Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Muggles unhappy with Jurgen era after team loses 4 of last 6

Weren't things supposed to be different or is it still too early to tell? Shouldn't we be elite

We shouldn't be elite, but I don't understand why he says he doesn't care about our W/L record in friendlies, yet he's not trying anything different. He's playing pretty much all the same guys. The only change I've noticed is putting Beckerman in for Michael Bradley. Beyond that, I think he's brought like 2-3 new guys into camp and that's it. If you don't give a **** about W/L then you should be experimenting with new lineups and formations.

Kinsmann is saying that he doesn't care about the W/L because he needs to install a new system. If he cared about W/L then he could play just the same way Bob did-which no one was happy with anyway. I think he's trying to, for lack of a better word, "modernize" our play.

I think trying more players isn't really the issue. Recall the big criticism of Bradley was that he wasn't picking the right players. Well Klinsmann has tried more but arguably not coming up with much more. I think it verifies what Bradley knew that the pool just isn't that deep.

We can play 2 strikers, 3 or 4 it doesn't matter because we don't have 2 "international class" strikers. We'd probably be better playing with one and 5 midfielders.

USA vs Slovenia on ESPN2 now.

Score is tied at 1-1 with the USA goal coming from Edson Buddle in the 9th. Good to know we actually can still score goals.

---------- Post added November-15th-2011 at 01:11 PM ----------

Make that 3-1! Header by Dempsey (41) and PK by Altidore (43). Dammit, wish I was watching!

A couple of things I took from the game-

Fabian Johnson was AWESOME. First full game though, so I dont know what that means longterm.

Chandler started and played almost a full 90 again at left back. A few issues, getting turned, and not stepping up in the trap. But overall pretty solid. Certainly our best LB since...........................well, maybe ever as bad as that seems.

As much as I would LOVE for us to be able to play a 4-5-1, we just dont have the skill players needed to do so. Last night JK put us in a standard 4-4-2 and we dominated possesion and looked alive in the attack. All without LD. Altidore plays 100x better when he has another player up top with him.

Beckerman is an okay bench option, but Jones or Edu needs to start ahead of him.

Boca and Cherundolo are still rocksolid on the back line

• 2 weeks later...

American Samoa gets their first ever FIFA win

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Worst-ranked-American-Samoa-win-first-ever-FIFA-?urn=sow-wp6950

"Tied for 204th (out of 204) in the FIFA world rankings, the U.S. protectorate with a population of 55,000 has been outscored 229-12 in international play since joining FIFA in 1994. The team never scored a goal in World Cup qualifying. So the win over 202nd ranked Tonga gives them an overwhelming combination of firsts."

Group A looks soft but the other groups are no cake-walk. Group B is above.

Group C: Spain, Italy, Ireland, Croatia

Group D: Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

Croatia is always a tough out, they are tough and physical. I can see 'em getting a result against Spain with some tough-guy soccer. Ukraine is, well, weak. But the other 3 are no push overs. Sweden is European perennial power. They don't get as much love as the other countries but they are better than England, IMO.

Italy tend to sleep walk through group stages. They could be in trouble if they do as the Croats are a very useful side and stomped Turkey easily to qualify.

Englands section looks tough on paper but I wouldnt rate Sweden much more than 'ok' these days (but with a very dangerous striker in Ibrahimovic) and the same with France, who play well at times but still rebuilding.

Netherlands/Germany (my favourite) in Group B and Greece/Russia from a very uninspiring Group A

Germany/Spain would be a cracking final

Exciting, relatively, next two days for Champions League. It's the last two match days and a couple of the big fish are in danger of not qualifying for the knockout stage.

http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/standings/index.html

Today (12.6)

In Group E, Chelsea face Valencia tied at 8 points in the group. Valencia are ahead on goal differential (+2). Chelsea need to win by 3 goals to go through.

Tomorrow (12.7)

In Group A, Man City (8 pts) are in third and they play a Bayern Munich team that has already qualified for the next round. Will Bayern play a strong squad? Napoli (9 pts), who defeated Man City last week, is in 2nd place in the group. They play a Villareal team that has yet to win a group game.

In Group C, Manchester United must defeat lowly Basel to advance. Basel are playing at home and already tied MUFC at Old Trafford 3-3 earlier in the group stage. Anything can happen??

I Would love nothing better than to see Chelsea, Man Utd, and Citeh knocked out!

Exciting, relatively, next two days for Champions League. It's the last two match days and a couple of the big fish are in danger of not qualifying for the knockout stage.

Today (12.6)

In Group E, Chelsea face Valencia tied at 8 points in the group. Valencia are ahead on goal differential (+2). Chelsea need to win by 3 goals to go through.

Tomorrow (12.7)

In Group A, Man City (8 pts) are in third and they play a Bayern Munich team that has already qualified for the next round. Will Bayern play a strong squad? Napoli (9 pts), who defeated Man City last week, is in 2nd place in the group. They play a Villareal team that has yet to win a group game.

In Group C, Manchester United must defeat lowly Basel to advance. Basel are playing at home and already tied MUFC at Old Trafford 3-3 earlier in the group stage. Anything can happen??

I Would love nothing better than to see Chelsea, Man Utd, and Citeh knocked out!

Great two-days indeed for Champions League. I feel bad for AVB (despite being a United supporter), simply because I know he is a damn good manager . . . but unfortunately for him, he has the Russian to answer to, who has his hand on the fire button and is certainly willing to press it.

Although Bayern has already qualified, I still hope they field a relatively strong squad.

United do NOT need to beat FC Basel. They will advance with EITHER a draw or the win. The draw is the most likely scenario, since we have looked pretty unimpressive over the last few weeks. Sure, we've won 4 of the last 5 EPL games (all wins via clean-sheets), but we also have only scored 1 goal in each of those games. Moreover, we have struggled in non EPL games (e.g. the Carling Cup upset and the draw against Benfica in the last Champions League game).

This game scares the hell out of me though when you consider United's injury problems and lack of seemingly creative and effective depth. With Chicharito and Berbatov out up top, and Cleverly and Anderson out in the middle, United have lost most of their ability to create goals form the midfield. I suspect Fergie will go with a formation similar to the one this past weekend vs. Aston Villa, were it is a 4-3-3 with a midfield trio of Jones, Carrick and either Fletcher, Park or Giggs. Then up top, he'll likely have Nani and Young on the wings with Rooney in the middle. Thankfully our defense has been stout of late.

I'd just like to drop in here and mention that West Ham is tearing up the English League Championship and are in line to be promoted back to the Premiership where they rightfully belong.

Possibly a case of Big Sam's revenge if Blackburn goes down which looks likely. So painful to see Rovers in such a state at the moment.