Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

On 11/6/2018 at 6:50 PM, Long n Left said:

Well, this has been butt ugly, but, honestly, I think this has been building for some time. Liverpool has looked a bit complacent recently, and teams have been pressing more, and finding holes in the Reds midfield. Add Joel “Marshmallow” Matip in defense and no Joe, and I could see problems.

Midfield getting bossed, Matip being soft again, and the defense looks discordant with him in there. Sturridge being lazy, missing a sitter, and trying to it all himself, it adds up to Red Star beat down, and having to get a win against Napoli.

For me, I’d have Bobby and Naby in early this second half.

Just bouncing off your post to talk on Belgrade mate .....

Really aren’t too fussed personally about Tuesday. Yeah, L’pool were absolute dog ****. But it happens. Or even if we went and got hammered in Paris. Makes little difference to the group and sets up a cracking cauldron of an Anfield night the last game Napoli. Qualifying is ALL that matters. Doesn’t matter a jot how its achieved or whether you finish first or second the group and I firmly believe we will. 

It wouldn’t be L’pool if we did things the easy way. It’s how we roll.

Talking about Belgrade Tuesday .....

Absolute belter of a trip. What its ALL about. L’pool being garbage from front to back the match doesn’t impact on that. If it does, you’re doing a European away ALL wrong. 

Berlin’s always boss. And Sunday night was no exception. Even if getting in at half 4 the morning when yers a half 7 taxi booked the airport wasn’t the best idea we’ve ever had haha.  And for all the natural pre-trip worries, Belgrade put them to bed and WAY surpassed all that. Top people who couldn't have been more friendly, welcoming and helpful. Cheap as chips. Superb ale and scran. The meal Monday in an absolute dream of an arl place is in my top 5 restaurant experience ever. Honestly. Unseasonal weather in the 20’s with not a cloud the sky so shorts and sunnies. Although it did dip the evening. One of the great, traditional European grounds ticked off the bucket list. Which lived upto ALL expectations. Cracking atmosphere. Shame about no pyro displays but the threat of the UEFA ban hanging over them has hit hard. Loved the mad passion after too with them still in the ground a good hour after and a mutual sing song and respect bouncing from end to end. Who knew we are Red Star fans English team and the biggest foreign one in Serbia? (Partizan favour Chelsea apparently.) Mad the amount of RSB fans we encountered with mixed feelings leading upto the match. A real friendship has been cemented these two games.

Totally recommend Belgrade as a place to visit. The polar opposite to how its portrayed on the news and the political periah its been made into. Not least the people who are belters. With the added bonus of most all speaking excellent English which you don’t often get in Eastern Europe.

For all the horrendous crap the absolute ****hole that Naples continues to be, Belgrade was the complete opposite.

Really enjoyed the last few days and no football result was ever dampning that for anyone.

Up the Pool. Mighty Reds!

Hail.

• Thanks 2

Strange argument on NBCSN regarding the disallowed Fulham goal. They are using this specific example to advocate for VAR even though it looks like the officials got it exactly right. And turning to VAR in this case would have stopped the game down and denied the counterattack which lead to a goal.

i'm in favor of vid o review but it has to be implemented in the right way, such as with a manager's challenge which they lose if they get it wrong. 

It exists in top level field hockey and works well at the highest levlel. But in college when they sometimes don't have enough video angles, or a very skilled officiating crew, it can suck the life out of the game at times.

• Like 1

I never realised Barcelona got beat at home Sunday by Betis. Leaves L’pool with the longest current unbeaten home league record in Europes top 5 leagues:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-barcelona-anfield-home-record-15402376

For all those idiots the media and opposition fans who mocked Klopp taking the players down the Kop to thank the crowd after the West Brom draw back in 2015, COMPLETELY missing the point and taking that TOTALLY out of context; who’s laughing now?

Together, ‘Fortress Anfield’ has been restored!

Hail.

• Like 1

Stunning win by the Oranje! Complete domination of the World Cup champions in Rotterdam. 60-40 possession, 11-2 shots on goal, 8-2 corners. If not for Lloris being between the pipes, could easily have been 4 or 5.

This Dutchman could not be happier to see Koeman on the sidelines, actually, anyone other than Danny Blind. The old Manc manager has a great mix of young and old, and plays through Depay, who is looking as though footie is fun for him. Crazy dangerous in the attack, Memphis, and so creatively talented. Was fitting he got the late penalty, and netted with a flourish.

Germany and France thrashed back-to-back. I’m thinking we won’t miss the Oranje in Qatar 2022. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Stunning win by the Oranje!

Not for me, this is the WC hangover plus the injuries: We missed key defensive players and don't have any worthy subs for them: Umtiti, Hernandez, Tolisso, Varane is coming back from injury, and also Pogba, Martial, Mendy, Lemar, Lacazette.

We basically played with a B team that had no system but a bunch of lost individuals. Griezmann and Mbappé were ghosts on the field, that's unacceptable. Without Lloris I believe we would have lost by 5 or plus.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

We basically played with a B team that had no system but a bunch of lost individuals.

Not sure I would call a team which started Greizmann, Mbappe, Giroud, Matuidi, Kante, Varane, and Pavard, with Sissoko and Dembele off the bench a “B” team, but they certainly missed Pogba, as their midfield got bossed all game. 

Frankie de Jong and Mattijs de Ligt look like young studs, de Jong controlled the midfield. Expect we’ll see those two in the PL or la Liga very soon. Depay, Blind, and a resurgent Babel ran Pavard and Varane ragged attacking from the left. I’m just happy to see a team that was fractured, fighting, and under performing, get it together so quickly, and make a couple nice statements against two of the top 5 clubs in the world.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Frankie de Jong and Mattijs de Ligt look like young studs, de Jong controlled the midfield. Expect we’ll see those two in the PL or la Liga very soon.

A lot of Barca fans seem to think these two in particular are targets.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Germany- Netherlands this evening. 

Just one of those great sporting occasions that supersedes mere sport and compels you to watch.

Hail.

I’d love to know who makes the broadcasting decisions for ESPN Soccer. Czech Republic vs Slovakia over Germany vs Holland? Really? 

Thank goodness for our southern neighbors, who know what good footie is. Yay Univision!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Long n Left said:

I’d love to know who makes the broadcasting decisions for ESPN Soccer. Czech Republic vs Slovakia over Germany vs Holland? Really? 

Thank goodness for our southern neighbors, who know what good footie is. Yay Univision!

Seriously? Madness. 

Brings home yet again football still having a long way to go in the States. A LONG way. 

Meanwhile, for your pre-match pleasure Sir, an excellent club piece on the evolution of a footballer into the still very underrated, if excellent, footballer, Gini is today.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/325695-gini-wijnaldum-liverpool-exclusive-interview

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Thanks 1