Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Blackburn looks to be leveling off.  Fanbase is now questioning whether Bowyer is the right choice to move forward with.  I think he should definitely have the rest of the season and then reevaluate.  But it all depends on what the goal was.  If promotion this year, he's failed.  If promotion next year I keep him.  I think he's done a good job of getting rid of a lot of deadwood and bringing in young players who are scrappy and care about the club.

As far as the Premiership race, I do hope Liverpool can pull it off.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2014/03/26/hillsborough-memorial-plans

Everton are planning to erect a permanent memorial at Goodison Park to the memory of the 96 supporters who died at Hillsborough in 1989.

The Club has been in discussions for a number of months with an Everton supporter whose brother was one of the fans tragically killed ahead of the FA Cup semi-final encounter between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

Everton's Head of Media and Communications Mark Rowan said: "Plans at this moment are in the early stages. But we have a commitment to unveil a memorial to coincide with the 25th anniversary of that tragic day.

"Evertonians and the Club have always stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the families of the Hillsborough victims during their long fight for justice and we feel it is fitting that our home should have a permanent tribute to the 96."

• Like 3

Really not sure what to make of that TBH.

All seems very strange. Not least the timing.

Hail.

Apparently it was the idea and the pushing of an Everton supporter that contacted Everton, whos brother was one of those lost. From what I understand thats what he wanted.

Most Everton supporters from Liverpool are completely for it as they had friends and family that were lost. So its seems to also be a memorial for Everton supporters to remember those they lost.

See, I wholeheartedly agree with Everton's sentiments that this is about the City and affected the City.

It just seems strange and sits funny. Every time we go to Goodison many still sing 'murderers' (admittedly over Heysel but very relative); and it leaves open the possibility of the minority defacing something on their own ground for their neighbours.

Nice sentiment. Just not sure about it at all.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Oh mah goodness!

CLEAN SHEETS!!!

My son got his second A team start tonight, and produced another clean sheet match! The team we played tonight had many more really good looks and 9 serious shots on goal...all handled. I'm so proud I could pop! I know he's playing totally against the odds right now but man is it fun! One thing I really enjoyed is that the home team parents were pretty loud and apparently used to winning, their silence late in the match was golden. ;)

13460038634_e8f3bb3a17_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 3

According to the Daily MIrror, a group of Manchester United fans have paid for a plane to fly over Old Trafford this weekend with a banner that wants Moyes out:

Manchester United's David Moyes 'will face fly-by protest during Villa game on Saturday'

Group of season-ticket holders claim they have paid for a plane to tow 'Wrong One - Moyes Out' banner through the sky above Old Trafford.

Angry Manchester United fans will turn up the heat on David Moyes this weekend by hiring a plane to buzz Old Trafford with a banner demanding he is sacked as manager.

The supporters have chipped in to raise £840 to pay for a light aircraft to circle the ground before kick-off of the struggling champions' Saturday's lunchtime fixture against Aston Villa, towing a banner with the words ‘Wrong One - Moyes Out’.<rest at link>

Hey GHH, can you lend some of these fans your 'David Moyes - Football Genius' banner for the weekend????
Edited by btfoom
  • Like 1

Petition to cancel the rest of Arsenal's PL games and jump to the FA semis lol.

Sidenote, it's crazy how Arsenal fans are so content with mediocrity. I just got into an argument with a guy that questioned me for agreeing with someone that "winning was all that matters".

Making the CL for what 16-17 years is great and all but I want more than that. 

• Like 1

Petition to cancel the rest of Arsenal's PL games and jump to the FA semis lol.

Sidenote, it's crazy how Arsenal fans are so content with mediocrity. I just got into an argument with a guy that questioned me for agreeing with someone that "winning was all that matters".

Making the CL for what 16-17 years is great and all but I want more than that. 

No! They need to play their best game of the season tomorrow. Come on Arsenal!

So my friends little boy earlier gave me inspiration for what should be a fun exercise to do and read. He was putting down his favourite current Liverpool team, and it struck me as a fun thing to do if we where all to name a best XI from our respective teams through your time as a fan. Either from afar or watching live. 

This is a REAL toughie for me as I go back to 1981 for my first ever game, and I've been exceptionally fortunate enough to of seen some of the greatest players to ever play the game, let alone for my club, over the intervening 33 years. But for ****s and giggles, with massive apology's to those left out; in a traditional 4-4-2 formation here's my best ever Liverpool team from my match going lifetime:

1. G/K. Bruce Grobbelaar. 

I just missed seeing the great Ray Clemence, but his Zimbabwean replacement wasn't half bad. I've never seen any 'keeper that had Brucie's gymnastic-like athleticism. He'd spring and twist like a gazelle to make the most incredible saves. (As a related aside, I remember when Freddy Lakers airline went bust the Saturday of a home game I forget against who, and the Kop greated him with 'Fred-dy La-ker, Fred-dy La-ker, Brucie's better in the air .....' Off the cuff Scouse wit at it's finest. :lol:.). And then for all the brillance, you got the World class gaffs. Like Bruce tipping up on the halfway line trying to tackle Imrie Varadi and leaving the Sheffield Wednesday player with an open net.  :lol:. But that was Brucie. He loved the game and the club so much he wanted to be involved in everything. And a fantastic character. From walking around Wembley on his hands to celebrate another Lge Cup victory to standing behind the Kop goal to lead the crowd ..... DURING the game, lol; Grobbelaar was unique. But what a goalie. 

2. RB. Phil Neal.

Or 'Zico' as we called him. The man who single handedly redefined fullback play into the attacking fulback's of the modern game. 25 major honours over 12 years and the only player to play in the first 4 European Cup winning sides. (And all of the first 5 finals.). Solid defender. Great supporting the attack. And one of the best penalty takers the games ever seen.

3. LB. Rob Jones.

This could well of been Alan Kennedy or even the injury unlucky Jim Beglin, but Robbie Jones is one of the finest and unluckiest players I've ever seen. Naturally a RB, I'm finding a slot on the other side as he played just as well there when Evo signed McAteer, went to the 5 at the back/ wing back system and moved Rob to the left hand side. This was a man who made his debut 48 hours after being signed from 4th division Crewe Alexander, at the tender age of 19, on live TV at Old Trafford and never gave Ryan Giggs a kick in a Man of the Match performance. Indeed Giggs has always said he's the toughest opponent he's ever faced. Were it not for injury, he'd of gone down as an all time English great for both club and Country. I'm in no doubt about that.

4. CH. Sami Hyypia.

Modern day legend. The big Fin was unheard of when Gerrard Houllier signed him from Willem II back in 1999; but 10 years later he left as one of our greatest ever defenders. Class personified. Brilliant ball playing defender who never got caught out of position. Fantastic organiser of his fellow defenders. Solid in the tackle. Great in the air. And he scored some vital goals over the years. Great leader and captain too. And a true boyhood red as so many Scandinavians are. Pound for pound, at a mere £ 2.6 million, the bst signing the clubs made in the Premier League era for my money. Travesty Benitez let him go and he didn't finish his career at the club. (And he was German Player of the Year the year after his release too.).

5. RW. Steve McManaman.

A name that I'm sure will be more familiar to you guys through his TV work alongside Ian Darke. But man could the skinny ****er play.  :lol:. Wizard of the dribble. The ball was glued to his foot. Tremendous talent. Local lad made good that came right through every level at the club. Macca and Robbie Fowler single handedly carried Liverpool Football Club through a large part of the '90's when we didn't have much to cheer. So, SO pleased that he went on to great success at Madrid. Seeing him score in one of the two European Cup final wins he had there was awesome. The only thing that let Stevie down was his finishing. Often after some superb individual brilliance to create the chance for himself. But what a player. Modern day great. 

6. CH. Alan Hansen.

'Eyes are blue. 6 foot 2. Alan Hansen's after you ..... ' Like Hyypia, classy, CALSSY ball playing centre half. Jockey was never the most vocal, but he was a leader by example with his play. He always seemed so elegant and effortless out there. Never out of position. Never panicked. Just a rock at centre half who aided many an attack with his silky skills. His partnership with Mark Lawrenson, who is real unlucky to be omitted, is as good as there's ever been ANYWHERE. Such a pity he never went into coaching as I'm sure he'd of been a top one. 

7. CF. Kenny Dalglish.

The King. Best £ 440,000 the club has ever spent. Aside from being one of the finest players to EVER put on boots, ANYWHERE, what this man means to both my football club and my City I can't possibly put into words. The way he threw his door open, along with his wife, to anyone that needed him after Hillsborough is a mark of the man. In the same way Coach Joe did after Sean's tragic passing, he literally put not just the club, but the whole darn City's grief on his shoulders to the extent it ultimately wore him that down it cost him the one job he loved above all others. He was my first and he'll ALWAYS be my number 1 hero. Both in sports and life. 

8. CM. Steven Gerrard.

The only current player to make the team. Go figure? I don't need to gush about about a true local LEGEND as you all know about him so well. Stevie would go into my all time XI from our rich history, That's how influential he's been. World class player. Hopefully this is the year he finally gets to lift the one trophy missing from his collection .....

9. CF. Ian Rush.

Club top scorer with 346 goals. Club top league scorer with 229 goals. Top scorer in Merseyside derbys with 25 goals. All time top scorer in FA Cup Finals with 5 goals. 2nd all time FA Cup top scorer. Joint all time League Cup top scorer. Just a phenomenal goal machine who was also our best defender. NOBODY worked harder than Rushie at both ends of the field. And his partnership with King Kenny was telepathic. 

10. LW. John Barnes.

The single most naturally gifted footballer the clubs ever had IMHO. He was like a ballerina with the ball at his feet. And he just used to glide past opponents. Pace, power, grace and unbelievable ability. Made even more ridiculous as he was a stocky fella'. Two great feet, great in the air, scored goals. Set piece wizard. Just sheer genius. For those first 3 years or so, there wasn't a player on the planet who could touch Digger. It was give it Barnsie. He'll either beat 5 men and score himself. Or he'll beat 5 men and put it on a plate for Aldo. And when the legs slowed, he moved into central midfield and totally dictated games from there. Such a pity his best years encompassed the ban from Europe as I have no doubt that side would of won another 2 or 3 European Cups. 

11. CM. Graeme Souness. (Captain.).

Steven Gerrard before Steven Gerrard. Best captain and leader of men we've ever had IMHO, save for maybe Emlyn Hughes. And the single hardest player I've ever seen who took NO **** from anyone. For example, the 1984 European Cup semi against Steau Bucharest. This big Romanian hatchet man raked his studs down Kennys leg and put him out. Souey didn't forget. Not long after, he got him self the blindside of the ref and lino, on the Kemmy touchline, and right hooked the fella. Broke his jaw in three places.  That's what we call looking after your own. Scouse style.   :lol:. Brilliant leader. Brilliant passer of a ball. Hell of a shot on him that contributed to many vital goals. Hard as nails, fearless tackler with a great engine, Just the complete midfielder and my captain in a side full of captains. 

5 Englishmen, 3 Scots, a Welshman, Fin and Zimbabwean. Homegrown side who understood the club, gave their all, and who would give any side in history a run for their money. Again, I feel so privileged to of seen all those players and other all time greats live on a regular basis over the years. 

And just for the Hell of it, I'll try 5 subs and a manager. 

12. Pepe Reina. Had he had a longer career, he may well of been my #1.

14. Steve Nicol. Who you guys will know as the ex Revolution boss. One of the most versatile players ever. Brilliant defender that could play in any slot with the ability of a top midfielder.

15. Ronnie Whelan. Gets in ahead of Suarez for balance. This best compliment I can pay the Irishman is you never realsed just how good or how vital he was to the side until he wasn't in it. Quiet man who was one Hell of a footballer. Versatile, hard as nails. great passer and football brain, and scorer of many vital goals. 

16. Jan Molby, One of the best foreign inports the English game has ever seen. Best passer of a ball I've ever seen and deadly dead ball/ penalty expert. 

17. Robbie Fowler. Most natural finisher I've ever seen. Premier League legend. True Scouser. Hell, we call him 'GOD.' What more needs adding?

Manager: Bob Paisley. 20 major trophy's in a mere 9 years at the helm. STILL the only coach/ manager to win 3 European Cups. 53 years one club man as a player then every job right through to the top one. And one of the nicest, most humblest men walking. 'Uncle' Bob. Hell, he used to attend press conferences in his cardigan and slippers.  :lol:. One of the hardest jobs in football is following a legend. (See David Moyes Football GENIUS! right now.  ;) .). Bob not only did that, but both rebuilt and IMPROVED Shankly's side and had even greater success in just 9 years. One of the most astute football minds there has ever been. So cruel that he ended up with alzheimers. 

So there you go. Feel free to play along. You don't need to write about the players I just started typing, memories flowed and I couldn't stop.  :lol:, Thank you for indulging me. Looking forward to reading others hopefully. 

Oh yeah, for the record, Jordan Henderson would of been in all 11 spots if truth be told but I wanted to be fair and to give others a chance so the legend that is Hendo had to sit this one out. Forgive me lil' bro and jobaga man.  :P

Hail. 

• Like 2

No! They need to play their best game of the season tomorrow. Come on Arsenal!

If they win that win it's hard to see them not winning it all. As awesomely great form as we're in, Citeh are looking just as good if not better as they've tightened at the back. 

BIG weekend this weekend. 

Hail. 

So, if we beat Fulham thus weekend and Arsenal loses to City it gets interesting. We would be 3 points back with a game in hand going into the Arsenal game at Goodison.

You know I shouldn't be saying this but I really hope you get 4th. You both deserve a reward for your fine season and it would be funny as all Hell to witness Wengers meltdown. 

Of course the fact that I'm confident Everton would go out in the qualifier is neither here nor there.  :P

Hail. 

• Like 1

Terry McDermott, Mark Lawrenson, Steve Heighway, Jim Beglin and Ronnie Whelan are all grevious omissions, and that's just Irish players.

OK, Terrence wasn't technically Irish, but you get the point. :D

Neither was Preston born MarK Lawrenson, but the points well made.  :P

Hail. 

Terry McDermott, Mark Lawrenson, Steve Heighway, Jim Beglin and Ronnie Whelan are all grevious omissions, and that's just Irish players.

OK, Terrence wasn't technically Irish, but you get the point. :D

Just for you man, an all-Irish team of reds:

G/K. Elisha Scott. The one man from the North. But hey, some say he was better than Clemence so start with the VERY best. 

RB.  Steve Finnan. 

LB.  Jim Beglin.

CH.  Mark Lawrenson.

CH.  Phil Babb, 

RW. Ray Houghton.

LW. Steve Highway. 

CM. Jason McAteer. 

CM. Ronnie Whelan. (Captain.). 

CF. John Aldridge. 

CF. Robbie Keane. 

Bar Babb and to a lesser extent McAteer, that's a pretty good looking side. Sure there's more if I really thought about it. Kevin Sheedy would be in if it were not for Highway for one. 

Hail. 

• Like 2