Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Got to love NBC putting this game behind a paywall on Pea****. Bunch o' bollocks, as the scousers would say.

Biggest game of the year behind a paywall lol

If you have an American Express card, check your account's Amex offers. A lot of them have 4.99 off a 4.99 purchase for Pea**** up to 3 times, which is basically 3 months free.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-offers-pea****-streaming-spend-4-99-get-4-99-statement-credit-3-months-free-premium/

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Barcelona and Messi are the Club I notionally root for, because I got into La Liga a few years back, but the decline of the team has been sad.  Talented enough for La Liga, but haven't been good enough in Europe.  Messi is so talented... but so is Mbappe.  

Does Mbappe strike it like Ronaldo or Messi?  No, but his athleticism and footwork are fantastic.  Today's hat trick felt like a statement.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know why it's bad for tradition. 

But if the top 15 teams are winning and carrying the teams, driving the international viewers and paying most of the player salaries, why doesn't this make sense?    Is FIFA, UEFA, etc. going to lecture clubs for making money?  

6 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I know why it's bad for tradition. 

But if the top 15 teams are winning and carrying the teams, driving the international viewers and paying most of the player salaries, why doesn't this make sense?    Is FIFA, UEFA, etc. going to lecture clubs for making money?  

Goes completely against the integrity of competition. Imagine if the NFL expanded the salary cap for only the 6 most profitable teams? How would that be fair on the rest?

Premier League currently has Leicester and West Ham in the champions league spots. How is it fair on them to give worse run teams hundreds of extra millions to get back ahead of them? It absolutely stinks. 

It's embarrassing that the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal etc would rather create a new competition that they're included in than concentrate on winning more games to get ahead of the likes of Leicester and West Ham who are taking chunks of their revenue by beating them. 

The thing I like most about European football having come to it late (and accidentally) from watching American sports is the promotion/relegation system, which injects meaning into matches for just about every team all season.

The thing I like least is how much money imbalances everything. Barcelona played a team last season where Messi's salary alone was bigger than the other side's entire operating budget... player salaries, stadium upkeep... everything.

I realize how this sounds coming from a Barcelona fan, since they're pretty much never going to have to risk relegation, and they're pretty much always going to be swimming in money because of their global popularity (although they're facing a crunch right now with around a billion in short term debt).

This proposed system makes both situations worse... It concentrates the money even more in the "super teams" (really... is Man U or AC Milan "super" right now?), and part of the system as I understand it is that the 15 founders can NEVER be relegated.

I'd almost be on board if it had 20 teams, with 6 promotion/relegation spots (maybe the 5 league winners plus the Champions League winner come up, bottom six go down), but this is pretty awful. 

It looks like the only people in the world in favor of this are the CEOs of the 15 clubs. All the supporters clubs have come out hard against this.

At what point do the big clubs only play their first team in this 'super-league'? Liverpool don't even bother showing up for what use to be the League Cup. Even though they have won it the most times. And fixture congestion is already blamed for teams not playing their best side in the FA Cup. So let's add the Super League on top. Would the Champion's League become the Super League 'Second Division' in effect?

How about Liverpool moving their home games to  Dubai, Shanghai or New York instead of Anfield? Surely there is more short term revenue to be made even if it kills the clubs long-term.

If FIFA is able to make a ban stick on super-league players not representing their national teams, which players will not want to participate? In other sports where multiple organizations ran their own competitions it only diminished them and they ended up consolidating again.

Edited by Corcaigh

Counterpoint: Outside of their cities... who wants to watch Burnley vs. Brighton?  

US analog would be if Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame attempted to break away from their conferences for a superconference.  

Again, I understand tradition and this negates the domestic leagues.... but the high quality of football and teams involved.

10 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Counterpoint: Outside of their cities... who wants to watch Burnley vs. Brighton?  

US analog would be if Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame attempted to break away from their conferences for a superconference.  

Again, I understand tradition and this negates the domestic leagues.... but the high quality of football and teams involved.

I'd much rather watch Burnley v Brighton in a game that means something than Arsenal v Leipzig in a dead rubber given there's no relegation. 

It's not about that though. These clubs still have fanbases and everything they dream of (ie getting into europe and competing against the best teams) is being torn away from them. It's a disgrace. 

The main thing is that these clubs aren't earning qualification on the pitch. They're earning qualification because they're rich and have the opportunity to only get richer. It genuinely sickens me to the core. 

Edited by Morrison J
  • Like 1

To follow up, the super league is always going to happen given the money to be generated. EPL/UEFA/LALIGA allowed this to happen because they were lured by the money of globalization of their teams. Now that business men are in charge of their super clubs (which they allowed it to happen) so of course the owners are going to maximize their profits. 

Ideally the soccer club owners want the NFL model, owner have all the power, make all the decisions and share the wealth so some oil baron couldn't spend billions and force them to spend the money they don't have to compete. 

Plus they don't want their players to play in internationals during the season, so I doubt banning players is going to sway them much.

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Isn't that what the National Championship is for?

Don't historic rivalries mean anything?

And weren't Notre Dame **** just a few years ago?

20 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

Plus they don't want their players to play in internationals during the season, so I doubt banning players is going to sway them much.

It will be seen as a benefit to the CEOs and some of their managers. But may influence a player to chose say Leeds, Everton, Villa, Newcastle or another big club with history that is not in the 'elite' six. Sure, no player is probably excited play Azerbaijan away in a European qualifier in Winter, but the opportunity to play in the World Cup?

Playing at Leeds for 50k a week vs 200k a week at Liverpool, very few players is going to turn that down just to play in the world cup.

And without the top six can Leeds even afford to pay 50k a week without a rich owner who doesn't care about profits. The teams in the EFL are always at risk of running out of money.

Basically EPL without the big six will need to find owners willing to write off massive amount of losses for the bragging right of owning Newcastle.  Maybe they can find more Russian oil tycoon or an oil sheik looking for ways to spend their millions to polish up their PR image.