Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I've played pickup games against better organized defense than what Barca showing right now. Is this actually the same club playing hardball with de Ligt's wage demands? This clown show is a better bargaining chip for his agent than United could ever be. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 8:41 PM, Berggy9598 said:

I've played pickup games against better organized defense than what Barca showing right now. Is this actually the same club playing hardball with de Ligt's wage demands? This clown show is a better bargaining chip for his agent than United could ever be. 

They literally don't have the money until they sell. 

But anyway, Anfield has well and truly kettled their heads. 

Hail. 

55 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

They literally don't have the money until they sell. 

But anyway, Anfield has well and truly kettled their heads. 

Hail. 

Them and Madrid come up with money one way or another. Spain won’t let their cash cows go without. Raiola is a scourge but he’ll find a way to get them to cough up the wages. 

Edited by Berggy9598

Soz @techboy Turn away now lid. 

Barcelona from the players perspective- 

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/1132902540889272320

And BT killing it again with the highlight of the season for me that just encapsulates everything about this club and the special bond we share. The best YNWA EVER!

https://twitter.com/btsport/status/1131509828935999488

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Boss early morning watch from BT. (And kudos to them for making the final this Saturday free-to-air.). 

Been a superb run this. 

Toughest group by far the opening round that lived up to that billing and went to the last game with three sides in contention to go through and the other still in play for the Europa League slot. For all the narking from many Reds through the groups, people forgot a group is just that and finishing first or second really doesn't matter save for getting the home leg the last 16 2nd. ALL that matters in the groups is qualifying. You get nottin extra for style and to progress with the mega rich nouveau riche Parisians, and a Napoli side that yet again were the clear second best side in Italy to Juve's millions just served notice, as if it needed serving after the barnstorming run to Kiev last year, that these Reds are FIRMLY back as one of European football's top sides again. 

Then, in the first knock-out stage, you get drawn against the mighty Bayern Munich in a tie fit for the final. 10 European cups split equally between us. A Munich side who'd been to 6 straight semi-finals and, albeit ageing, are still a top outfit. (Treble winners yet again in Germany by the seasons end.), A Bayern side that came to Anfield with the sole intention of making sure the tie was alive for the return at their European fortress where home defeats are like rocking horse ____. But not for this gang of awesome Reds who sent further shockwaves reverberating around the Continent with one of the best European displays in our stored history. To go win 3-1 at the Allianz ...... WOW! By common consensus, that's in most everyones top 10, if not top 5, European away's. A boss few days in utterly brilliant Bavaria topped off with a stunning victory like that. 

Next up the Champions of Portugal comfortably walloped. Again! They really must be sick of the site of us in that fantastic City by the Douro. Like Munich, they came to ours to not get beat. But didn't have the quality of Munich back there. Really went for it at home when the Reds had to dig in, ride the storm, then hit them on the counter in a classical European away display. 

And then the semi against Barcelona. Which like the Munich game, doesn't get much bigger a European tie anywhere. Absolutely superb first leg showing that deserved SO much more ends with a 3-0 head-scratching defeat. Tie over. No away goal. The great Barcelona with the GOAT among their ranks. NO WAY they aren't scoring at Anfield. Already without Bobby, Mo get's concussed the game prior so L'pool are now without two of the best front three in all of Europe. Which worsened through the game when arguably the current best LB in European football, Andy Robbo, had to depart the scene. But this was Anfield. Under the European lights. In our competition ..... NO stage like it anywhere on the Continent and yet again, we made the impossible, POSSIBLE on well arguably the greatest of all Anfield European nights. (Side note- Just HOW many more times are we going to have to do this before people fully acknowledge the difference making power of Anfield in Europe? Still staggers me there's still folk out there who underestimate that arl place every year in Europe no matter hw many times we consistently prove everyone wrong.) I'd still have Chelsea '05 as the best atmosphere personally. But Barcelona wasn't far short and in terms of the game, and everything we had to overcome, that one tops the lot. And man have we an encyclopaedia of them. Still buzzing off that. One of the greatest nights in UEFA competition history. Leading to yet another European Cup final, our NINTH, that just cemented Jurgen's Reds as one of, if not the top team around right now on the Continent. I'm hesitant to put City above us in European terms as, until they start, yanno', actually winning games of European football and not sacking it off at the quarter final stage every season they can't be treated as any serious European power.  

Absolutely superb run indeed that was FAR from easy with all the top sides and massive hurdles overcome to get to a second straight European Cup final. 

That all feels somewhat anti-climatic given the finals against Tottenham and not the romance for the purists of Ajax- Liverpool. But it is what it is and even accounting for the 'meh' of an English opponent, the stupendous high of going to yet another European Cup final with the mighty boys in Red NEVER gets old. (My 6th with L'pool. SIX times going to the biggest game in the sport with my club. That's beyond mad. WHAT a F PHENOMENAL football club this is we're lucky and privileged to support.). Friday morning and starting the final leg of this epic journey that, the absolute moody **** hole that is Naples aside, has been brilliant right the way through with another slew of ridiculous memories can't come soon enough. With the added bonus, as much as it should be in the other, bigger ground over the other side of the City, a third new ground for myself in Europe this year after ticking two old and new cathedrals of football, Belgrade and Munich, off the bucket list already. Jut adds to the magic of Europe when you get to do something new. 

Let's hope the final act is the best one yet and we end this stupendous season by having the best season of any side in Europe this year. Lifting the biggest prize in football. AGAIN!

5 more days.

Hail. 

• Thanks 2

Last day of work for 4 days. FINALLY! Although I must say the waits not been half as bad when I'm just buzzing at streets/ houses all over the City deckeed up like it was Chrimbo. No place like L'pool at the best of times. L'pool when the Reds are in a final, not least for the biggest prize in football, is off the charts brilliant. (But Everton are 'The Peoples Club.' Never forget that! 😉.). 

Just looking at previous European Cup finals. This is our 9th. All other English clubs COMBINED have been to 13. We win, it'll be our 6th European big one. Twice as much as the next English club on the list. 

This football club man. PHENOMENAL!

Hail. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-7084537/UEFA-tell-FIFA-consider-temporary-concussion-substitutions.html

For once, an absolutely bang on move from UEFA.

100% behind this.

You DON'T F around with head injuries. And no team should be penalised whilst a players being fully assessed.

Hail. 

Problem is if a head injury occurs early in the match you basically have to trot a replacement out there with no warm up.  Which puts that player of muscle injury.  And if you do give them a bit of a warmup by the time the warmup has concluded surely the concussion evaluation will be over.  

BTW, Chelsea are European champions I don't care what anyone says!

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/05/liverpool-fc-searching-for-six-and-being-remembered-forever/

Belter piece that just encapsulates our unique, for England, relationship with Europe. Whether it's the fact we're one of the Worlds great port City's, out on the edge, who's always had an outward outlook and readily embraced different Nationality's and cultures in the cultural melting pot that is Liverpool I don't know. But there's no City and no football club that's as European as L'pool. Our whole fan culture is completely different and European. The flag culture alone is like nothing else in this Country. Compare the multitude, wit and variety Saturday to the little Englander, lame St George cross 'efforts' with 'Essex Whites' the other end. All that, along with being one of UEFA's proper marquee clubs and everything our glorious European history entails, probably goes a long way to explaining just how respected and revered we are on the Continent. The contrast between the multitude of European club fans sending their best for Madrid compared to the insular, Brexiteer, Soccer AM generation of fan here, who still embarrassingly sing about austerity in Liverpool like this was still the '80's under Thatcher, wanting L'pool to get beat has been stark. 

And Chris captures it all perfectly. 

How do you top City's magnificent table winning season? Go have the best season of any club in Europe with the prize every wants more than any other! 

I want the PL bad. As immensely proud as you are of the magnificent 97 point season they've just had, it still hurt bad to cruelly end up 2nd. But if you gave me a choice of ending nigh on three decades of wait to be Champions of England again, or having the chance to be Champion's of a whole bloody Continent .....

Is it 9 PM Saturday evening yet?

DomKKcUW0AAa-uH.jpg

Hail. 

• Like 1

RIP Jose Antonio Reyes. Remember him at Arsenal as well as the scorer of the goal that won Real Madrid the league on the final day of the season (One of Ray Hudson’s more ridiculous reactions on GolTV which is saying a lot) Way too young. 

• Like 1

Gotta expect that Liverpool will score 2 goals minimum (between Salah, Mane, Firmino). Tottenham needs someone to come up huge... a year ago we were enjoyed watching South Korea upset Germany, can Sonaldo put up a performance? Spurs need to get him going?

It's a neutral stadium... I am hyped to watch this. We don't have to watch that dirty defender Ramos.

If you asked me last year who I wanted to prevail in CL, I would have said, "Storybook for Salah to get back on this stage and it go different for Liverpool." Yet I never imagined they wouldn't be playing a Juve, Real, Barcelona or even Manchester City.

Tottenham are underdogs in their own right -- sadly for those here I will be slightly pulliing for them... but I always say a good game is best to watch, so either tied or within a goal at the 75th minute will make me happiest.