in another

Edited by jobaga

a little rust in the first game, but possession and ball movement were impressive!

How good was that save by Mingolet on the PK?  I had a pit in my stomach after Aggar's handball!  Kid made a terrific save on a HUGE stage!

Anfield errupted after that, GHH!  Well done my brother!

#YNWA

Also, teams aren't going to be able to goon up on Couthino when the vampire gets back.  He's picked up where he left off in terms of facilitating.

Despite having "substandard" options at striker apart from the great RVP year, Arsenal have finished 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd the last 4 seasons. Probably would've been higher except for resident choke artists: Ramsey, Bendtner, Gervinho mucking up easy put aways. 

It's not even what Arsenal do, it's how the majority of teams choose to play us: tight and compact, denying the counter. Watch what happens when teams play us "open".

I'll throw up Dortmund as playing an appealing, attacking but different style (at least from a perception standpoint). Arsenal, statistically, play the most forward passes in the league (and are consistently at the top). Dortmund, nearly every pass is forward and they are very direct. The difference occurs in the attacking third: Dortmund are very willing to risk the ball to break through while Arsenal are not. Both are valid approaches.

Arsenal play a brand of football that works—they just don't have the highest caliber of players to execute it. Cazorla, Wilshere, Ramsey are great and almost there. Arteta is good but aging poor man's Alonso. Ox will one day be there. I think Theo and Giroud are  going to have a breakout year. Arguably, if the the players that left simply stayed—we'd be there already. I think we're soft in the back. But you need MORE quality players to get you through injuries, performance slumps, and all the competitions. 

FIFA statistics show that most goals are scored during possessions consisting of 5 to 7 passes—this is more along the lines of Ferguson and Dortmund's thinking. 

Just started following Arsenal and this is what I was going to post actually.

I've been studying the team extensively all summer long. 

The lack of transfers does suck though. The squad is one big time scorer away from serious contention

a little rust in the first game, but possession and ball movement were impressive!

How good was that save by Mingolet on the PK?  I had a pit in my stomach after Aggar's handball!  Kid made a terrific save on a HUGE stage!

Anfield errupted after that, GHH!  Well done my brother!

#YNWA

Also, teams aren't going to be able to goon up on Couthino when the vampire gets back.  He's picked up where he left off in terms of facilitating.

I thought Aspas played well in his debut as well. Coutinho is going to displace someone in the Brazilian starting eleven. I have a feeling he is going to have a monster year!

Insane calls today....

Granted AV is pushing the pace but jeez, they've been some lucky ****s

I kind of disagree...

I think the ref has had a pretty good game, except for the second penalty and subsequent yellow card. That mistake was compounded by the legit second yellow which resulted in the sending off. But, you could argue the first penalty was a red. 

It's unfortunate because the one bad call has completely influenced the game...

What a real good game to open the season with. Nice of Stoke to come to play for once too. 

Mingolet looked shaky. But a fantastic double save from the pen. (WTF Agger was doing is anyones guess.). Toure looked solid, and as noted above Aspas had a decent outing. Said it before on here but there's not a better English forward than Sturridge. That guy is ridiculously talented. And the interchanging between him, Aspas and Coutinho was great to see. 

Imperative we won our first two for me. Half way there. Real good showing. Just a pity we didn't end up with the goals we deserved in the final scoreline. 

Oh yeah, Henderson's still *****. Much improved, but that's saying little as he was fricking beyond ***** to start with. It is one of lifes continued mystery's as to how he stays in the XI. He must have some serious photies of BR in a compromising position. 

Good opening day. 

Hail. 

Yeah, I was waiting for Mingolet to make a mistake.  I thought for sure he was going to let that one in but he didn't.

He calmed down a LOT after that.  He'll get better as the season progresses.

Would still like to see if we can get a replacement for Enrique... who was up and down today for me. 

• Like 1

..... Anfield errupted after that, GHH!  Well done my brother!

#YNWA

Cheers lil' bro, but it's guys like yourself and jobaga getting up at the crack of dawn to watch that blow me away. 

Loved the way Coutinho just bounced back up all game and got on with it from some rough treatment. 

Hail.