Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

On 6/10/2019 at 8:37 PM, Long n Left said:

I really like the idea of adding to the growing Oranje group. 

Ala Hoever, that would be a really intriguing addition with an eye on the next few years and Lovren and Matip. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-hopeful-beating-bayern-munich-16480624

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/liverpool-look-to-complete-signing-of-netherlands-u-19/5aq0r1p6hu2p15jsrztq2vwxx

Hail. 

*Edit*

A very informative piece on this lads rapid development. 

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/06/the-record-breaking-rise-of-sepp-van-den-berg-liverpools-next-joe-gomez/

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 8:37 PM, Long n Left said:

All Hail another Dutch steal mate!

£1.3 million down possibly rising to £4.4 million with add-on's. (Based over him making 350 appearances domestically and in Europe.).

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/354756-sepp-van-den-berg-deal-agreed

From not so much as knowing this lad existed 2 days ago, I'm honestly really enthused by this one. 

Everything just fits. 

Any kid that's been the youngest to break the great Clarence Seedorf's record of 10 first team Eredivisie appearances makes you sit up. To have 22 games in the Dutch top flight and cup (15 starts), along with already being a part of the Natherlands U19 squad at 17 ..... kid must have something specail. And everything you've read the last few days from his coaches at Zwolle through Dutch journo's attests to how highly he's rated in the Netherlands. 

I love the fact we've beaten off Ajax and PSV in his homeland where he'd of definitely started from day one. Along with mighty Bayern Munich. Which when you consider the amount of youngsters now going to Germany for first team opportunity's early that is another major coup. 

I love the fact that he's coming in not as an academy player per se, but one who they view as a serious first team option going forward. And with the heavy Christmas period added to with the CWC this year, there's every chance he'll be involved in the first team in that and the domestic Cups before/ by-the-turn-of-the-year. And there's the 21's entering the Checkatrade Trophy too that will continue to expose him to the rigours of the men's game. 

I love the fact that we've got a living, breathing, glorious technicolour example of Trent to show to him that if you're good enough and do everything we require, you'll play early here. And his compatriot Hoever and his rapid rise from U18's through the 19/23's to a first team debut at 16 and training full time with the first team just adds to that for Sepp and the attractiveness of the youth pathway at Anfield.

And given the roaring success of our scouting/ transfer policy off our tireless analytical work, that just fills you with massive confidence that this could well be another gem for absolute buttons. 

It's got smacks of Hyppia and JMG about it. 

And it's great to add to our growing Oranje contingent at Anfield. He'll certainly feel at home. 

And then there's the distinct probability of Lovren and maybe Matip not being here over the next 2/ 3 seasons. So the planning for that now with Hoever and now van den Berg can't be anything other than a great thing. 

Mad to be this excited about someone you'd never so much of heard about 2 days prior, but I genuinely am for everything stated above. 

Everything just fits. 

Here's to a long and successful career at the best club in Europe Sepp.

Hail. 

Whether Sepp fulfils his massive potential or not, it just refreshingly hammers home yet again that you don't need to consistently spend £100's of millions in the market. If you get your club structure right, and have a top scouting and analytical department working off the model that fits you, with everyone open to different ideas and opinions through the process, bargains can still readily be had in this currently vastly over inflated market. 

I love that more and more bigger clubs are starting to look at our approach in the transfer market and adapting their own down to how we do it differently to everybody else and can still challenge clubs like City. We can still have the 2nd most valuable squad in the world at £1 Billion or so just after City's without being backed by a whole State down to the pure intelligence we have assembled within our ranks. (The amount go PhD physicists on the analytical side alone is far leading the way in World football.). 

Which all leave's you perfectly happy and content that they totally know what they're doing whether we add to a £1.3 million (potentially £4.4 Mill.) 17-year-old or not this window. 

That's the implicit confidence Klopp, Edwards, Gordon and co have earned that they're doing what's right for the club in the long and short term. 

Credit to FSG for putting this whole structure in place and allowing it to flourish. 

When you get that, it becomes a whole lot easier (and no less cheaper), to successfully operate.

Hail. 

5 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

All Hail another Dutch steal mate!

£1.3 million down possibly rising to £4.4 million with add-on's. (Based over him making 350 appearances domestically and in Europe.).

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/354756-sepp-van-den-berg-deal-agreed

From not so much as knowing this lad existed 2 days ago, I'm honestly really enthused by this one. 

Everything just fits. 

Any kid that's been the youngest to break the great Clarence Seedorf's record of 10 first team Eredivisie appearances makes you sit up. To have 22 games in the Dutch top flight and cup (15 starts), along with already being a part of the Natherlands U19 squad at 17 ..... kid must have something specail. And everything you've read the last few days from his coaches at Zwolle through Dutch journo's attests to how highly he's rated in the Netherlands. 

I love the fact we've beaten off Ajax and PSV in his homeland where he'd of definitely started from day one. Along with mighty Bayern Munich. Which when you consider the amount of youngsters now going to Germany for first team opportunity's early that is another major coup. 

I love the fact that he's coming in not as an academy player per se, but one who they view as a serious first team option going forward. And with the heavy Christmas period added to with the CWC this year, there's every chance he'll be involved in the first team in that and the domestic Cups before/ by-the-turn-of-the-year. And there's the 21's entering the Checkatrade Trophy too that will continue to expose him to the rigours of the men's game. 

I love the fact that we've got a living, breathing, glorious technicolour example of Trent to show to him that if you're good enough and do everything we require, you'll play early here. And his compatriot Hoever and his rapid rise from U18's through the 19/23's to a first team debut at 16 and training full time with the first team just adds to that for Sepp and the attractiveness of the youth pathway at Anfield.

And given the roaring success of our scouting/ transfer policy off our tireless analytical work, that just fills you with massive confidence that this could well be another gem for absolute buttons. 

It's got smacks of Hyppia and JMG about it. 

And it's great to add to our growing Oranje contingent at Anfield. He'll certainly feel at home. 

And then there's the distinct probability of Lovren and maybe Matip not being here over the next 2/ 3 seasons. So the planning for that now with Hoever and now van den Berg can't be anything other than a great thing. 

Mad to be this excited about someone you'd never so much of heard about 2 days prior, but I genuinely am for everything stated above. 

Everything just fits. 

Here's to a long and successful career at the best club in Europe Sepp.

Hail. 

Second best center half in the world la. 😝

In this great Thursday of youth, we now have a departure- 

liverpool-confirm-transfer-rafael-camacho-16499491

Not too shabby a deal for a lad who made a mere 2 appearances and was threatening to run down his contract. 

At least £5 million/ potentially £7 million profit for three years coaching, plus a 20% sell-on and buy back option? When, if he'd stayed and let his contract run-down, we'd of been entitled to a mere £270K compensation? I'll take that in a heartbeat. That sorts the academy out by itself for a couple of years for the next group of Camacho's under our watch. And covers us if he does now kick-on and have a decent career. 

Pity Rafa didn't want to switch to FB/WB as you feel there'd had been a good few opportunity's next season with all the extra games. But he wants to stick to being an attacker so fair play to him. He has to do what's right for his career. Which hopefully can now start in earnest back home where it all began. 

All the best mate. Thanks for some great memories at youth level.

And completing this very good day of youth bits, congratulations to Abdi Sharif on his first pro-contract at 18. 

Can never have enough Scousers tied down. ;)

Hail. 

Yeah, always a plus when you go Dutch!😁

Honestly, only saw this lad in the U-17s last month. One of the top performers for the champs. Little on the thin side, but he’s young, and he’s 6’2”, plenty of time to fill out, and maybe grow another inch or two. He looked very calm and smooth with the ball at his feet, and seems to read the game well. His athleticism is not at VVD or de Ligt levels, but that’s a very high bar. 

Dutch dilemma seems to be what to do with Hoever. Most feel, Sepp will be number 3 behind the above mentioned CBs in the next couple years. Remains to be seen if Hoever stays at RB for the national team, or maybe even move to a number 6 role to free de Jong to move to 8. Nice problem to have! Looks like we’ve made the transition from the RVP, Sneijder, Robben era to a new, young, talented squad. Koeman has done a very good job, but I still think Cocu or Van  Bronkhorst can lead this team where we want it to go. 

Never forget that belter Giovanni hit against Brazil in 2010!

Edited by Long n Left
  • Thanks 1

'Sake Messi lad. Yers not catching the best goalie the planet out twice over with the same thing! 

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/1146304712846860288

NINE successive clean-sheets and counting for club and Country now. 

Props to Firmino for another goal and assist too. That's now 2 G/ 3 A. More goal involvements than any player in the tournament. 

All the best Alisson and Bobby the Copa final Sunday evening. All for players keeping up the habit of picking up silverware.

Hail. 

• Like 2

Absolute bargain!

D-k3rh0X4AEBjZF?format=jpg&name=medium

And I know there's no 'official' CL Golden Glove. But to be the first goalie to ever keep the most (joint most the CL) clean-sheets through a season in the three major club and Country competitions just adds to an absolutely phenomenal debut season that's elevated him to the top of the very top echelon of 'keepers currently. 

Throw in a club record of 21 clean sheets the league (joint-second most in PL history and the first in over a decade to hit 20 or more), along with the first shut-out in the European Cup Final in 9 years ..... 

If he extends his current run of 9 successive clean-sheets to double figures against Peru the Copa America final Sunday night and goes through a whole major International tournament from the start to win it without a conceding a goal ..... Absolutely phenomenal year he's had. No other way to put it. 

van Dijk's been a ridiculous, difference making addition and is by common consensus the best CH in World football right now and the bookies favourite for the Ballon d'Or. But Alisson has been even more important an addition to a L'pool defence that was never that bad under Klopp outside of the sub-standard clown between the sticks. 

As much as goalies rarely are, he should be RIGHT up there for Ballon d'Or consideration this year after his ridiculous, record breaking first season at Anfield.

Hail. 

After a well earned summer break basking in the glory of numero seis, the Reds are back at it today starting out on the long road of hard work to (hopefully) repeating in Istanbul next May. 

With the first game at Tranmere a mere 5 days away! 

Will Milner beast the bleep test again today? (Rhetorical. The Ronaldo-esq super human freak that he is.). 

I'll post on what I'm looking forward to out of pre-season toward that game. But as for the upcoming season as a whole, and expectations/ personal wants ..... 

Honestly, just to continue improving and be seriously challenging again. 

We win the league? Great. We push City all the way and drop 90 plus points but don't? Sound. Can't ask for much more than knowing L'pool have given everything like last season. Aim for consistently putting up 85/90 points at least and eventually you'll win one. Not least with Pep liable to be gone after this season but that's for another discussion on another day. 

I fully expect us to be European Cup quarter-finalists at the very least year-on-year from here on in now. And from there it's all down to the luck of the draw. 

The CS will be a seriously competitive affair for once with neither side wanting to lose face. But we're liable to not be anywhere near full strength so that's a freebie. 

DEFO want to win the SC and CWC though. They should be prioritised.

Above and beyond that, I'd honestly be absolutely made up with an FA Cup (or even League Cup) win. Even if there was no League or European Cup to go along with it. Just continue winning at least one trophy every season and have the memory's of L'pool picking up silverware on a consistent basis again to know we're properly back where we belong. 

That'll more than do me. 

Great to start out on the journey with them again. 

Up the returning best in all of Europe Reds! 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Whilst it's on my mind, two personal  things that DEFO need sorting ASAP out of pre-season ..... 

Announce the Charity Shied details L'pool!!!! This is getting beyond ridiculous now! Games less than a month away for Pete's sake! It'll be pay on the gate at this rate! Sort it out! 

And FIFA, announce the dates for Qatar already so we can start planning/ booking for December! What the heck is the hold-up there?

I'm checking this daily WAY more than any transfer rumours and it's LONG past being frustrating waiting now!

Hail. 

• Like 1

Talking the start of pre-season- 

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/355415-caoimhin-kelleher-injury-details

I wonder what difference that may well make to any potential Grabara loan?

Great chance for the big Pole to reestablish himself in the pecking order this summer now. 

One man's bad luck is another's good fortune and all that.

Gutted for Naby the other day too that he had to be pulled from Guinea's squad the AFCON. But the break and resting up won't do him any harm before the season starts.

Hail. 

• Like 1

Devoed for Salah with Egypt's shock loss the AFCON last night. Hopefully he clears his head of this before he returns and it doesn't linger as that one will cut especially deep being the host Nation with all the weight of expectation. I might not do International footy per se, but I can fully appreciate just what it means to guys like Mo. Which the manager patently understands and encourages for the benefit of happy players and the changies too. For example in how he happily let's them jet off for the African player awards a few days before a major game. The pride and importance of being there in person to these lads on the Continents highest award stage is immeasurable. And no video acceptance is replacing that. 

Success breads success and the older I get, rather than selfishly being happy Mo and Nabby no longer have the extra burden of more games, returning even later before the start of the season; I now take the POV that this is majorly important to them and wish them all the best in games for their respective Nations. With the major positive for L'pool being, when it comes to major tournaments, our players (hopefully) continuing that winning feeling by adding more medals to their collections. 

A LOT to be said for one or more of our lads lifting silverware this summer to follow on from #6.

Once you get that winning taste, you want it ALL the time. And that can only be to the benefit of the football club. 

So now over to Sadio and his compadres to do Senegal proud now and (hopefully) win the AFCON for the first time.. Draw's really opened up with all these shocks. And first, tonight, all the best to Alisson and Bobby in trying to end Brazil's LONG 12-year-wait for a major International trophy the Copa final against Peru. 

Chin up Mo mate. You can't do it single handedly. 

Props to SA. Superb display. Thoroughly deserved victory. Take Mo out of the game and Egypt have little else. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

The most convoluted, mad trophy presentation of a thousand individual awards ever aside, congratulations Alisson, Bobby and their Brazilian compadres on winning Brazil's first major trophy in 12 years. 

The Copa America is the oldest International football tournament in the World. First held in 1916, this years vintage was the 46th edition. And Alisson has now become the first goalkeeper in all that time to not concede a goal in open play through the tournament. They'll still find a reason not to, but just give him the Ballon d'Or already after his phenomenal year! 

Absolutely made up for our boys there. Biggest prize in club football the start of June. Major International tournament winners the start of July. Not been a bad month or so huh? Go party and enjoy the rest of the summer lads. You've MORE than earned missing the gruelling slog of pre-season. 

Campione Liverpool. 

Campione Brazil. 

Now we just need Sadio and Senegal to round out the year perfectly by winning the AFCON for the first time. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

The most convoluted, mad trophy presentation of a thousand individual awards ever aside, congratulations Alisson, Bobby and their Brazilian compadres on winning Brazil's first major trophy in 12 years. 

The Copa America is the oldest International football tournament in the World. First held in 1916, this years vintage was the 46th edition. And Alisson has now become the first goalkeeper in all that time to not concede a goal in open play through the tournament. They'll still find a reason not to, but just give him the Ballon d'Or already after his phenomenal year! 

Absolutely made up for our boys there. Biggest prize in club football the start of June. Major International tournament winners the start of July. Not been a bad month or so huh? Go party and enjoy the rest of the summer lads. You've MORE than earned missing the gruelling slog of pre-season. 

Campione Liverpool. 

Campione Brazil. 

Now we just need Sadio and Senegal to round out the year perfectly by winning the AFCON for the first time. 

Hail. 

what are briton's thoughts on the lionesses. have they gotten more attention from the public of late, especially with their strong run this year? Is women's footy making strides in England?

56 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

what are briton's thoughts on the lionesses. have they gotten more attention from the public of late, especially with their strong run this year? Is women's footy making strides in England?

Yes mate. Been a massive success. Record viewing figures and great support. 

The whole sport needs more investment but it's growing each year with attendances increasing along with serious TV coverage. Great that young girls now have their own heroes to look upto and a genuine pathway to a career in the game. 

Related, as regards my own club, the L'pool Ladies are touring the US this summer for the first time alongside their male compatriots under the 'Two Teams, One Club' ethos which is a major step forward to integration and acceptance. 

Congratulations on the US winning it all again. Ridiculous achievement. 

Hail. 

• Like 2

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/355737-jurgen-klopp-on-xherdan-shaqiri-injury-latest

Well that's frustrating. Not least for big Shaq with a big sophomore season ahead of him. 

But that's football. You find a solution and deal. Next man up and all that. 

So on the flip side I love it'll probably give a young lad a bigger chance to impress with the first-team this summer.

No rush Xherdan. Rest up well and fully heal it mate. More than enough games this year for you to get your share again.

Hail. 

• Like 1

^^^^^ Talking of Madrid .....

The best team in all of Europe are back in action tomorrow evening at Tranmere! 

Albeit a very youthful version with the staggered return of everyone.

This is the exciting, fun part of pre-season for me. Watching kids you've seen develop and improve year-on-year among their peers try step up and belong the men's game. Which is a massive leap/ difference and whole new challenge again. 

Ojrzynski, the 16-year-old Polish kid must be in absolute dream World right now. Not been here 2 mins, spent the week training with the first-team, and is now on the verge of playing for them! Boys own stuff and then some. I've wrote on these here pages times how highly I rate Adam Lewis as an in-house replacement for Alby's role the squad. But that's at youth level. This summer is where we get to find out if he's ready for proper big boy football. Rhian too as for all the ridiculous talent and potential, outside of an end of season kick-around in Australia a few years back I don't think he's played a game with the seniors yet has he? Massive chance this summer for both he and Origi to nail down spots in the opening league games. Has Ben Woodburn got over the massive blow to his confidence that was painfully obvious last season, after the bad first experience of senior football at Sheff. Utd? (Which should hopefully stand him in good stead for the next one and what to expect/ what's required to survive as a pro.). Has Harry Wilson made the required leap to be a part here long-term? Is Hoever's ridiculous rate of progress continuing to the point he's ready to be counted on when needed? And so much more with the other young lads and their stories at the differing stages of their embryonic football careers. 

Most of these lads will be going on tour the US too (love that Jurgen as good as confirmed Duncan and Glatzel will be a part of the trip to the States today), so the opportunities are massive this summer in every training session even to show they belong and are doing everything right to the massively high standard it takes to play for the European Champions. 

Throw in the intrigue and excitement of seeing Sepp for the first time, and Oxo-Chambo's long awaited return to consistent action, along with new formations/ player positions tried out (Chamberlain at WB for instance?), and this should be a real fun, relaxing pre-season to watch unfold. 

Up the future-proofing Reds!

Hail. 

• Like 2