Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

This is the first time since 1958 Italy failed to qualify for the WC. I didn't see that one coming. Mannaggia la miseria !

De Rossi refused to played arguing "What the hell are you doing to me? We do not have to tie, we have to win! " Advocating for Insigne to play instead of him.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

So, Memphis Depay, who Danny Blind would not choose for the senior team WC qualifiers, now has 2 in 2 straight friendlies after Advocaat brings him back in the fold.

And some wondered why so many of us had been screaming for Blind's removal for a while.

Hoping they turn the reins over to Cocu, at least until van Bronkhorst is ready to assume the role. (Never forget his 30+ ft howler against Brazil in 2010!)

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

2 games 'The Man, The Myth, The Living LEG-END Joe MF Gomez!' has now played for England. 2 clean sheets against the top 2 Nations in the World. Coincidence? I think not! 

Just want it noted for the record I've been championing #12 ever since his imperious debut for the mighty Reds in Thailand 2 summers back. You're all very welcome. :P.

Hail. 

*Edit* This tweet from the TAW lads sums up Joe's full International debut and the job he did on some Brazilian fella' perfectly: 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally, the tedium of International footie can be put to bed until March and we can get back down to the serious stuff. Although that said it was a very prosperous break. The bulk of the squad not called up affording them a week off last week raring to go the weekend in preparation for Southampton and the stretch from Hell ahead. And some very beneficial minutes away for Coutinho and Mané in particular for those on International duty. Along with the continued development of the young guns. Most notably Woodburn adding his first start for Wales in his 6 caps thus far. Joe completely boxing off some pricey Brazilian fella'. And Solanke looking like he belonged in that company. 

Now comes the crazy mad tet of endurance from Saturday through January 1. 13 games (11 in the league. 2 the Champions League) through 45 days. A game every 3 days that will test every squad the league to their very the limits. In retrospect, probably not a
bd thing for once not being in the League Cup being as that would be another game through this stretch. And then potentially 2 more through the gruelling January period off the back of it. 

And finally, bar Nathanial (good to hear his back surgery went well. February be a great boost for the run-in but no rush mate. Rather have you healthy for the next 5 years than in and out. Backs are a **** when they go), a fully fit squad with Coutinho, Lallana and Sadio all back and raring to go. Along with Alex getting more and more up to 
speed by the passing week. Which through this stretch gives us a big edge to rest and rotate, and not see a drop-off. The obvious caveat of CH aside, outside of City I don't see anyone that has the same depth in midfield or attack, in particular, to change and not feel any significant drop-off. Massive difference from last year when injuries hit hard. So much for this 'perceived' poor squad even a lot of L'pool fans were narking about the summer. And with the subtle yet very noticeable change in tactics of late adding defensive solidity (just HOW many different formations did we go through last time out at West Ham? Great to be fully firing and that fluid to adapt to anything again), the scope for change tactically game-on-game with everyone healthy is a real nice bonus. 

Real chance to do some serious damage and come through this gruelling test firmly ensconced the top 4 
come the turn of the year. Then we'll see what the January window brings for the second half assault. (If yers want to sample the delights of one of the best City's in the World Sat'day Virgil lad to wet your appetite further, just holler at me. :P.). 

Exciting times.

Hail. 

23 hours ago, Long n Left said:

So, Memphis Depay, who Danny Blind would not choose for the senior team WC qualifiers, now has 2 in 2 straight friendlies after Advocaat brings him back in the fold.

And some wondered why so many of us had been screaming for Blind's removal for a while.

I can still remember the shock in 2015 when a Dutch friend told me that they wouldn't qualify.

"But, you guys have plenty of time!"

"Doesn't matter, Blind can't manage for ****". Followed by a long two minute spiel about every one of Blind's misadventures in Dutch football.

Edited by FanboyOf91
  • Thanks 1

On 15/11/2017 at 8:20 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ok, I need help.

My son’s new club uses the position numbers for coaching and play. I’m looking for an “official” chart but there are 1,000,000 variations.

Is there an official numbered chart?

Like old school 1-11 mate? It's getting more and more confusing as to what's the standard now the more different ideas come into the game. Often from modern coaches over complicating a simple game who were never as smart as they think they are to begin with but that's another discussion. 

1 hour ago, Elessar78 said:

My 2018 group of death: Argies, Spain, Sweden, Nigeria

Can we swap England for Spain? 

Hail. 

34 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Like old school 1-11 mate? It's getting more and more confusing as to what's the standard now the more different ideas come into the game. Often from modern coaches over complicating a simple game who were never as smart as they think they are to begin with but that's another discussion. 

I expressed the same thing to the coach, here’s the one that he sent over.

38414799646_3d101f49d3.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Can we swap England for Spain? 

Hail. 

It’s based on a 433. Federation wants everyone to teach using a 433, like Belgium did.

So I don’t know why he sent a4231. But that diagram isn’t even right. The 4 and the 2 should be on the right. 

New to us but every other country has been using it for decades. I think it’s actually very useful and one of the better, simpler things the federation has done in coaching education. 

——-

no. England have not beeen a threat to beat any other countries since 1945.

Edited by Elessar78

Line! I like that haha. 

The 2 is the RB in that diagram. The only changes you used to see was some 4's would be in CM with the 6 the back. And the 7/8 up alongside the 9 with an 8/10 wide. Or even the 5 in the middle or wide with 4 and 6 the back. (Don't ask.).

But its subjective. With squad numbers you do well to get half the eleven in single figures these days. (And I know this is for positional purposes only. Just saying.).

Ta for the info E. 

Hail.

Another domination at Anfield yesterday. Only one PL goal given up there this year, and the Saints showed no inclination to change that at all. Not a shot on target (again) and never really a worry, outside of set pieces and Migs wanting footwork.

Salah is the gift that keeps on giving. His first yesterday, a worldie. 14 in 18 games now, I believe? Signing of the summer for certain. I believe I read that he is the highest scoring Red the past four seasons, and it's only mid November? Ridiculous!

Wonderful to see Phil and his magic act back as well. Hopefully Lallana will be on the bench, at least, come Tuesday, and for matches to come. Team getting fully fit at the right time, hope it stays that way. Second half of the season is gonna be a grind to get that top 4.

All in all, a full team effort to do in a side just the way they should at home.

Onward you mighty Reds!